1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Isalm and Ben Franklin-

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BFISA, Jan 8, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I agree with you there...our troops are doing wonderful things in the sandbox as far as infrastructure and weeding out bad guys, but like Viet Nam, the media concentrates on the negatives, and Joe Six-pack is none the wiser.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Wafa Sultan-A Damn Fine Woman

One impressive woman
    Here is a powerful and amazing statement on Al Jazeera television.
    The woman is Wafa Sultan, an Arab-American psychologist from Los Angeles. I
    would suggest watching it ASAP because I don't know how long the link will
    be active. This film clip should be shown around the world repeatedly!

Plays well on Windows Media.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    at least this time around there's plenty of alternative media to at least give the other story a fighting chance AND there is the awareness of the bias of the MSM that was unknown back during the vietnam era

4. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree 100%.

My only beef is with the mainstream media which is constsnt 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Bad America Bad

We are constantly fed it.

That is why I do not like and watch the mainstream media that is out there.

I mostly get my news from Drudge.

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...and here come the sheep-

>From the Associated Press (AP).....

AMSTERDAM - A Roman Catholic Bishop in the Netherlands has proposed people of all faiths refer to God as Allah to foster understanding, stoking an already heated debate on religious tolerance in a country with one million Muslims.

Bishop Tiny Muskens, from the southern diocese of Breda, told Dutch television on Monday that God did not mind what he was named and that in Indonesia, where Muskens spent eight years, priests used the word "Allah" while celebrating Mass.

"Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? ... What does God care what we call him? It is our problem."

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    This is one of the reasons why I love the USA.

I can choose to believe in what God I want.

I can even choose not to belive if that is my choice.

I can call God what ever I want like God, Buddha, Allah or even Vishnu.

It does not matter, we have that freedom here.

7. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    They're even doing a better job killing innocent civilians.

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Foxnews linky

9. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I suggest you spend some time with a Marine and see what is really happening.

My buddy, lives two doors down, goes to Afghan, after 3 in Iraq.

The civilians die because the militia shoot from behind them.

My buddy has real trouble sleeping at night as a result.

Deal with that one.........Get an effin passport and go there before you spout about that kinda crap........

• Like Like x 1
  10. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I hear ya Bro, but I'm told he's entitled to his opinion...sometimes tho, even the PTB here have gotta be shakin their heads; I know I did before I put'im on ignore.

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...and the kill their own people-

Suicide bombers kill hundreds of Iraqis

But I'll bet $1M he'll find a way to blame the US.

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  13. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Email from a friend-

Morning Team,

Hamtramack couple years back allowed the Muslim call to prayer to be broadcast from their Mosques. It was said that because the Catholics allowed their church bells to ring at noon and 6:00 PM, marking a "call to prayer" it was only right to allow the Muslims to do the same.

Now being a "good catholic boy" I only assimilated the church bells as meaning it's noon and 6:00 PM, not a "call to prayer" as their city council stated. Don't know of any other Catholics who considered the church bells to be anything other than that. I know sometimes I want to take my 30-06 and put out them church bells, but I'm just an old codger who tries to grab sleep when he can, so I'm prejudice.

Dearborn, another Detroit suburb, is the little "Middle East" with charter schools teaching English as a "second language" with Arabic being their first. The area of 7 Mile and Woodward (for those familiar) back in 72 when I moved in was mostly black with some European white folks. Now it's all an Arab or Serbian enclave.

Highland Park, and Hamtramack are two cities within the borders of Detroit. Hamtramack used to be the Polish capitol of the US, but obviously has been taken over by our "new" Arab immigrants. Lots of black folks moving back, as long time ago there was a class action suit of them being displaced to make room for white folks, which they won. So they're getting huge breaks on mortgages and moving back in. My partner moved into a beautiful new home, just off Conant and I-75 (for those familiar) and his "quarter of the block" is made up of beautiful new homes. However everything surrounding him is low ghetto. I'm assuming the plan is to knock down the ghetto homes and put up new homes, but they have a long way to go.

Detroit is also a sanctuary city, where they're not allowed to arrest for being an illegal alien, and can't ask their status when they're arrested for real crimes. They continually blame the whites for their demise as a city, but they've had a black rule since 1974 when Coleman Young took over and the city has been down sliding ever since. Now that Kwame is the new mayor, it's even more gaffe. Had a party at the mansion where some hookers died...all covered up. State boys investigated, but had all their files confiscated. Same thing happened when Coleman was in office. There was a special investigative squad that came to work one day, only to find all their files gone, and each assigned out to another precinct or unit. No warning, just one day investigating some heavy well named folks, and the next day, bingo, boom...all gone.

I know that Michael Moore the heavy weight prize fighter bought four gold plated Walther PPKs from Coleman...and they wondered where his Kugerands went. Also, when they built the people mover (above ground tramway that circles the downtown area) it costs millions more, as Coleman found that some of the steel was made in South Africa so it all had to be removed and replaced with "US Steel."

Detroit is down to around 850,000 residents. My old precinct has been pretty much bulldozed and their making new apartments and condos. The Police department is run by a lawyer female chief who has contempt for the working cop, and supports the mayor "completely" even though she knows of the parties, and him driving around in SUVs that were supposed to go to the undercover units, and riding around on Police motorcycles, with the motor squad when he didn't have a motorcycle license (which anyone else gets their bikes impounded and arrested). Corruption abounds, and I'm so glad to be out of there. They even have a "hat patrol" where the officers are forbidden to respond to police runs, as their ONLY assignment is to drive around and make sure officers have their hats on when they exit the car. We got written up once for bailing out the car to chase an armed gunman (we caught him without firing a shot, and got a good conviction), but we didn't have our hats on, so we got written up. Just have to love those "real police."

Hugs and ear kisses,

Bob S
    DPD-Ret
    And damned glad to be out of there

"Sanctuary cities"?? What BS!!

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    An oldie (not run thru Snopes)

SIGN IN A STORE WINDOW:

"WE WOULD RATHER DO BUSINESS WITH 1000
    AL QAEDA TERRORISTS THAN WITH ONE SINGLE AMERICAN"

This sign was prominently displayed in the window of a business in Philadelphia .
    You are probably outraged at the thought of such an inflammatory statement. But we pride ourselves on being a society which holds Freedom of Speech as perhaps our greatest liberty. And after all, it is just a sign.
    You may ask what kind of business would dare post such a sign?

Answer: A Funeral Home
    (Who said morticians had no sense of humor?)

15. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    San Diego is a Sanctuary City...Not all cops abide, but most do because they don't want the crap from management that comes with calling ICE or BP.

TBF

16. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    100% Freedom of Speech...It may not be the best business move, or the smartest health move. But this person has every right to say what they wish. Too many of us have fought for this right...

TBF

17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  20. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Quality control appears to be lacking? :lol:

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
  22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    God truly is great!!

23. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Thanks for that. It put a smile on my Friday.

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    An email from a Special Forces Brother in Phoenix-

Guys,
    Don't know if you have heard about the way 9/11 is remembered in Az or not? The schools are to spend most of 9/11/07 teaching "diversity" and why we were/are under attack by the poor misunderstood Muslims. Here is a little about the official Az memorial:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0910911memorial0910.html

9/11 memorial still a lightning rod
    Groups clash over revision process

<But many of those same phrases soon became the target of criticism. Some, such as "You don't win battles of terrorism with more battles," were called anti-war or anti-American. Still more, including "Grace of Phoenix made kids giggle again," were labeled inane.

The memorial became a flashpoint in the race for governor, with Munsil vowing to tear it down if he were elected.

But the public remained divided. Supporters rallied to the memorial's defense at a series of public hearings, saying the memorial reflects the nation's conflicted psyche in the days surrounding the terrorist>

That gives you an idea of the flavor, if you want more click on the above.

Jerry in Phx *new home of the ultra liberals and a big mess of illegals all celebrating National Heritage Month (photos at azcentral.com)

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Mebbe there's hope-

A Fatwa Against Violence
    By ROBERT MCFARLANE
    August 25, 2007; Wall Street Journal, Page A6

Cairo

Last week, I participated in a three day meeting here that included six of the most senior Iraqi Sunni and Shia religious leaders. At the meeting, held at a Marriott hotel in a Cairo suburb, they formally agreed to "end terrorist violence, and to disband militia activity in order to build a civilized country and work within the framework of law."

This gathering was a truly historic event, given the authority of the participants -- including Sheikh Ahmed al Kubaisi, acknowledged by all Iraqis as the senior Sunni religious authority (the weekly audience for his Friday sermons, broadcast from Dubai, number 20 million), and Ayatollah Sayyid Ammar Abu Ragheef, chief of staff for Grand Ayatollah Ali al Sistani, the acknowledged leader of the Shia community in Iraq and beyond. One has only to consider the power of these specific religious leaders, and the instruments at their disposal for getting results, to grasp the gathering's enormous potential importance.

Going well beyond traditional rhetoric in their closing statement late last week, they stated their intention to work for the early issuance of a joint Sunni-Shia fatwa to the Iraqi people. A fatwa such as this will carry the force of law for all followers. Think about that. After more than four years of brutal warfare and untold suffering, the leading religious authorities in Iraq have joined hands and said "Enough," and have committed to use their authority to bring peace to their country.

How does this relate to the Iraqi government and coalition forces? Can these clerics achieve anything concrete? If so how soon? And will it be enforceable?

Simply stated, these men -- all self-interested stewards of their separate Sunni and Shia constituencies -- have seen that their government's failure to act could lead Iraq into an irretrievable situation. They feel a moral imperative to fill the power vacuum. As for whether their actions will be taken seriously and be enforceable, the affirmative answer lies in the acknowledged role of the mosque, and of the grand ayatollahs and imams of the seniority represented here in Arab societies.

As additional evidence that Iraq's most senior religious leaders see the potential for catastrophe in prolonged violence unabated by government action, Grand Ayatollah Ali al Sistani has reached out to the most senior Sunni Imams and asked that they meet with him as soon as possible in Najaf, Iraq, to focus on peacemaking. Such an invitation by the most senior Shia for a meeting with the most senior Sunni is unprecedented in Iraq's history.

It was also noteworthy that these leaders included Sheikh Abdul Lateef Humayeem, the former personal iman to Saddam Hussein. Welcoming Mr. Humayeem to this very elite circle -- a religious board of directors in Iraq -- is a clear signal to former Baath civil servants and military officers that they will be welcome in the new Iraq.

Here in the West we tend to discount the role of religion in resolving disputes. Indeed our diplomatic tradition eschews involving religion -- or even mentioning it -- in diplomatic discourse. Clearly, however, its role is central in underpinning the sectarian violence in Iraq. U.S. Ambassador to Iraq, Ryan Crocker, understands that, as well as the powerful role that religious leaders could play if they chose to do so. He has been a strong supporter -- as has the U.S. commander in Iraq, Gen. David Petraeus -- of the painstaking process that preceded this meeting in Cairo. Nothing like this has ever occurred in Iraq's history -- and yet it is happening.

Going forward, the key leaders have agreed to a calendar of concrete actions starting with the unprecedented meeting with Grand Ayatollah Ali al Sistani in Najaf within two weeks. If that meeting goes well, it could lend momentum to the early development of the planned joint Sunni-Shia fatwa. Such a fatwa would stand as a historic milestone with profound meaning and effect on the Iraqi people.

To be fair, it was clear that one of the factors which motivated these very senior leaders to come together was their common goal of getting the U.S. out of Iraq -- obviously a goal we share, assuming we can achieve an acceptable degree of security before leaving. Just as important, however, was their alarm over growing Iranian influence in southern Iraq and the common sentiment among them that they do not want to be dominated by Iran.

This process of nurturing reconciliation by bringing Iraq's religious leaders together -- gradually in small groups leading to a conference this past June involving over 70 leaders, and devolving now here in Cairo to the six most senior clerics in all Iraq -- has been led by Canon Andrew White, an Anglican priest who has established his contacts and credibility with Iraqi leaders during more than nine years of service in Baghdad. Mr. White is a commanding presence and a man who deserves our prayers and support. The process he has organized and set in motion could mark a turning point in the wretched history of Iraq.

26. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Al Qaeda Offers Bounty for Murder of Swedish Cartoonist
    Saturday, September 15, 2007

CAIRO, Egypt — The leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq offered money for the murder of a Swedish cartoonist and his editor who recently produced images deemed insulting to Islam, according to a statement carried by Islamist Web sites Saturday.

In a half hour audio file entitled "They plotted yet God too was plotting," Abu Omar al-Baghdadi also named the other insurgent groups in Iraq that Al Qaeda was fighting and promised new attacks, particularly against the minority Yazidi sect.

"We are calling for the assassination of cartoonist Lars Vilks who dared insult our Prophet, peace be upon him, and we announce a reward during this generous month of Ramadan of $100,000 for the one who kills this criminal," the transcript on the Web site said.

The Al Qaeda leader upped the reward for Vilks' death to $150,000 if he was "slaughtered like a lamb" and offered $50,000 for the killing of the editor of Nerikes Allehanda, the Swedish paper that printed Vilks' cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad with a dog's body on Aug. 19.

Vilks said from Sweden he believed the matter of his cartoons had been blown out of proportion.

"We have a real problem here," Vilks told The Associated Press by telephone. "We can only hope that Muslims in Europe and in the Western world choose to distance themselves from this and support the idea of freedom of expression."

Ulf Johansson, editor in chief of Nerikes Allehanda, said he took the bounty "more seriously" than other threats he had received. "This is more explicit. It's not every day somebody puts a price on your head."

Johansson said he had contacted the police and that they had already started work on the threat.

Aside from a few scattered protests and condemnations by Muslim countries, the reaction to the cartoon has been muted, in contrast to last year's fiery protests that erupted in several Muslim countries after a Danish newspaper published 12 cartoons of Muhammad that were reprinted in a range of Western media.

In an attempt to defuse the tensions caused by the cartoon in both Sweden and abroad, Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt last week invited 22 Sweden-based ambassadors from Muslim countries to talk about the sketch.

Reinfeldt expressed regret at the hurt it may have caused, but said that according to Swedish law it is not up to politicians to punish the free press.

Al-Baghdadi added in his message that if the "crusader state of Sweden" didn't apologize, his organization would also attack major companies.

"We know how to force you to retreat and apologize and if you don't, wait for us to strike the economy of your giant companies including Ericsson, Scania, Volvo, Ikea, and Electrolux," he said.

No photo has ever appeared of al-Baghdadi, whom the U.S. describes as a fictitious character used to give an Iraqi face to an organization dominated by foreigners.

The U.S. has said that under interrogation, a top Al-Qaeda member revealed that al-Baghdadi's speeches are read by an actor.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq in the past has carried out operations in Jordan and may have links to militant groups in Lebanon, but is not known to have any kind of presence in Europe.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296899,00.html

------------------------------------------------------------------

Um yeah but let's negotiate with these people. :icon_rofl: :icon_evil:

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Saudi women wanna drive

<snip>JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia - For the first time ever, a group of women in the only country that bans female drivers have formed a committee to lobby for the right to get behind the wheel, and they plan to petition King Abdullah in the next few days for the privilege.

The government is unlikely to respond because the issue remains so highly sensitive and divisive. But committee members say their petition will highlight what many Saudis — both men and women — consider a “stolen” right.

“We would like to remind officials that this is, as many have said, a social and not a religious or political issue,” said Fowziyyah al-Oyouni, a founding member of the Committee of Demanders of Women’s Right to Drive Cars. “And since it’s a social issue, we have the right to lobby for it.”<snip>

Good luck with that :icon_eek:

For more, click on the linky.

29. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  30. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171