1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It has already started.....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Aug 20, 2016.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
  2. woodeye

woodeye Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51
    scheisse...

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Cumberbatch is a guy who would've made the team.:tdown:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Well you know the stupid pre-season injuries are gonna happen. In all honesty, if these are the two guys we lose (and no one else) I would be pretty pleased with that. Sucks for those guys, but better to lose them than say Allen, Verrett, Liuget, Perryman, Rivers....etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Some very superstitious person needs to burn this post and ensure that the words are never spoken aloud.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Frozendisc

Frozendisc BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

Yep, seriously bad juju......

7. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Rivers better not play another snap. The 2nd team OL is trash.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +306
    The loss of Cumberland hurts. We are going to need better TEs than Cleveland and Henry to go with Gates.

The loss Clark for this season might work out in our favor in the long run. If the team had been forced to try to get Clark to the PS, he might not have made without getting picked up by another team based upon his potential. This way, the team can develop him without that risk. When he comes back next year, he will be even more likely to make the final 53 and produce for the team.

9. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Chargers RG D.J. Fluker on crutches after today's practice, scheduled for MRI, source says: http://sdut.us/2bqGMkx

10. ShowYourBolts

ShowYourBolts Offering free samples.

Ratings:
    +114
    Clark was looking like a good possibility as well.

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    This guy is a good teammate and a soldier, but an out of shape one at that. I very much doubt if he will make it into the second phase of his NFL career as full on starter.

12. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    Yeah, Fluker has played injured for the majority of his career. Usually ankle issues. Weird that a guy would be prone to joint issues when he balloons up to 360 lbs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
  14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Weighty challenges test Fluker's career
    By Tom Krasovic | 10:42 a.m.Aug. 23, 2016

The move to guard last August disagreed with Chargers starter D.J. Fluker, a former Alabama star and 2013 first-round draft pick who'd played only tackle.

"At first,"Fluker said at season's end, "I hated it.

"Hated it. But the more I played, the better I got."

The new gig made Fluker the highest-penalized guard in the NFL last year.

He had successes, however, such as solid showings against massive tackles Haloti Ngata and Ndamukong Suh.

When General Manager Tom Telesco reviewed Fluker's 2015 season, he stopped short of declaring him a long-term guard.

He did, though, praise Fluker three times on one point.

"There's a different tempo when he's in there," the GM said.

Unlucky in health, Fluker has sustained lower leg injuries every year since he, as the No. 11 pick overall, became the first draftee of the Telesco Era. When Monday's practice ended, a frustrated-looking Fluker wore a walking boot and held a crutch.

The question the blocker and the Chargers have to answer is, would Fluker be less vulnerable to such injuries if he were lighter?

He's not a light-footed performer, making it more important that his body composition and weight are ideal.

Fluker's best season, in The Blog's view, coincided with the blocker's lightest playing weight.

Then a rookie, he weighed 338 pounds in his first spring camp. He went on to start 17 games, including two in the AFC playoffs.

As a college right tackle months before the 2013 draft, he weighed 336 to 337 pounds for Alabama's national championship-winning team.

In his rookie season, Fluker contributed to a sturdy ground game. He powered aside edge defenders to help get speedster Ryan Mathews to the perimeter. He even worked at left tackle, surviving with quick-pass assistance from Philip Rivers.

There were bumpy moments, but all told, it was a solid rookie season that matched or exceeded the performances of three tackles who went earlier in the draft.

Year two with the Chargers saw the 6-foot-5 blocker's weight rise above 350 pounds. Fluker's work was uneven. Speed rushers gave him trouble. There were assignment glitches.

Chargers speed rushers got around him last August. Following a rough day in pass protection, the much-speculated career shift came: he was moved to right guard.

Growing pains there related to spacing, awareness and angles. A concussion and an ankle injury also marred his 2015 season.

He figured out a few things, though, such as how to "punch" and "cover up" defenders in his new, tighter work space.

"I said, 'This is where I need to be, to be nasty and aggressive; this is my spot,' " he said after the season. "Eventually, I had to find my own game, and I did that."

In January, he vowed to "get lean" over the months to come.

"We're going to figure out the right plan for D.J.," he said.

When he finished up spring camp in mid-June, he was a more muscular figure. Yet his 348-pound weight brought him up short.

He said he wanted to get closer to 330 by the first game this season, Sept. 11. "It matters to me, so I can play quicker and faster," he said.

When training camp opened July 30, he looked more muscular than in 2014. His weight was 344 pounds. "I'm gonna get there; by the end of the month, I should be," he said of the 330-plus-pound target.

When Fluker toiled in hot, humid Alabama, where padded, full-contact practices twice a day were part of summer camp, he found it less dicey to hover near a target weight. In the NFL, there are no two-a-day sessions. Full-contact, padded practices are rare due to the collective bargaining agreement.

Shedding 15 pounds with the Tide was a snap, said Fluker, who was four years younger then.

"Oh, easily," he said. "They worked you to death over there. They want you be a machine, going in and work."

Once outside of Coach Nick Saban's ultra-competitive football lab, Alabama football alums have been known to struggle with maintaining NFL-level fitness. One notable example was running back Trent Richardson, who gained too much weight after the Cleveland Browns traded up to make him a top-5 draft pick.

The injury to Fluker was undisclosed Monday.

Until the setback, he was getting all of the first-team snaps.

He praised the effects of working next to new Bolts center Matt Slauson, who had far more experience than any of his previous Chargers teammates at the pivot other than Nick Hardwick, the starter in 2013.

"Now, being in this second year of playing (guard), it’s a time of progress," Fluker said earlier this month. "I think I’ve done a great job with it. This training camp proved that. I’ve got a lot more to go, I’ve still got a lot more growing to do."

15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Damn, more than 7 paragraphs...

16. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Take it from a guy who gets ankle injuries all the time.

He's going to miss time this season as well. The only way to heal those ligaments is staying off of it for several months... Which he can't do... So it's going to be like this his whole career. It'd be better if he just broke it and didn't do anything for a few months

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers RB Branden Oliver carted off with Achilles injury

San Diego Chargers running back Branden Oliver suffered an Achilles injury in a road contest against the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday and could be out for an extended period of time.

Oliver suffered the injury with 42 seconds left in the second quarter, going down on his own in what appeared to be a non-contact injury. Oliver had to be carted off of the field.

Oliver totaled 108 rushing yards in eight games in 2015, his third NFL season. Oliver finished last season on the injured reserve with turf toe.

The Buffalo product was projected to be a part of a three-back rotation for the Chargers that included Melvin Gordon and Danny Woodhead.

With Oliver unavailable indefinitely, the Chargers will look to first-year playersDreamius Smith and Kenneth Farrow.

18. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ Or maybe they could convert Chris Swain to be a running back...

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I think we should start a dead pool.
    Or a Survivor game.

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    So dreamius' injury isn't severe?

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Or a tontine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I love Oliver: great effort, great story. Deservedly a fan favorite.

But I think it's also fair to say that the Chargers are among a minority
    of teams on which he would secure a roster spot. If he were healthy and
    released today, I'd be surprised if another team signed him.

So, no, I don't think the Chargers will miss his 3.6 ypc much...
    but I think not having his attitude & work ethic in the locker room will take a psychological toll.

The newbie, Gus Johnson?
    This will be his fourth team, I think...
    which would be four more than the number of his NFL carries. :whistling:
    I'm praying Gordon busts out, because this is one thin RB crew...

• Agree Agree x 1