1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It is official, Rams to LA, Chargers have the OPTION to join them...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by IFiredCHart, Jan 12, 2016.

1. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
  2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    with most fans in San Diego jumping ship, and most football fans in LA going with the Rams or cheering for the raiders, how many fans would the Chargers pull in LA?

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    The final SB run starts now. Win now arseholes!!!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    So......

Dean Spanos has maybe 1/5 the leverage he previously had. He won't get a 50/50 split of ownership in inglewood anymore (baring the league demanding it and they won't). The best Spanos can hope for is that the Chargers are a tenant with good rent payments to the Rams and Kroenke. And yet again they would be the small fish in the big pond. And that pond will shrink enormously if the reports are true that the Raiders and San Diego are still talking.

At the same time San Diego gets a one year window to get its **** together and negotiate seriously with the Chargers. That means no more Mission Valley talk, no more not filing EIRs, no more bureaucratic games and (with Mayor Faulconer running unopposed) no more kowtowing to the hoteliers (who will likely make a shitload of money from the new stadium).

Both sides are almost on equal ground. If Spanos wants a deal done, this can be ready for a vote. If the Mayor wants to secure his legacy, he'll be ready for a vote.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    It's all about downtown this year. Dean has an additional $100 million from the league. Plus I believe that he will negotiate a deal with Stan to stay out of his market which will lead to more $$. All of this was part of the Spanos' plan to begin with. Get something out of a team moving to the LA market.

Even without LA, Dean still has leverage. Can file for relocation to another market such as San Antonio, St. Louis if this don't work out in SD.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It's impossible for me to believe Kroenke would willingly split the LA market if he didn't have to. I bet the terms he offers Spanos are extremely Rams friendly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I really don't want any NFL teams in Los Angeles. There is already so much sh!t going on around here. I still feel that the NFL and especially the Chargers are overestimating the market.

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Yes and it will go something like this:

"Hey Greece Ball, you can now try to recoup that fictional 25% of yours by putting a better product on the field (wherever the heck you end up) or else I'll take that away from you too!"

9. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Money grab complete
    100,000,000 mission valley new Q
    All is well in the land

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Great. Another freaking year of limbo.

All I really want out of all of this is some resolution, LA, San Diego, or Timbuktu, I don't care. I just want to know where they'll be playing.

11. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    Goodbye guys.

I know I never really posted here too often, but I had some great times here. I started cheering for the Bolts when I got into football in 2008. I was 15 at the time. Me becoming a fan was really arbitrary. That summer, I felt like buying Madden because I hadn't played it in a while and I chose the Chargers in the first game I played since they were the closest to me (I grew up in Riverside). I enjoyed the video game and then got into the actual NFL more as I learned more about the game and the Charger players. I think that was the year we ended up scrapping back from 4-8 to make the playoffs and then beat the Colts in the Wild Card game. That was freaking insane. Really it was Rivers and Gates who really drew me in and made me become a real fan of the team and sport. The Lakers have always been my number one love, and Rivers reminded me a lot of Kobe. From an outside perspective, he came off as arrogant. He talked too much trash and complained too much. He was tough on his teammates. But the underlying reason for all of that is because the guy just loves the game so much and wants to win so badly, and it lead to some really fun seasons.

But Rivers is on the way out. If you remove him and Gates from the team, I don't know what I identify with. Like I said, I've become a fan relatively recently. I don't know the team's history. I've witnessed a lot of turnover in the roster and front office. The ownership has made a lot of moves that make me question their competence and Spanos just generally comes off as unlikeable. And most importantly, I'm not from San Diego. I was born and raised in Riverside, and I've lived in Los Angeles for the past 6 years. I've even said it plenty of times on here, I always wanted the Chargers to move to LA.

But now that it's finally happened and football is officially back in LA, I have to jump ship. I feel terrible about it. I'm the most intense Laker fan in the world. I'd look down on a fellow Laker fan in disgust for jumping to another team for any reason. Yet here I am doing the same thing for my football teams. It's even worse since San Diego is still relatively local and there's even a decent chance the Chargers end up moving to LA anyways. I don't expect you guys to understand, but as someone who has lived in Los Angeles all of his adult life, football coming to this city is a big deal. I always said I would support a Los Angeles football team but I always hoped it would be the Chargers. Now that football is officially here in LA, I can't wait around hoping for the Chargers to move here too. What if they never come? Then I'd probably slowly transition into an LA Rams fan anyways in a few years but it would feel more like I was bandwagoning. Again, I don't expect you guys to understand, but I have to take the dive right now. To me, it's a unique opportunity to start my fandom from a blank slate while participating in something exciting for my city.

I wish Rivers and Gates plus some of the young guys like Keenan the best of luck in their careers, and at this point I hope San Diego keeps the Chargers. You guys deserve it. And while I feel like Los Angeles is always gonna be my home now, I could see myself temporarily moving to San Diego for work. It's a great city and I'd love to have a second team to support if I do head down there. So peace out guys, and sorry for rambling lol.

:tup::raiderssuck::broncossuck::abq2::abq2::abq2:

• Like Like x 3
  12. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Sh*tbag deano said he would like to get something done within the next couple of months.......but the again., everything that comes out of his greasy mouth is a f*cken lie.:poop:

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He HAS to get something done in a couple of months.
    He will need to inform the NFL where the Chargers will play by the end of the league meetings in March in order for scheduling to be done.

14. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    I sure f*cken hope so.......His interview afterwards with 1090 he said the NFL is giving him up to a year to make a decision.......so there might be some misunderstandings with a timeline.

15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Well, he basically does have that year.

There is a deadline in March for him to tell the NFL something, but that something could simply be "we're still undecided".

Then at that point he has until Jan 17th, 2017 to work a deal with Kronke.

The 1/17/17 deadline is the real one because at that point the Raiders have the option to move to LA with Kronke.

16. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I believe the March deadline is if he wants to play in LA in 2016. The 1/17/17 deadline is if he will move at all.
    So, we have to wait a year for Deano to make up his mind?? Probably not enough time for Deano to make any
    decision.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
  18. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Spanos is delusional.

LA will not embrace the Chargers and if he leaves SD most Charger fans will jump ship. Most San Diegans will not cheer for anything LA <sports team>. I know I wont. Once they move to the other side of Camp Pendleton, I'm done with them. He will have his 25% revenue from the LA ticket brokers, but now the brokers can't sell that nice weekend away in Americas Finest City. They can go to LA and fight traffic and breath copious amounts of smog.

So move to LA and be the host stadium for every visiting team in the league. The NFL will just make sure they schedule the non-divisional games at home vs teams that have fans that travel so Spanos can fill the stadium up on a few games during the season. You think the Raider games in SD were overrun? No FA will want to come to play for a team with no local fan support, unless it is the only place that will offer them a contract. Silent count in your own house is just wrong.

19. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Hahaha! Saw this on PFT.

“Stan’s proposal was like watching Star Wars,” the source said, adding that the Carson proposal “was like watching a home movie from the ’70s.”

20. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I am both surprised and not surprised by reading this.

Surprised because Bob Iger who is the CEO of Disney was heading the Carson Project. So when it comes to the movies metaphor, I had to go hmmm! since Disney now owns the S.W. Franchise!

Not surprised because the Greece Balls are infamously so cheap that he probably asked the Chargers Official Board guy to quickly whip up a few "flashy" graphics for his Houston presentation ;)

21. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    So there we have it, or not.

This is somewhat how I envisioned it, the Rams are going and now El Deano has an unenviable choice to make, one of his own doing:

1) Given that any deal that the Rams give him will make him a Junior Partner at best, does he come back to the bargaining table with the city and effectively admit a mea culpa for going all scorched earth on us? Or;

2) Does he reaffirm that he does not give a crap about us or working with San Diego -- either through refusing to come back or bargaining in bad faith -- and press on, therefore further underscoring his position as a complete crapweasel?

Either way he's screwed himself.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    If there's a poor decision to be made, rest assured that Dean Spanos will make it. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  23. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    The relocation committee voted 5-1 for the Carson site. The final (secret ballot) vote was 30-2 for the Inglewood site.

That means only one owner besides Spanos voted for his project. Was that Mark Davis, or Jerry Richardson (who was pushing Carson strongly and brought in Bob Iger)? My guess is that Davis voted against his own project. :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I really agree with those who think that Mark "goofball" Davis, punked Deano out of his own socks! SMH, not! :D

25. ZapCannon

ZapCannon Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I can't believe Qualcomm wants to even act like they don't like the bolts

26. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I am personally enjoying watching that rat-basturd Dean Spanos squirm. I would love to see him having to grovel to the city council and mayor at the next council meeting. Whatta-turd.

27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    and how many fans have said FU Spanos and have already jumped ship regardless if they move or not

28. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Just saw a report that Chargers plan on making a deal with Rams to move to LA in 2016. Supposedly both teams have submitted an agreement outline to the NFL.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Do you have a link to this report?

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423