1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It took Manning 9 years to win a SB, Rivers has time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Chargers-Superhero, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I'm trying to find some positivity from this season's disaster. I came up with that despite having all those winning seasons, it took Manning and the Colts 9 years to win a SB in 2006. They had like 5 years in a row with 12 wins, and besides his rookie year, never had less than 10 wins.

Now Philip has 6 years (4 as the starter) so I can't count them out. I think we can have several runs at a SB in the next 5 years. Although it will be tougher next year IMO, because I look for the Pats and Steelers to regroup and be better next year, along with Miami making a push next year.

I know Brady won 3 in his first 5 years.
    I know Ben won 2 in his first 5 years.
    I know Manning Jr. won 1 in his first 5 years.

But I am comparing the Colts because of all the consecutive seasons making the playoffs. There's no reason why this team can't continue to win maybe 55-60 regular season games in 2010-2014 and get a SB, maybe 2.

I believe they can do it, as I said, it took Manning 9 years and 8 consecutive playoff seasons to win his first. Before that he was a "choke" artist to alot of people. Nobody mentions that now. Just sayin' :icon_shrug:

2. CaptainTapp

CaptainTapp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I like this viewpoint. What do the three who got rings early on have in common? Their teams had good defense and a running game to help them out. We had those in '06 but maybe the passing game wasn't quite up there yet. This year and last year the passing game was there, defense stepped up about halfway through season, but no dependable running. The truth is we were too one-dimensional this season but I have faith we will get there. Soon. :yes:

3. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    The Atlanta braves of the NFL should not be who we aspire to emulate......

4. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Colts made the playoffs 10 of the last 11 years and made the SB only once. We will reach it sooner and hopefully more often. Also I can only hope that we can stay that competitive each year.

I mean how many cityies would kill to have their team consistently make the playoffs? Be glad we have one of those teams, that our window is still wide open, and that we've been able to talk playoff football almost every year since 2004.

I have full confidence that Norv, AJ and Rivers will lead us to the a Championship.

5. count_agranoff

count_agranoff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    We have a good schedule next year. I think if we get a strong running back to replace LT it will super strong. Rivers will be even better next year.

6. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    I'm perfectly fine with being 10-6, or 11-5 next year if it means we win the AFC West.

I want a home playoff game, but do NOT really want another "BYE" week again like this year, or 2006. :no:

Keep the momentum going into the playoffs, and NO resting players for 3 quarters in week 17.

That's why the Jets are in the AFC Championship. They have been playing hard every week, thanks to the Colts several weeks back. They have momentum, and if they beat the Colts, I wouldn't be surprised at all.

I want momentum like our 10 game winning streak (Not counting the Washington game)

7. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    While a bye week makes so much sense in getting rest. Momentum seems to be the key for a great playoff run. Back in 2007, we had no "bye" week and significant injuries to RIvers, LT, and Gates. Yet we got through a tough TItans defense, a road win in Indy and almost got by NE in the AFCCG.

• Like Like x 1
  8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I think Rivers should be consulted heavily on who he believes should be back on this team next year.

There are a handful of fuc.ktards that need to be cleansed from the bowels of this locker room. Replace them with real professionals and we might have something special.

Otherwise, it'll just be Philip... and everyone else. With Philip doing the heavy lifting.

9. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Exactly, Manning wins with various players over the years. Brady wins with various players on offense over the years.

Rivers can to IMO. :yes:

10. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Say it with me:

"Jahvid Best"

:yes: