1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

It's a good thing we didn't sign Shaun McDonald

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sd-local, Aug 9, 2007.

1. sd-local

sd-local BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    So I know most of think that AJ is gawd and he can do no wrong and I generally think he is a superb GM in every single aspect except free agent signings.

I am not one to push for the big free agents one bit, but as we've seen, second tier players like Steve Foley or Marlon Mcree can really come in and contribute in a big way.

Point being, especially after Parker's injury we could really use some wide receiver depth, Camarillo is fine and all but I do not feel entirely comfortable with him in the line-up.

By the way, McDonald, the one free agent we took a look at this offseason caught 5 balls for 146 yards, including an 83 td.

Just my two cents, i can;t remember the last time a long td went to a charger reciever for over 80...maybe the snowy TD a few years ago to gates when he broke a tackle and took it the rest of the way.

2. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    With all due respect sir, that was in a pre-season game against a still porous Bengal secondary, and the second stringers at that.

Over all, we can shoulda-woulda-second-guess-everything all we want...the bottom line is that we have who we have and Shaun is with the Lions.

I'm going with that.:bolt:

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The difference with Foley and McCree is they were both expected to start, if AJ expected McDonald to start and signed him then there' a pretty darn good shot he wouldn't have drafted CD.

So really who would you rather have Davis or McDonald.

And even if he didn't think he'd be a starter and still planed on drafting a WR, since when do teams sign free agents WRs to be their #5 (which he would of been before Parker's injury).

4. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    With this kind of rationale you would think that Shaun McDonald is better than Chad Johnson and Marvin Harrison. One pre-season game does not define a players career.

5. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    the key word is Pre-season

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The bigger question is "Why didn't the Pats see the awesomeness of McDonald and sign him to their harem of ball catchers?" :icon_tease:

7. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    :lol:

A guy catches a WIDE open pass, and by wide open i mean no one within 25 yards of him, and all of a sudden its a huge mistake thatg we didnt sign him???

Watch the play, two defenders left him to go double team Calvin johnson running a short out pattern and forgot about McDonald, leaving him wide open. I mean Creg Camarillo or Kassim Osgood could of made that play

• Like Like x 1
  8. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    they have enough mediocor Recievers as it is

9. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Not gonna say it. Not going there.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    Glad I checked I was about to post the same thing.

11. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    And as long as you don't pay attention to John Clayton's numbers about what we have remaining in cap room (which fluctuate greatly AND are often wrong), you don't get frustrated with this approach.

I do like what the Patriots do in filling voids/bench spots with solid, low cost vets. There were some bench locations where I just wondered how much of a risk we were taking (though less now than two years ago). Lot less concerned now with Paul Oliver as our 4th CB/backup nickel back.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    if Davis goes all out against the Seahawks, will this thread still be relevant?

13. BoltsFanUK

Ratings:
    +848
    Don't think so

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

All of the Above.

None of the Above.

Write-In: ________________________________

15. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    AJ signed azirallakim whatever last year. Did he even play a down? It's not beyond all comprehension that he would sign somebody at the bottom end of the depth chart, you know, "just in case.: