1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It's a two horse race now. Cassel out for the year.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 65TossPowerTrap, Nov 14, 2011.

1. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Any chance we had at picking up a couple of wins in our brutal 5 game stretch is now gone, as the Tyler Palko era begins in Kansas City.

Chargers can still win this.

Please do.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    LOL. Thanks.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Who is Palko and what does anyone know about him?

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    He is animal, vegitable, or mineral...

5. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I heard he was the QB at Pitt, and the guy that lost the job to him was Joe Flacco.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Matt Cassel may be lost for the year
    Posted by Mike Florio on November 14, 2011, 3:42 PM EST

Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel left Arrowhead Stadium with a cast on his right hand. It may have been the last time he plays football there, or anywhere else, this season.

Kent Babb of the Kansas City Star passes along word from coach Todd Haley that Cassel has a “significant” hand injury, and that it “could” end his season.

Regardless of whether Cassel plays again this year, Haley said Monday that the injury will require surgery.

And so the Tyler Palko era will begin. Palko, who entered the NFL in 2007 but has appeared in only two games, played college football at Pitt. His ascension to the starting job prompted another Pitt quarterback to transfer. To Delaware.

It’s worked out well since then for Joe Flacco. Unfortunately, the Ravens and Chiefs don’t play this year.

7. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    He is...Not good.

But, when you've lost the best running back in the league for the year, your starting tight end for the year, your best all around player and starting safety for the year, and now your starting quarterback for the year, it doesn't really matter.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Well, to rivals of the Chiefs, Palko appears ideal! Aside from his geographical pedigree
    (Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, etc.) Palko would appear
    to have little to recommend him: Decent in college, but showing only modest
    promise at the pro level. Undrafted. Zero NFL starts. Took off an entire season.
    Cut by the UFL's mighty (2-4) California Redwoods franchise. in short, Palko
    is NOT what a condending team's back-up QB is supposed to look like.
    Volek is freakin' John Elway by comparison.

9. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I'm sure our D can make him look like Elway. :tdown:

10. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    At least you are making an honest assessment out of your team.

11. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Nice to know you boys will be pulling for the Patriots next Monday night. It's all good. :D

12. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Your team isn't alone. The Texans reportedly have lost their QB Matt Schaub for the season with a foot injury.

13. LakeShow

LakeShow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    This means we only really have to worry about oakland, denver could surprise up but i doubt they can go very far with tebow.

14. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Denver has lost Moreno for the year, and McGahee is banged up. I hate to rely on injuries, but the future is looking a little bit brighter...

15. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    wow... crazy!

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    KC was not going to contend this year anyway. Their win against us was legit...because we suck...but long run they'd have finished 6-10 anyway.

17. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    With Charles, Moeaki, and Berry we'd have had more than enough for this division. But ifs and buts don't get you far.

18. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Welcome to the world of NFL injury lottery........ the Chargers are two time winners! ;)

19. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    They could win the AFCW with Tebow. Hell they just smacked Oakland around in Oakland. Does anyone doubt the ability of the Broncos to run on the Chargers? And pressure our QB?

But sure, after that they won't go far. Then again, no team from the AFCW will get very far. It'd be like the Seahawks beating the Saints ;)

20. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Or the Seawoks going into the playoffs with a losing record like last year...

21. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    You guys didn't see the Chiefs/Broncos game. It was insane. The Broncos should have been wearing leather helmets. They completed 2 passes...one for a 56 yard TD.

They ran the wishbone triple option on us. They ran the read option. They got about 6-8 yards on almost every run and they did it with both of their running backs out of the game. They used wide receivers as tailbacks. It was embarrassing. For the life of me, I can't figure out how Romeo Crennell, whose defense has stuffed some of the best running backs in the league, gets his unit manhandled like that...at Arrowhead. I mean how do you shut down Adrian Peterson and Darren McFadden, but let Tim Tebow and a handful of no-names shove it down your throat?

I can't imagine Denver can continue this success, but man, it can catch a team off guard.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I saw it all. Wife is a Chiefs' fan.

She thinks you may be better with Cassell gone. :giggle:

23. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    That's a popular opinion only because the backup QB is always the most popular guy in town...until he inevitably proves why he is a backup. Last year people liked Brodie Croyle and then saw what he was against the Chargers in one of the worst games in franchise history.

In four years in the NFL, Tyler Palko has thrown 13 passes. He is going up against the Patriots at Foxboro, The Jets, the Steelers and the Bears.

I don't think "better" is going to be in the vocabulary.

24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Gotta say every KC fan I know is almost jumping for joy at the idea that Cassel WONT be QBing. Not so much the hype of the next in line guy... Croyel did have more upside. KC is getttin to be like OAK years ago only one KEY element missing... a REAL QB.

Your deffinatly one of the few who feels like its all over for KC this year. Have you not noticed how flakey our division has played for years??

25. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    Only the ignorant football fan would actually think that (unfortunately there are many).

Let me break this down a little. Matt Cassel is a tough, gutsy, smart competitor. That is why he is where he is. However, he is disliked because he has noticeable physical limitations. He is never going to be an Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or even a Phillip Rivers - ever. IF a team is built with other strengths like a strong defense and great running game, that type of quarterback can be successful for a long time. The Chiefs have made strides to do that, but obviously, when you take a step back due to poor play, injuries or both, that leaves your quarterback out on an island that he was never designed to inhabit.

Whatever you want to say about him, even with his limitations, Matt Cassel can at least make all the throws an NFL quarterback needs to make, and generally makes the right decisions, and takes pretty good care of the ball. Those qualities alone make him an average to above average starting quarterback in the league.

Brodie Croyle had a cannon for an arm, but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, and more importantly, was apparently made out of glass.

Tyler Palko, is a younger, less experienced, less physically gifted Matt Cassel. He cannot even attempt some of the throws that Matt Cassel can. He has many of the same qualities of Cassel in that he is tough, gutsy, energetic, and smart. He will likely make a great quarterback coach or more some day. He will never be even an average starting quarterback in this league.

Those who say otherwise are clinging to the foolish notion that ANYone has to be better than who we have when we're losing - a lack of reason and common sense that is exactly why fans should never be GMs.

• Like Like x 1