1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It's been a snap for fill-in Mruczkowski

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009

SAN DIEGO — Coach Norv Turner said the Chargers will “begin the process again” this week of trying to get Nick Hardwick to return to his starting spot at center.
    Now would be a good time to note that in Hardwick's absence, due to torn ankle ligaments suffered in the season opener, fill-in Scott Mruczkowski has snapped the ball 495 times without a mishap.
    “I played center for two years in college,” Mruczkowski said. “That's what I got drafted as. I have no problem. ... It's second nature to me as far as snapping goes.”
    Mruczkowski came on in place of Hardwick in the third quarter against the Oakland Raiders and has started every game since.
    Hardwick's absence has been felt in the form of his recognition, knowledge and athleticism.
    But Mruczkowski has played hard, improved every week and been roundly praised as he has cemented himself as a viable center after spending his first four NFL seasons as a guard.
    “It's just natural,” Mruczkowski said. “You get a rhythm down, get comfortable with each other and, knock on wood, we haven't had a problem yet ...
    “What helped is in training camp I came early and had those three days with the young guys. Me and Phil (Rivers) worked together. I think that definitely helped — me being in early, as much as I didn't want to come in early. I think it's paid off for us.”

Clary, Dobbins update
    Right tackle Jeromey Clary, who left Sunday's game in the third quarter with a sprained ankle, “looked pretty good” yesterday, according to Turner. Clary should practice late in the week and play Sunday at Denver.
    Also, inside linebacker Tim Dobbins, who has missed the past two games with a sprained knee, is expected to play at Denver. Defensive end Travis Johnson, who hurt his shoulder Sunday, also is expected to play.
    Turner said “it will be hard” for outside linebacker Jyles Tucker to play against the Broncos. Tucker hurt his ankle against the Giants on Nov. 8.

Getting there
    While they had to pass in order to run out the clock in Sunday's fourth quarter, the Chargers are making progress with the run.
    For the third time in four games (and just the third time all season), the Chargers ran more than they passed against the Eagles. And their 4.3-yard average on 28 carries was their best of the season.
    “I think we're getting to a level where against another opponent in a game where they don't keep the ball that long, when we're getting them off the field, a game like that can turn into a 160-, 180-yard rushing game,” Turner said.
    LaDainian Tomlinson, who ran for two touchdowns and a season-high 96 yards on a season-high 24 carries, was most noticeably more patient waiting for holes to develop Sunday.
    “He looked explosive, he hit a crease, he was patient,” Turner said. “He did the things he does. I think he's getting into a good rhythm, and we're getting into a better rhythm blocking for him.”

Not Norval Eugene
    Turner said he found out before Sunday's game that Tomlinson's wife,

LaTorsha, was expecting and told Tomlinson he had some ideas for names.
    “Not mine,” Turner said. “I'm still mad at my mom about that.”

2. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I got to give the big polack credit. He has done a great job filling in. No false starts or holds to speak of. Proven his flexibility and value.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Mruc has held his own for the most part. I'm a bit reluctant to mess with the line right now. I want Nick back, but they're gelling pretty well at the moment. He needs to be really healthy, IMO, before he starts again.

Hard to believe I'm saying this, but I'm glad to hear that clary looks to be ready for Sunday.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I work with Clary's cousin. He said that Clary was down in the mouth about the ankle (his first ankle injury) but that the MRI came back negative. So he may be able to go.

He is a gamer and as the young linemen improve the whole line improves and gels...

5. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I agree that Nick really needs to be ready...no risk is acceptable. I also think our line is getting better, but it is not good enough. Nick did not do much against the Raturds in the first game...I hope we see the performance we expect from Nick. If so, our O-line will improve and have the leadership it needs!

Rivers and LT will rule the day!

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Mooch has done a pretty good job.

7. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    AJ signing him to a 3 year contract seemed strange to some, but AJ saw the potential for him to do better than many backups if thrust into a role like he has currently. I like that he played 2 years of Center in college and that is how we drafted him. I also like that he was disappointed not to get a shot at starting at RG, shows he is motivated. I sure hope Tyronn Green has taken notes on what kind of opportunities can arise if he continues to work hard.

Eye Chart has been a quiet, steady influence on this Oline. Another gemstone in the rough 7th rounder for AJ!!!!

8. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    I'm happy with my boy Scottie Mruczkowski. O-Line
    can count on him. Would like to know if he can speak a little Polish ? with Dombrowski for instance.:lol:

I like my neighbor country Poland. Have been there several times in our sistercity Szamotuly (near Posnan) and twice
    in great historic city Kracow.:tup: