1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It's gonna be New England and it won't be easy...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Hate to take any of the drama out of how it's going to play out in the WC round....but like I'm sure a lot of us are now thinking... A. I don't see NE losing next week to lose control of the #3 seed...and B. I don't see any of the contenders for the #6 seed (NYJ, banged up Pitt or Bal, or Denver) going into Foxboro for a playoff game in January and winning.

Bottom line, I would be shocked if we don't end up with our rematch of the 2006 divisional round. The Pats are starting to play really well at the time of year they are most dangerous...so we need to be ready for a battle....and our crowd noise needs to achieve a new level of raucous.

This will be an interesting matchup and I think we have learned a lot by playing these guys twice in big playoff games....The Pats offense is basically the same and is a tough matchup....but both defenses are a lot different.....and our QB and WR corps are at a level that is at least equal to theirs now....I also think that unlike the 2006 game...we have a better coaching staff to match X's and O's with Belichick in a big playoff game.

I welcome the challenge. I want revenge for our previous losses....and I think playing a strong team in our first game will have us more ready for the next challenge if we pull it out.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    It won't be easy no matter who it is.

But I say bring on whomever and Rivers will rip em to shreds. :icon_evil:

3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I think Denver, or Pitt could have a decent shot, mostly Pitt. I would love to see the Jets make it, and beat the Pats, but I know that won't happen unless Brady gets knocked out by the Jets defense. :icon_rofl:

4. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    It happened earlier this year.

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    It wouldn't be the first time the Jets beat New England this year. :yes:

6. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Whoever it is I just hope our prevent def is primed and ready to go. :lol:

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Of course...at the time they beat them, it would be a little like saying Pittsburgh is sure to steamroll us because they did so early in the season when our defense was in complete disarray and our entire team wasn't executing nearly as well as they are now.

The Pats will pound the Jets if that's the matchup...and that would be the easiest for them....They don't want to see the Steelers, but I think they will get by them also at home.

8. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Texans still have a shot

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I just hope Merriman keeps his mouth shut this time if the Jets play New England in round 1.

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    They need 2 of 3 out of Oakland, KC, and Cincy to win only so they can get in by beating New England :lol:

11. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Pitt has the best shot beating the Pats in New England IMO. If it was at Pitt, I'd take the Steelers. Denver has a shot, but won't be able to finish it unless Brady gets knocked out.

Jets really have no chance, because the Jets beat them early in the year when the Pats looked average. Pats would beat them by 2 scores easy now.

The same way I feel about us beating the Ravens if we play them again.

12. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    We're coming for you.......should be fun.:yes:

13. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    That's one of the lessons I think we've learned....although some of the twittering idiots on our team (ahem...Cro, Shaun and Shawne)...make me a little nervous.....They're all on defense, so I hope Ron takes the time to have a little Twitter chat with the boys.

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I don't care that they use Twitter.

I just hope they don't run their mouth in similar fashion on twitter.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Bring NE the Donks or Cinny

Makes no nevermind to me

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm not really sold on NE's sudden resurgence. The Jags played like absolute **** today. This is the same NE team that struggled to beat the Bills last week, the same NE team that is 4-3 in their last 7 games, the same NE team that has beat one team with a winning record all year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Whoever, Whenever, Bring it on and may the best team win :yes:

18. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    True, but never underestimate a experienced playoff QB, and Coach, even though they are first class d-bags :icon_rofl:

19. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Not underestimating them, just steeling myself against the barrage of Patriot teabagging that follows every Patriot victory. :lol:

20. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Obviously that was implied in my comment. I wouldn't give a chit if I was sure they were just going to twitter about their usual BS like what bar they are going to be at or that they are heading out to practice or a workout....Just shut the F up about the Pats or whatever team we play...that's all I ask too.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

OK... so if it comes down to the two minute warning, we have a 3 point lead, and we're giving up 10-15 yards a play... you'll just be kicking back saying "it's OK, we'll get a fumble to force the back 25+ yards, Rivers will get us to the opponents 40, and Nate will kick a 50+ yarder with 5 seconds left.

Got it!!! This is all just a movie and a sequel is in the making.
    Oh and I hate to spoil the movie but in the sequel, Rivers finds out that Archie Manning is his father. :lol:

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    If they play prevent in that scenario they have problems.

I agree with you about slamming the proverbial door shut, but the scenario you just painted doesn't quite match the scenarios when they have been getting soft and allowing teams to get back in what was looking to be a blowout.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Sure it is. 21-10 and Titans get the ball first in the second half... perfect opportunity for the Titans to get back in the game but fortunately, that didn't happen.

Not to mention, we gave the Bengals the perfect opportunity to win the game last week.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Right.

In those situations it was at a time when it looked as though we were going to walk away with the game but let them get back in it, just like I said.

That's not the same as having a 3 point lead at the end of the game and they have a shot to take the lead and the win.

25. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    You should note that on the last Bengals drive, we were actively blitzing and were NOT playing a prevent defense....We couldn't get pressure on Carson even with extra players and he was throwing to wide open targets downfield as a result....Reading some of your posts, I think you're confused on what we're doing on defense sometimes....I would agree on the Philly game where we had a decent lead and playing soft on D nearly backfired....but most of the time we are mixing it up pretty good including the Titans game where we weren't really in a prevent mode until we were up by a ton late in the 3rd Qtr which is exactly what we needed to be doing at that time...Our fundamental problem is that we just can't get consistently good pressure on the QB even when we are bringing numbers....Rivera knows this...so he is being very calculating about when to bring extra LB or blitz a safety because we are getting burned a LOT when we do.

26. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Well said :icon_toast:

27. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The playoffs are a completely new and different season....Chargers fans especially should know that by now. Anything can happen and probably will. Hope your team plays better in this year's playoffs than it has in the past. Make errors and you lose...lest you forget 2006.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Marty's not here to completely change our schemes and gameplans come playoff time this time around. :yes:

29. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Marty wasn't the one who was on the field executing poorly. That said....if the Chargers can keep their wits about them, they will win the SB. It's a fine well balanced football team. Hope they don't start wagging their tongues.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    It was Marty's team. He didn't have them prepared.

He's 5-13 in the playoffs.

Great regular season coach, sucks in the playoffs.

I used to be the staunchest supporter of Marty but he lost me after that 2006 playoff game.