1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It's in Rivers we trust

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

by Adam Schein
    November 17, 2009

Lock in the Colts, Patriots, Bengals and Steelers for the playoffs in the AFC. Cincy won't collapse. Did you see the schedule the next three weeks, with games against the Raiders, Browns and Lions?

But what other teams will join the party?

You know I like 5-4 Houston to make the playoffs, but its road gets tough with three straight division games against Tennessee, Indy and Jacksonville.

I'm not feeling Jacksonville. So the Jaguars beat the Jets and Jacksonville is now 5-4. Congrats. But there's no way the Jags have enough to make a run. That game was more anti-Jets than anything else.

And the Jets, who talked a huge game all season, fall to 4-5 after losing a third straight game to an inferior team at home (Miami and Buffalo before Jacksonville). It's a good thing I asked the league after Week 3 for potential scheduling options for championship Sunday if the Jets and Giants both hosted games. That's a healthy mix of journalism and stupidity.

I love the Ravens' talent, but their kicker and secondary have held them back. Denver has come crashing back down to earth, losing three straight. An injured Kyle Orton in the second half in Washington equaled a rough loss for the Broncos.

And the Chargers all but begged the Eagles to come from behind and steal one in San Diego.

So whom do I trust? One man, and one man alone.

His name is Philip Rivers.

And Philip Rivers is flat-out amazing.

While the football world discusses a controversial 4th-and-2, a classic quarterback duel, a huge Cincy win and a Dallas loss in Green Bay (and we'll cover that later, too), I find myself obsessed with the Philip Rivers story.

Did you watch him last weekend? Did you see Rivers' virtuoso, flawless performance in a gigantic, critical win for the Chargers?

Rivers completed 20 of 25 passes, threw for 231 yards, two touchdowns, no picks, saved the season, the head coach's job, took the heat off the cantankerous general manager and the loud-mouthed linebackers, managed to infuriate the opposition and may or may not have saved women and children from a burning building.

I wouldn't put it past him.

In theory, you wouldn't bank on San Diego. The offensive line is spotty. Norv Turner is not a trustworthy head coach. He isn't a motivator or strong in-game strategist. The defense down the stretch against Philly was weak. San Diego has talent on defense, but the play is maddening and inconsistent. LaDainian Tomlinson deserves credit for a brilliant game on Sunday, inspired by finding out his wife was pregnant with their first child. It was a special day for LT and family. But the future Hall of Famer is clearly not the same player.

Rivers is carrying this team and sneaking into the MVP mix.

Against the Eagles, Rivers had a whopping 131.8 quarterback rating. The week before, he mesmerized the Giants defense with a game-winning drive. Rivers has 16 touchdowns against six picks. He's a classic gunslinger who oozes confidence. Rivers is good, and he will let everyone, from the opposing players to the opposing fans, know about it.

It's San Diego and Denver in Colorado this weekend. I love the Chargers in this game. Orton is banged up. The Broncos lost their swagger. And Rivers loves playing against the Broncos and wants revenge from earlier this year.

Rivers' swashbuckler attitude, in addition to his uncanny, pinpoint accuracy, makes him great. It also unfairly knocks him down a peg or two in the court of public opinion.

If you are a Chargers fan, you love him. If you root for the other 31 teams, you can't stand him. Either way, Rivers is saving the season for Turner, GM A.J. Smith and the Chargers.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Couldn't agree more.:tup:

And OT: CONGRATS to LT and Mrs. LT on their expectant state!!!:yes::abq2::tup:

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    B4L must hate Rivers.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    lol:lol:

Wow...what a nice change...the tide has turned! Maybe we will get the love that Cutless and others were getting just a few games ago. Media is starting to jump on the Rivers bandwagon...they are in for a GREAT RIDE!:abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Just the way we want it:abq2:

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Ha! Perfect!

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Bad.***.country.boy

Bet he eats squirrel. :yes: :lol:

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Yeah it wasn't so long ago that Rivers was painted as the cocky douchebag antagonist that waved poor Jay Cutler off the field after a failed 4th down attempt.:tup:

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Surprisingly it was Jamie Dukes that defended Rivers and pointed out that Cuddles body language indicated he was jawing back.

But yeah, the media jumped all over him. Now they are getting ready to slobber all over him...

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

Rivers wins a Super Bowl this year, and the media turns him into "Son of Brett Favre" ! :icon_eek:

12. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Rivers is :wub: but this article is too much haha :lol:

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Embrace the hate

I like it!!!

14. GM_085120

GM_085120 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    As long as the Chargers have Rivers they will be contenders - Super Bowl Contenders. And I take great solace in knowing this.

As far as the perception of the media and football fans around the country I can only guess that they point to that one video of he and Cooper waving 'bye-bye' to Cutler a few years ago as evidence of his 'loud-mouthed' and 'arrogant' nature. I don't think anyone in the history of the NFL has had his character so erroneously judged on the basis of one 3-second video clip. Yes, he talks. Yes, he's fiery. Yes, he loves to get in your face. Guess what... so are most men in the league who aren't named Tom Brady. And speaking of 'fiery' QB's, what of the boy-child and perpetual retiree Brett Favre? The country fawns and drools over his antics like a sappy mother over her 3 week old baby. But when Rivers runs around the field in celebration, we get, 'It took everything in Philip Rivers' power not to run over and scream at the Giant's bench.' Hopefully, when people start to see more of him on primetime they will begin to understand what type of player and person he really is.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    With out Rivers, I think we'd be 1-8 right now.
    Possibly 2-7 since our running game finally came through last Sunday.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    PR is the rock which everyone unworthy of a championship will break himself upon. :yes:

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Yeah, and I hear he is hell on beavers too!

Pointy :icon_twisted: ( Number 5 coming right up...)

Do you remember just a few years ago, the way you could tell if a player was being traded or dropped from a team was if you saw his jersey on the 60% off sale rack at your local sporting goods store before they were cut? It was the second year that Rivers was on the squad, I bought an away Rivers jersey,(a bargain at 25 bucks) and some fools were saying that I was dumb to buy a jersey for a back-up QB, because he would never pan out. I wish I could meet those idiots again, and ask them what crow tastes like...

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If you build M4, I'll be there. :yes: :tup:

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Live

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He can climb. :yes:

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Without you in this forum, I would have to think up my own doomsday hypotheticals.

Or was that wishful thinking? If Rivers gets injured, then the Chargers would have a worse record and Norv might get fired. So that's what you really want isn't it? You want Rivers to blow out his knee and you want Norv Turner to **** and murder several small children. That's what you want. Just admit it.

22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

23. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Some of you people crack me up. We had a tough choice to make when it was Rivers or breeze. People thought I was crazy when I backed PR. We have won the division 3 straight years now and are in it every year. I remember when we had receivers that couldn't catch the ball. We have a super star QB now and he will be a Charger for a long time. Yet, all you people want to talk about is Norv Turner and AJ. Seriously! Look at how many crappy teams are in the league. We have not been one of them for a while. Newsflash people. The playoffs are One or done. It's not easy to win a super bowl. A lot needs to go right and a lot of luck needs to go your way to win one. If we have ever had a better chance in the now and the years to come it's with this SMART Quarterback. He is awesome. So sit back and enjoy his greatness because he is your QB and so many fans of other teams would kill to have him.:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Why do we lock these long Norv threads? (re: the longer one that was recently locked)

The only thing it does is force B4L to find another thread to carry on the same discussion in.

I liked the older policy of merging them all into one and moving the more edgey posts into the flame war thread.

25. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Okay - head's up.

B4L said he's not going to talk about Norv for the rest of the season. So please for the love of all things holy DO NOT instigate - I'm begging you.

Lets just keep the River's love flowing in here deal? :yes: :D

26. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I'm the type of guy that likes to pull the wings off of flys...it will be hard not to instigate!:icon_twisted:

27. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    What do you call a fly without wings?

A walk!!!

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Threads are locked or merged solely at the discretion of the moderators. Thanks.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I sure hope Philip doesn't contribute to any turnovers this week. I winch every time he get's hit thinking the ball is going to come out.

I love his style of play but I don't like the way he loses the ball when being sacked.

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Exactly how often does he do that. I believe he has been taking darn good care of the ball...