1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It's Liar's Month

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It's Liar's Month in the NFL

April is Liar’s Month in the NFL, but I’m not paid by The League, so I can be straight.

If the Chargers use their 18th overall pick in next week’s draft on a guard — or any athlete of the offensive persuasion — then their entire football staff should be taken by ambulance to the Betty Ford Clinic on Dean Spanos’ dime.

I do not believe it will happen. If it happens I won’t believe it.

I’ve read some of the 15 million mock drafts, 15 million put together on pure guesswork after the first couple of picks. Quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III will go 1-2 overall to Indianapolis and Washington, followed by a mad scrum. Even Colts owner Jim Irsay has left some doubt as to whether he’ll take Luck No. 1. He’s playing with those willing to be played.

I’ve read reports from our young whippersnapper Chargers beat man Michael Gehlken, who had a nice piece Monday on how the Chargers might be interested in Stanford guard David DeCastro if he’s still around at 18 (which he most likely will be, in that he’s a guard).

Well, being a person of interest in April doesn’t mean squat. People talk about grabbing the best player available vs. need. That could be the case with the Chargers, who once could gamble on draft day — when they had more players. But I can’t help but doubt the best player available is going to be a guard.

Not that guards aren’t important. But the Chargers already have two starting guards in Louis Vasquez and Tyronne Green and if they want a backup they don’t have to rip out their throats to get one in the first round. DeCastro is a nice player. He could be in the NFL for 15 years. The Chargers don’t need him.

For the first time in 60 years, one team, the Saints, had two guards — Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans — make AP All-Pro first team. Nicks was a fifth-round pick in 2008 and Evans a fourth-rounder in 2006. Kris Dielman, the Chargers’ Pro Bowl guard forced to retire with concussion issues, wasn’t drafted and wasn’t even an offensive lineman when he got to San Diego.

Translation: You can find guards. Maybe not John Hannah, but DeCastro isn’t John Hannah.

Yet you’ll see many mocks out there that have the Chargers taking DeCastro. I wonder why. Has a little bird been spreading the rumor? It’s April, time for liar’s poker. These things happen. It’s commonplace for a team to leak information — false or true — about a player in hopes he may slip to them.

The classic was Dan Marino. When he came out of Pitt in 1983, there was talk he had a drug problem (which he didn’t), that he wasn’t football smart (which he was) and that he was injury-prone (which he wasn’t). So one of the great passers in the history of the planet slipped to Miami (27th overall) at the end of the first round. Any skulduggery afoot? Five quarterbacks went in front of Marino.

Bobby Beathard, then Washington’s general manager, had the last (28th) pick in the first round that year, and as smart as he was, he wouldn’t deal with Marino. “I had him rated higher than I’d ever rated a player,” Beathard told me one day during his time as Chargers GM, “higher than John Elway (who went No. 1 overall in 1983). But if Marino had been on the board when we drafted, I still wouldn’t have taken him.”

Remember, the Chargers had three No. 1s in 1983, and took Billy Ray Smith, Gary Anderson and Gill Byrd — all before Marino, who would have been ideal to come in and study under Dan Fouts. Everyone was bamboozled. Did Miami fan the lies? If the Dolphins did, good for them, because they got a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Meanwhile, look up first-round slippage of Randy Moss and Aaron Rodgers.

This year we have more leakage, that LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne scored 4 out of 50 on his Wonderlic test. Now I don’t know exactly what good the leak does, in that all NFL teams have access to scores, but when this sort of thing is made public it possibly can plant a seed of doubt — not only within the franchise, but the fans.

Claiborne is going to be drafted very high. He’s terrific. The leak was stupid and an outrage. The young man has a learning disability.

Another who has slipped badly due to attitude is Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfect. He could be a star. Someone will draft him, maybe a team spreading doubts.

So when I hear the Chargers could be taking a guard, I’m not buying what’s being sold. General Manager A.J. Smith, who needs a strong safety and a pass rusher, has signed 16 free agents this spring, all but four of them offensive players.

The fascinating April thing is that the team isn’t denying it’s interested in DeCastro. Heck, I’m interested in DeCastro. Doesn’t mean I’m drafting him. Defense, defense, defense, defense. The Chargers need impact defensive players.

Smith doesn’t have to tell me, but he often has. And that’s not to believe a word he says in April until the draft is over.

He’s not lying about that. For now, I’ll take him at his word — on April 28, the day the draft ends.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Love this article, will be pissed if we take Cordy Glenn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I am so excited and nervous for draft day main reason being, no matter how I look at it I do not know where we will go, Trade up Trade down stay put.

Also I really like what Lombardi said when talking about Bill Walsh: "Draft grades don't mean anything, If you find a player you think will fit your system and needs, you take him. It doesn't matter if he's graded in the 4th round and you take him in the 3rd." After draft day nobody talks about where they were taken just how they produce. You'll never hear a coach or GM say "ya know I really like this guy, but I think he's playing more like a 174th pick instead of a 139th"

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If DeCastro is there & BPA, Smith would be an idiot NOT to take him.

Canepa is already an idiot.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    In this particular case, I'd have to disagree.

The Chargers have obviously concentrated on filling their offensive holes in free agency. It's now time to fill the defensive holes with the draft...... there really isn't another choice. Quality pass rushers will go quickly, so taking a guard in the 1st makes no sense.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Which is why AJ traded up to get Hester. ;)

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm thinking some of the loudest BS is about Mark Barron. Do not believe he'll be chosen by the Cowboys or by the Jets. Think he'll fall right to us. Also think there's going to be a huge run on WRs

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Completely agree with this! :tup: People get too hung up on where a guy was taken.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Here's to hoping you're right my friend:D

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not sold on Green at LG & Rivers is our most valuable asset. None of the supposed 1st round pass rushers wow me as an OLB.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I still like Perry, I just think that he can likely be had lower now. As far as our guard situation, I wouldn't mind if they took DeCastro, as long as he was far and away the best player on the board.

I'll be genuinely surprised if this draft isn't focused on defense, because that means we won't have a defense this season.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I love how every year we debate on who AJ will pick. Haven't we learned that AJ will pick the opposite of who we all think he will pick? :p I think he may have names in one of those bingo wheel/mixer things.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's gonna trade up for Harrison Smith. :rolleyes: :tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    That we do know...... Harrison Smith is his next Hester, Weddle, Insertwhiteplayerreach name here.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031

Hahaha I can see it now Goodell walks up to the podium, San Diego has traded with Minnesota, Vikings will receive San Diego's 18th this year along with a first round next year, this years 2nd and 3rd and 6th

With the 3rd overall pick the Chargers select Safety, Harrison Smith, Notre Dame

Then we'd have to listen to Jimmy Raye Defend the pick " Well we like what Smith brings to the table and we felt like we had to move up to the 3rd pick to grab him since Dallas, New York and other teams were also looking for a Safety"

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would be pissed if we take any offensive player at #18

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    While I certainly would prefer to go defense at 18 (and 49 ...and 78?), I wouldn't waste the pick on a guy who doesn't fit our scheme as opposed to taking a stud OL or perhaps even a playmaking WR like Floyd. Although the choice of Floyd would take some convincing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If all that is available are guys that don't fit, I would trade back and pick up additional picks.

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So you would pass on guy like DeCastro who could likely solidify an OL position for years to come? Particularly in light of losing Dielman & probably replacing him with a relatively unproven player?

I'm not bagging on Green but the apparent choice of him as a starter makes me nervous for PR's health.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Ya know I was just thinking about this last night, When we signed Mario Henderson who wasn't in the league last year, we must have seen something we really really liked. There are plenty of guys who are available with plenty of experience that would have came at the same price. These scouts and coaches (although it doesn't seem that way at times) know plenty more about these players then all of us put together. I hope we grab some o line depth later but as of now I see our Line pretty complete

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Do any of the 2nd round pass rushers? :D

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Only if the supposed 1st rounders drop there. ;)

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I'm not overly concerned about Green starting. He looked pretty decent that last 5 games playing next to Gaither, and that was before he decided to get in shape. Green won't be Dielman, but I don't think he'll be a liability either.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And I'm not pimping for DeCastro. I just feel that he's the type of player that you could plug in & forget about the position for the next 10 yrs. Not sure that Green is gonna prove to be that caliber.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    That may all be true, but for a coach and GM who need to win now, do you pick a guard, when the lack of a pass rush has been your Achilles heel?

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Like I said - I'm not sold on spending the 18th overall on any of the pass rushers available in this draft. For me, most either are questionable moving to OLB, are far better fits as 4-3 DE's, or have a very limited body of work to rely on.

A good run game & a healthy Rivers can keep an average defense off the field quite a bit. I could see someone like Vinny Curry, Andre Branch, maybe Ronnell Lewis, Chandler Jones,or even Massaquoi in a later round.

Hey- haven't you heard? English is gonna beast this year. ;)

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes I would. I don't think Green will be a stud by any means, but I think he is serviceable, and our defense needs that much help. I would rather get 2 second round defensive players and 2 3rd round player, than 1 st round guard and defensive players in the 2nd and 3rd

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You just changed the game. I never mentioned any trading around, I was talking staying put at 18. Trading down would place a different perspective on the conversation.

If we trade down it puts a different group of players in play, particularly as BPA.

29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Is this after his next foot operation? :D

• Like Like x 1
  30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He's going bionic. :tup: