1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It's not exactly a secret that Cutler can be a first-class a-hole

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Jan 10, 2007
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    Its in ESPN magazine but the article seems to suggest that even though Cutler is a first class ******* it really is a good thing because it pushes all his teammates to be better. Like it mentioned early on how he screamed at teammates at Vandy but yet how that also helped to make teammates better. Also how he yelled alot at Eddie Royal but has quotes how he likes that in a QB because it pushes him to be better (I never knew Royal was into S&M)

This is a first, I've never seen an article where the basic premise is how someone is a first class ******* and yet its somehow a GOOD THING. Does anyone else think being such a douchebag is a good thing? Would your boss appreciate it???

This is the media blowing Cutler and I guess trying to rehab his image since he was seen by all the world as the little beyatch he was
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

ESPN? :icon_rofl:
  4. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Mar 28, 2007
    By David Fleming
    ESPN The Magazine
    Archive | Contact

Ross Dettman
    Jay Cutler's demeanor has been questioned, but his arm strength never has been.

This article appears in the September 7 issue (Peyton Manning/Jeff Saturday cover) of ESPN The Magazine.

During Jay Cutler's first week of practice as the Bears' new quarterback, a rookie wide receiver dared to shag a few of his passes with just one hand. And even though this rookie, third-round pick Juaquin Iglesias, had been lectured a few times by coaches about the importance of proper technique, he was slow to break his annoying little habit. So when it happened again one afternoon, Cutler followed his pass upfield, darted toward Iglesias and screamed into his face mask: "If you ever do that again I will never throw another f--ing pass to you. EVER!"

Now, it's not exactly a secret that Cutler can be a first-class a-hole. This is a guy who didn't let his under-.500 record as Broncos starter stop him from claiming to have a stronger arm than John Elway; who made a public show of dressing down rookie receiver Eddie Royal late last season, yet took little responsibility for the team's 0-3 finish that cost it a playoff spot; who threw a breath-holding grocery-store hissy fit to force his way out of Denver when new coach Josh McDaniels dared to dangle him as trade bait. Still, Iglesias wondered, was Cutler really going ballistic over a couple of lazy catches during OTAs -- in May?

Iglesias checked his shorts. Then the rookie looked at his teammates and back to the equally stunned coaches to see if Cutler was putting him on. He was not, and just to be clear, the quarterback shot Iglesias one more look. It was the raging, flushed visage of utter disdain. When Cutler gets this way, and he gets this way often, he looks a bit like an annoyed viper -- with a frat boy haircut and a slight double chin. Of course, it's also a look that gets results. "All I know is that receiver hasn't used anything less than two hands since," says Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner. "Look, Jay can be an intense person, a fierce competitor and a good guy, too. All the great ones have that mix. I see that in Jay, I really do. He better have it."

He better have it, indeed. What is Chicago feeling on Cutler right now? What's the best case and worst case here?

The team is hopeful, but the truth is no one really knows for sure about Cutler. And so the 26-year-old quarterback now faces a question that will determine whether the Bears will be Super Bowl contenders or go down as having made the biggest blunder of the off-season: What kind of a-hole will Jay Cutler be? If he succeeds in Chicago, on a run-first team devoid of top-level receiving targets, Cutler will be placed in the Peyton Manning camp, where his surly, detached and demanding nature is seen as the most necessary tool of a gutsy field general. If he loses, Cutler will be the next Jeff George, a physically gifted passer sunk by his petulance. "There's more stuff for me to prove to you all and maybe to my teammates and the city," Cutler told reporters during camp. "It's gonna be fun."

Or an unmitigated disaster. His choice.

Cutler and George have more in common than just temperament. Both started out as Indiana high school phenoms: George played at Warren Central in Indianapolis, while Cutler starred at Heritage Hills High near his hometown of Santa Claus. In fact, Cutler had planned on following George to the University of Illinois until a last-second miscommunication regarding his scholarship offer left him with no place to go and only two weeks left in recruiting season. (Cutler says his offer was rescinded. Illinois says it was never extended. Funnily enough, the Illini coach at the time was Turner. Cutler now says he and Turner have put the issue behind them.)

Desperate and humbled, Cutler called Vanderbilt, which still had an open spot. Coaches initially mistook him for a high school tight end from northern Indiana, but after watching Cutler's game tape the Commodores immediately offered him a scholarship. Still, the die had been cast. At the doorstep of both his manhood and the gateway to elite football, the sport shot him one of those bored, teenage-girl eye rolls he's now famous for. Those who know Cutler well say this is where his drive and unapologetic a-holeness was born; from this moment forward he would always be way too good for football and not the other way around. "Jay transformed himself through his attitude," says Vandy strength coach John Sisk. "To make it here he had to be a lot tougher, stronger and smarter than other QBs."

Of course, those are the traits of a great passer. But an elite quarterback has to elevate those around him, especially when things go wrong. This has proved more challenging for Cutler to master. Vandy won six games his first three years, and his teammates' failures brought out his worst. In 2005, during a 34-6 trouncing by LSU, the Commodores players withdrew in slack-jawed disgust as he dog-cussed tackle Ryan King, chin to chin, from the line of scrimmage all the way to the bench after a blown assignment led to a sack. "Jay got in his grill like I have never seen someone do before," says Bears wideout Earl Bennett, a former Vandy teammate.

Still, Cutler won over many of those same teammates by opening his campus apartment during the off-season so they could stick around and practice without having to pay rent. And by the end of his senior season, despite facing nonstop pressure in the pocket, Cutler had single-handedly pushed Vandy to a near upset of Florida and to a win over Tennessee for the first time in 23 years. Says Vandy co-passing game coordinator Jimmy Kiser: "The one thing people don't understand about Jay is what a tough son of a gun he is." Fearless, too. The winning touchdown in that 28-24 Vols shocker was a one-step slant against bracket coverage (corner on the outside, safety on the inside, linebacker underneath) that Cutler zipped to Bennett through a thicket of bodies, arms and outstretched hands, the passing lane just a hair wider than the ball. It was the kind of pass that only a handful of quarterbacks in the NFL have the arm -- and guts -- to make. It was the kind of pass that makes coaches like Mike Shanahan decide Cutler's worthy of being drafted 11th overall.

In many ways Cutler's gunslinger act has served him well in his three NFL seasons. His coming-out performance came in Denver's 39-38 win over the Chargers in Week 2 last season. With effortless power and precision, Cutler completed 36 of 50 passes for 350 yards and four touchdowns, including a last-second two-point conversion to Royal. He was an arctic blast of chill in the huddle, coolly cracking on guys to keep the Broncos loose. And to top it off Cutler executed the same play, a shallow slant, on the final two scores.

When Cutler is pissed, he looks like a viper -- with a frat boy haircut and a slight double chin.

The next day in the film room, Cutler hissed at his wideouts for sloppy routes (a Brandon Marshall speciality) or bobbled balls. But he also stopped the film to offer a quick "my bad" after wobbly or late passes. As at Vandy, his teammates learned to live with, and even appreciate, this split personality, especially when the Broncos appeared destined for the playoffs following an 85 start. "He's so blunt and brutally honest all the time," says Royal, "that he can rub people the wrong way until you get to know him."

The thing is, while great quarterbacks don't have to be nice guys (few are), they know when to build their teammates up rather than tear them apart. This means subjugating their egos and, occasionally, encouraging those slow-footed linemen and butterfingered wideouts whom they'd much rather hit with a silly string of expletives. Late in the fourth quarter of this year's Super Bowl, Steelers wideout Santonio Holmes failed to bring down a pass in the end zone. But as high as the stakes were, Ben Roethlisberger didn't blow a gasket. He kept it moving in the huddle, as if the play hadn't happened. On the next snap, Holmes made his epic, sideline-defying catch. A year earlier, in Super Bowl XLII, Giants wideout Plaxico Burress had a drive-killing, third-down drop and twice failed to shake coverage on potential TD throws. Yet instead of ostracizing him, a poised and determined Eli Manning found him for the last-second game-winner.

In contrast to Roethlisberger and Manning, Cutler tends to melt down when his teammates fail him. In a Week 4 game at Kansas City last season, he was red-faced and apoplectic after a route-running mistake by wideout Cliff Russell resulted in an incompletion. On the Broncos' next two possessions, Cutler threw two picks within 60 seconds, leading to a 33-19 loss to the AFC's worst team.

Three months later, in the must-win season finale at San Diego, the world watched in super-slo-mo and high-def resolution as Cutler reamed out Royal on the sideline for failing to haul in two high passes. To his credit, after the cameras turned back to the field, the quarterback found his receiver on the bench, put his arm around him and told him, "Don't get down, we need you, we gotta win this game, and I need you to make plays." But it was telling that instead of showing Royal the way with his own assured play, Cutler went haywire. On the brink of cutting the San Diego lead down to two scores at the end of the first half, he forced a throw that was picked off in the middle of the end zone. In the third quarter, backed up on his own 18, he was intercepted again. On the next play, LaDainian Tomlinson put the game out of reach, 38-13, with a 14-yard scamper to the end zone. Amazingly, after the 52-21 loss, Cutler placed the blame squarely on the Broncos' 29th-ranked defense, reminding reporters that the Chargers had to punt only once. "He's a punk," said Chargers linebacker Matt Wilhelm. "Jay Cutler is one of the biggest crybabies in the league."

Less than 48 hours later the ultimate responsibility for the collapse fell on Shanahan, who was fired after 14 years and two Super Bowls, lifting the curtain on the Cutler soap opera. The quarterback was miffed that new Denver coach Josh McDaniels decided not to retain his confidant, Broncos offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates. Cutler and McDaniels then met and worked together on the coach's new scheme for two weeks in February at the team complex. The day after they finished, however, Cutler learned that the Broncos were shopping him around the league (something that even Elway had to endure). Suddenly, Cutler was a teenager again with no scholarship offers. There would be much posturing and pouting on both sides for the next two months -- the local media tabbed the saga Jays of Our Lives -- but after Cutler decided the Broncos lied to him about the trade, he was done with the team. "I think Denver would do a few things different as well as myself," Cutler said during camp. "But in the end it worked out for everybody."

Given his track record, it's a little too early for such bold declarations. The Bears gave up the equivalent of an entire draft to get Cutler: starting quarterback Kyle Orton, two No. 1 picks, along with a No. 3. And in two years they'll have to shell out at least $100 million to lock up Cutler long-term. That's a high price to pay for a QB on a classic, outdoor, run-first team. Powered by Matt Forte, who set the team's rookie rushing record with 1,238 yards, the 2008 Bears finished 9-7 while throwing 528 passes. Cutler himself heaved it 616 times last season. "We won't be a passing team," says coach Lovie Smith. "The Bears are about running the ball and playing great defense."

Ross Dettman
    In the season-ending loss to the Chargers, Cutler chastised Eddie Royal -- then found him to explain his importance to the remainder of the game.

To soften the constant eight-man fronts that held Forte to just 3.9 yards per carry last season, the Bears will have to throw it more often than in 2008. But to whom? In Denver, Cutler had Marshall, a Pro Bowler, and Royal, who had 91 catches as a rookie. In Chicago, Cutler's main targets will be Forte, moonlighting return man Devin Hester, emerging tight end Greg Olsen and Bennett, a guy whose next NFL catch will be his first. In fact, this might just be the NFC North's least-accomplished receiving crew, and it's already clear Cutler won't be taking the high road about their predictable struggles. In Chicago's first preseason game against Buffalo, Cutler chucked the ball off his back foot 40 yards downfield to Hester, where it was easily picked. Splurging on the diplomatic immunity the Bears have apparently granted him, Cutler implied in the postgame press conference that Hester didn't do enough to stop the pick. Jeff George would be proud.

Still, no one in Chicago will hold these little indiscretions against Cutler if he can rally the troops to Miami in the end. After all, the team's last Pro Bowl passer, Jim McMahon, is forever beloved by Bears fans for winning Super Bowl XX, never mind that he openly feuded with defensive lineman Dan Hampton and half of Halas Hall along the way. And for now, at least, Cutler's teammates are responding to his style, even those on the receiving end of his wrath. "I don't want my quarterback to be nice," Iglesias said at the end of the first week of camp. "I want him to push me, hard, and to never think I'm doing a good enough job."

The next day, more than 27,000 fans showed up on a suffocatingly hot Saturday in early August for the Bears Family Day at Soldier Field. As cooling fans behind the Bears' bench pushed the smell of kielbasa around the field, the overeager crowd clapped for any sign of hope: snappy defensive line drills, high punts and even well-synchronized*huddle breaks.

About an hour into practice, Iglesias took off from the 40-yard line on a deep post route. The crowd held its breath when, at the goal line, he and a defensive back went airborne to meet the falling football. Bodies tangled. Feet flew over face masks. Finally, the two players landed in a heap under the goalpost.

After a long off-season, Soldier Field roared back to life as Iglesias rolled to his feet and pushed the ball triumphantly toward the sky. Touchdown. The gesture was both a testament to and a defense of his a-hole quarterback. Because on closer inspection, you could see that Iglesias was using two hands to hold up the ball.
  5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2006
    if being an Ahole made youa good QB Leaf would still be on the team:lol::icon_shrug:
  6. Boltz

Boltz BoltTalker

Aug 13, 2009
    everyone knows ****ler is a douche...lol sorry i had to
  7. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Nov 21, 2006
    Ron Turner said "... He better be."

Meaning he thinks that what some good QB's have, and Jay Cutler has it, or he better. I guess he is that much of an ******* that if he isn't great their going to hang him.

Look I looked into Vandy. On another MB I went into details about how his teammates HATED him. Supposdly he was the best thing ever. Too bad his team did better with OTHER QB's when he left. A sign of a great QB who made his team is a team that doesn't do as well. When a team does better with just about any other QB they throw in signs point to the team.

According to the writers logic I guess he wants his boss to yell at him and act like an ***. Maybe he should recommend it, so that he will write better material instead of anything that will support Cutler.

First it was "Cutler isn't an ***"

Now it is "Cuter is an ***, but EVERYONE should be like that because people play better for asses".
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Jul 27, 2007
    FOCK ****ler!!!
  9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Sep 4, 2006
    Philip Rivers = Batman

Jay Cutler = The Joker
  10. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

May 22, 2006
    Philip Rivers = Godzilla

Jay Cutler = Bambi
  11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    Somehow, I don't think the Bears are going to be as tolerant of Cutlet's antics as others. I'd love to see him in Denver right now if BM was pulling the crap he is now in training camp.