1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Its official, the patriots cheated....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Hgrove99, May 6, 2015.

1. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Ted Wells: “More probable than not” Patriots manipulated balls
    Posted by Darin Gantt on May 6, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
    [​IMG]AP
    The NFL has released the long-awaited DeflateGate report, and the short version of the findings by Ted Wells is that the Patriots seem to have done something funny here.

The full report was released moments ago, and in his summary, Wells writes that the irregularities in the balls used in the AFC Championship Game.

“For the reasons described in this Report, and after a comprehensive investigation, we have concluded that, in connection with the AFC Championship Game, it is more probable than not that New England Patriots personnel participated in violations of the Playing Rules and were involved in a deliberate effort to circumvent the rules,” Wells concluded. “In particular, we have concluded that it is more probable than not that Jim McNally [the Officials Locker Room attendant for the Patriots] and John Jastremski [an equipment assistant for the Patriots] participated in a deliberate effort to release air from Patriots game balls after the balls were examined by the referee.

“Based on the evidence, it also is our view that it is more probable than not that Tom Brady [the quarterback for the Patriots] was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities of McNally and Jastremski involving the release of air from Patriots game balls.”

That’s a huge finding, particularly as it relates to Brady, who has previously avoided adding much fuel to the fire.

We’ll be going through the full report this afternoon and bringing you the latest on a complicated story.

2. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I find it rather “convenient” that this report is finalized & released after the draft has occurred, so the Patriots could not be made to forfeit any picks like Atlanta was (a 5th, for piping in crowd noise).

Other NFL teams were punished for various offenses as well, but not docked draft picks (Jets fined $100,000 for tampering with Revis, Browns GM suspended for 1st four regular season games for texting to sideline during games).

In addition to the loss of the draft pick, the Falcons were also fined $350,000 and team president Rich McKay was suspended from the competition committee (of which he is the co-chairman) even though it was determined that McKay was not aware of the pumped in crowd noise, he oversees game operations.

With that being the standard (ignorance of wrongdoing being no excuse) one wonders what will happen to Head Coach/General Manager Bill Belichick in light of the NFL’s recent findings but if previous history is any guide, (not suspended a day for “Spygate”, although Sean Payton was run for an entire year despite his ignorance about “Bountygate”) any punishment will likely be pretty light, compared to what would probably be done to another NFL coach or GM for similar offenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Let the wrist slapping begin!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    From what I've read it seems that the coaching staff had no idea about the deflated balls. Basically sounds like Tom Brady was behind it. I think he should be suspended for some games.

5. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Other breaking news:

Bear :poop: in the woods and Pope wears funny hat

:whistling:

6. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    At a minimum, Brady should sit for awhile but under the standard of ignorance not being an excuse (kinda like how CEOs can get sued when harassment goes on in their companies without their knowledge) and the fact that other Head Coaches and/or General Managers have recently been punished for wrongdoing on their clubs that they had no knowledge of, fairness would dictate that Patriots Head Coach & General Manager Bill Belichick should also “miss some time” as well, especially since it’s too late to take a 2015 draft pick from them for this.

7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    More probable than not, any rational person could've drawn the same conclusion months ago.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    This came from a fan forum long-since taken over by a handful of quibbling dullards, but if the below string of texts is real, then not only should the NFL suspend Brady for a year, but they should give Bellichik the Pete Rose treatment. Enough is enough!

Before the start of the 2014-15 season, McNally referred to himself as "the deflator" and stated that he was "not going to espn……..yet." On May 9, 2014, McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following text messages:

McNally: You working
    Jastremski: Yup
    McNally: Nice dude....jimmy needs some kicks....lets make a deal.....come on help the deflator
    McNally: Chill buddy im just f----- with you ....im not going to espn........yet

With the NFL investigation into Deflategate concluding that it is probable the Patriots deliberately deflated footballs and that Tom Brady was "generally aware," here is a gallery of the most talked-about footballs in NFL history, beginning with Brady looking to pass in the first quarter against the Indianapolis Colts.

On Oct. 17, 2014, following a Thursday night game between the Patriots and the New York Jets during which Tom Brady complained angrily about the inflation level of the game balls, McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following text messages:

McNally: Tom sucks...im going make that next ball a f----- balloon
    Jastremski: Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done...
    Jastremski: I told him it was. He was right though...
    Jastremski: I checked some of the balls this morn... The refs f----- us...a few of then were at almost 16
    Jastremski: They didnt recheck then after they put air in them
    McNally: F--- tom ...16 is nothing...wait till next sunday
    Jastremski: Omg! Spaz

On Oct. 21, 2014, McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following text messages:

McNally: Make sure you blow up the ball to look like a rugby ball so tom can get used to it before sunday
    Jastremski: Omg

On Oct. 23, 2014, three days before a Sunday game against the Chicago Bears, Jastremski and McNally exchanged the following messages:

Jastremski: Can't wait to give you your needle this week [​IMG]
    McNally: F--- tom....make sure the pump is attached to the needle.....f----- watermelons coming
    Jastremski: So angry
    McNally: The only thing deflating sun..is his passing rating

The next day, Oct. 24, 2014, Jastremski and McNally exchanged the following messages:

Jastremski: I have a big needle for u this week
    McNally: Better be surrounded by cash and newkicks....or its a rugby sunday
    McNally: F--- tom
    Jastremski: Maybe u will have some nice size 11s in ur locker
    McNally: Tom must really be working your balls hard this week

On Jan. 7, 2015, eleven days before the AFC Championship Game, McNally and Jastremski discussed how McNally would have a "big autograph day" and receive items autographed by Brady the following weekend, before the playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens. McNally and Jastremski exchanged the following text messages:

McNally: Remember to put a couple sweet pig skins ready for tom to sign
    Jastremski: U got it kid...big autograph day for you
    McNally: Nice throw some kicks in and make it real special
    Jastremski: It ur lucky. 11?
    McNally: 11 or 11 and half kid

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...B - SNF on NBC&utm_tags=srm[football,article]

Of all the elements of the Ted Wells report which cast Patriots quarterback Tom Brady in a poor light, a series of text message exchanges between the pair of guys who got game balls where they needed to be and when are near the top of the list.

The messages, not all of which are able to be reprinted here on a family website, give a pretty strong suggestion that not only was Brady in on the deflation, but that he was signing autographs in exchange for special treatment.

The messages between Jim McNally [the officials locker room attendant] and John Jastremski [a Patriots equipment assistant] show a level of detail and planning that indicates this wasn’t a random, or one-time occurrence.

The first exchange was after an Oct. 17, 2014 game against the Jets when Brady complained about the pressure of the balls.

Jastremski wrote “Tom sucks. im going make that next ball a f—in balloon.”

McNally replied: “Talked to him last night. He actually brought you up and said you must have a lot of stress trying to get them done…”

McNally, apparently not a fan of Brady’s (or at least his level of attention of air pressure) made several references to pumping the balls up to “watermleon” or “rugby” size, since Brady preferred softer ones for better control.

Prior to the next game, McNally wrote: “The only thing deflating sun..is his passing rating.”

There was then a discussion of McNally receiving free shoes and gear, and prior to the Jan. 10 game against the Ravens, the two of them were in the equipment room with Brady when McNally “received two footballs autographed by Brady and also had Brady autograph a game-worn Patriots jersey that McNally previously had obtained.”

McNally later referred to himself as “the deflator,” and chided Jastremski by saying “im not going to espn……..yet.”

Those exchanges make it hard to imagine Brady had no knowledge of what’s going on, which he’ll need to answer for later.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    So that probably explains why he did not hand over his text records to the investigators.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Those text messages are hilarious. Tom is too entitled, I guess all that humble pie crap is just that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    I think someone owes Kraft an apology. ;)

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit!

15. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    This is the greatest stuff I've read in a long time. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Good summation of the findings........

(CNN) The Wells Report got it wrong.

After nearly four months of investigations, the report finds it "more probable than not" that the New England Patriots deliberately deflated the balls in the AFC championship game and that star quarterback Tom Brady was "generally aware" of the cheating.

The Wells Report is wrong because it didn't go far enough. It should have said: We have irrefutable evidence, detailed in a 68 page scientific exhibit with two appendixes, that proves the Patriots deflated the balls and cheated on purpose.

This is no cream puff report, this is a relentless and detailed indictment of the conduct of Patriots locker room attendant Jim McNally, equipment assistant John Jastremski and Brady. McNally refers to himself as the "deflator," for crying out loud. Jastremski is clearly the fixer -- supplying the needles to McNally, as well as shoes, signed game balls and other "big autograph day" items as a reward.

Just turn to page 114. You'll see the conclusions of Exponent, an independent firm that was hired to test the Patriots "ideal gas law" defense. The "ideal gas law" defense was the theory that coach Bill Belichick floated in his impromptu press conference after the allegations arose -- as an explanation for why the Patriots' balls deflated magically on their own -- a change in temperature, essentially. The only problem with that theory? Science. At the end of the Wells Report it tackles Belichick's "ideal gas law" -- head on:

"There is only a .4% likelihood -- a fraction of 1% -- that the difference in average pressure between the teams occurred by chance."

Conclusion: The "ideal gas law" doesn't apply here because the only reasonable inference is that human beings did this -- two of them, named McNally and Jastremski. And these two were busy texting and laughing about the cheating.

The report notes that in the weeks and months before the AFC championship game, the two exchanged many text messages.

"In a number of those text messages, McNally and Jastremski discussed the air pressure of Patriots game balls, Tom Brady's unhappiness with the inflation level of Patriots game balls, Jastremski's plan to provide McNally with a 'needle' for use by McNally, and McNally's requests for 'cash' and sneakers together with the 'needle' to be provided by Jastremski."

Here's one excerpt from their conversation:

Jastremski: I have a big needle for you this week

McNally: Better be surrounded by as and new kicks....or its a rugby sunday

McNally: F--k tom

Jastremski: Maybe u will have some nice size 11s in ur locker

McNally: Tom must really be working your balls hard this week.

And, then there's the other question: Was Brady involved in the cheating? He has denied knowing of any wrongdoing. But the answer is: Of course he was involved.

The Wells Report may use legalese that sounds like "probable cause" but make no mistake, this is not a criminal matter in a court of law. Different rules apply in business. Don't buy Patriots owner Robert Kraft's statement: "To say we are disappointed in its findings, which do not include any incontrovertible or hard evidence of deliberate deflation of footballs at the AFC championship game, would be a gross understatement."

Look at the facts, because this is a court of common sense.

Use yours and tell me what you think about the other damning information in the report. Turn to pages 101-110.

After the Indianapolis Colts playoff game, Brady's phone activity with Jastremski suddently picks up after the allegations of deflated balls. For three mornings in a row, the star quarterback was on the phone with an equipment assistant for over 55 minutes before Jastremski turned his phone over for the investigation.

- Two calls for a total 25 minutes and 2 seconds on January 19

- Two calls for almost 10 minutes on January 20

- Two calls for 20 minutes on January 21

There's no recording of those phone conversations but we do have a dozen texts Brady sent to an equipment assistant -- "You good Johnny boy?" and "FYI ... Dave will be picking your brain later about it. He's not accusing me, or anyone ... trying to get to the bottom of it. He knows it's unrealistic you did it yourself. ..."

We live in a moment in time where some of the greats have also turned out to be great at cheating -- Lance Armstrong and A-Rod come to mind. And while sticking a needle into a football isn't as morally offensive as sticking a needle in your arm to juice your performance, it's still cheating.

The Wells Report got the conclusion wrong. It's not "likely" that the Patriots cheated. There is irrefutable evidence that they cheated and Tom Brady was in on it.

You and I know damn well what happened and so does NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. This time, I hope he doesn't need to see videotape of it before he does the right thing.

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Tom entitled? Say it ain't so. The same guy who ran a red light in a $100,000 Audi, t-boned some lady on her way to work. Team came and picked him up to get him to practice, helped the lady get her car fixed. Come to find out the Audi is one of 4 cars he has for doing Charity work. He does charity work for Audi, they give him cars. Sounds like charity work to me. Not to mention he originally paid Bridget Moynahan 6 million dollars so she would raise His kid and go away, oh yah and not name it Brady. Dude is a giant douche bag of a human being, a cheater, and unfortunately, a damn good QB.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    BOMB SHELL SHOCKER!!!!
    Well......if you're not cheat'n, you're not try'n......and it's only cheat'n if you get caught.

So he got caught..finally......gotta wonder how long this has been going on though......because no way in hell this was the ONLY time he did this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    The cover up is always worse than the actual crime.
    If he would've just come out from the get-go and said....."yeah ok....you got me...I did it....but I didn't think it was that big of a deal and I accept full responsibility for my actions and will have any punishment that is dealt to me".
    Well.....I don't think everybody would be freak'n out now......but he just looks like a F'n cheat'n liar now......much like Armstrong and all of those MLB juicers.

20. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Anyone shocked? Next 30 for 30 "Tainted rings" love it! :roflmao:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Bradey's agent apparently...

22. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Sad to say they won't do anything
    Kraft was seen being blown by roger
    So nothing will happen
    But I will always put a * next to their SB win

23. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    zzzzzz... We all expected this. The NFL still gonna apologize to them. No punishments getting handed out and its so convenient that the report comes out after the draft has concluded...

24. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Brady's agent reply is the biggest piece of horse **** ever. These guys have no remorse. Their decade of cheating is a horrible black eye on the NFL that they refuse to fix. Can you believe his agent said the whole investigation was tainted because the Colts notified the NFL of their belief the Patriots cheat with the balls before the championship game and the NFL didn't tell the Patriots they would be double checking the balls... So they didn't notify the Patriots that they think they are cheating and were going to check to see if they were. That's like saying this DUI arrest is tainted because the cop never told me he was going to be watching this street so I could take a different one home... What an *******.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I was watching the Rich Eisen show earlier today and almost threw up on my couch. Richs take is basically that nowhere does it show in the investigation Tom Brady ordering those guys to cheat and that they obviously didn't like Tom and could have "set him up". Rich also looked up something in the rule book he believes that all of this falls under as for punishments. He believes that Tom shall only get a $25k fine boom end of story. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?! first off this isn't the Patriots first go around with cheating andddddd I'm sure Tom has liked throwing flat balls for awhile now which means he has been getting away with it for who knows how long and your going to say $25k fine will do it? un real.

26. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    He wipes his a$$ with 25g's
    What a pile of :poop:

27. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    What if I told you Champions are judged by the merits of their labor and the shadows they cast. A ESPN 30 for 30 special the downfall of a franchise the true story of Tom Brady and the Patriots.

Grab your popcorn and set your DVR

28. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    ......News-flash....
    Ballboy gets blamed, Brady and Bellichick laugh and walk away

nothing new here

29. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I heard Marshall Faulk on 1360, he pointed out that this happened on Bellcheats watch, similar to Bountygate under Sean Paytons watch who had purportedly had no involement. Sean Peyton suspended a year. It seems trivial deflating footballs, but it seems beneficial to reduce fumbles, I wonder fumble ratio of the cheatriots, Tom Brady specifically, etc. Ps, if this appears to be beneficial, this is not an isolated incident, been going on for years.

Given their cheating history, I call for Belicheat, and Tom Brady suspended for a year. :abq2:

30. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Bradee's response:

mad.png

• Funny Funny x 1