1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

It's time to give Turner kudos

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    UNION-TRIBUNE
    October 9, 2007
    The general feeling around here was that Norv Turner had a whole lot to do with the Chargers' three straight losses, a goat in coach's clothing, and sometimes woolen goats can be better dressed. This guy couldn't win a blackjack hand if he were dealt ace-king. If he ran for president, he'd be Thomas Dewey. If he ran for governor, he'd be Gray Davis. Recall petitions were circulated four weeks ago.

The worst thing that could have happened to Turner happened. He walked into a lose-lose situation and dropped three of his first four games. So what do you all think now? Did the new head coach figure in his team's 38-point spanking of the Broncos, or was he merely an innocent bystander?
    Come on. A little credit? A lot of credit? No credit?
    I realize the San Diego populous is about as sold on Turner the head coach as it is on rampant piracy, but Turner and his staff must have done something right in Colorado, just as surely as they must have done something wrong in those losses to New England, Green Bay and Kansas City.
    Tell you what, you take a team into Denver and win by 38, we're talking accomplishment, and I don't care how good or bad the Broncos are. I've been hanging around the Chargers consistently for this company since 1980, and I've seen them win at Mile High three times in person. Denver is not just the toughest place to play in the NFL, but in football, period. It's 5,280 feet in the air, always sold out, and loud. The Broncos have an incredible home-field advantage. And yet Norv and his kids basically had the Invesco joint deserted by the end of the third quarter. ESPN's Tom Jackson, who played for the Broncos, Sunday night took one look at that empty stadium and said he'd never seen anything like it in Denver. And Norv had a hand in it. At least I guess he did, he being the head coach and all, and we know the importance of a head coach. In world impact, there's President of the United States and Head Football Coach.

I've even had e-mails from devoted readers claiming club President Dean Spanos purposely hired Turner so he could lose and move the team. Please. One last time. Winners or losers, the Spanoses are free to move about the country after the 2008 season. They don't have to go 2-14.
    They didn't have to hire a head coach with a losing record, either, but they did. So did New England owner Robert Kraft. Fellow named Bill Belichick. It must be hard not being loved, although I'm often this close to knowing what it's like.
    “It's been tough on Norv,” says General Manager A.J. Smith. “He was nothing but a coordinator. A loser. He knows the perception, and it was tough on him in Washington, Oakland and it's been tough on him here. But he's a pro. I'll put my money on Norv.”
    In a sense, Smith is. Contrary to public opinion, while the GM didn't like Marty Schottenheimer, he didn't fire him. Spanos did. Turner was Smith's hire, a big-time gamble without house money.
    However, I don't put that much stock in this “transition” thing. True, San Diego had tremendous coaching turnover, but this was Turner's offense and defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell was well-schooled in the 3-4 alignment. Pittsburgh has a new coach. The Steelers are 4-1. The Raiders, Sunday's visitors, are coached by a young man who still doesn't know how to hold a razor and Oakland is leading the AFC West.
    Turner has made some play-calling mistakes – and that's an area in which he is expert – and I know Cottrell has slipped. But things can get fixed. The Chargers on Sunday did most everything well, aided tremendously by one of quarterback Philip Rivers' finest games as a professional.
    Football is a game of blocking and tackling and the Chargers finally tackled people. Tacklers tend to concentrate better when things are going the team's way. Finishers tend to finish when there's something to finish.
    Rivers had not been playing par football, and he has to. Doesn't matter how good LaDainian Tomlinson is, Rivers has to make good decisions, be accurate and manage a game. Turner is masterful with quarterbacks, but he can't get behind center for them. Quarterbacks are the sport's umbilical cords.
    Most great head coaches – and Turner is not that – have been about as good as their quarterbacks. Brown had Graham. Ewbank had Unitas. Lombardi had Starr. Noll had Bradshaw. Madden had Stabler. Landry had Staubach. Walsh had Montana. Johnson had Aikman. Shanahan had Elway. Belichick has Brady. Dungy has Manning. Where would Coryell have been without Fouts? And vice-versa?
    The “transition” is much smoother when head coach and quarterback are reading from the same paragraph. That all seemed to come together Sunday in Denver. Players feed off of quarterbacks. When they go wrong, so can everything else. The Chargers and Rivers didn't turn it over in Denver.
    So, Norv Turner didn't, either. Result: 41-3.
    “You don't always learn from your mistakes,” Rivers says. “You can learn from playing well.” From the mouth of this babe? Profound.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +501
    Yeah I like the way Norv's personality is the same after a big win (in Denver) and a devastating loss (at home to Chiefs). He seems like quite a cool, calm collected bloke. I hope there is a volcano going on though below the surface. We don't want a softie in charge.

Still think he is going to have it tough this year.

Still think his DC sucks pineapples. Ted will be Norv's achilles heel. It might be a case of, you score 30 we score 31.

:icon_toast:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Ted Cottrell is so much more to blame for those 3 losses than Norv will ever be.
    Giving up 30pts a week makes it nearly impossible for your offense to win games for you.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Don't put it ALL on the D. The offense was directly responsible for a number of the points opponents scored in our losses.

Off the top of my head, didn't Rivers throw a pick 6 in the first Q of the Pats game? Didn't we have a fumble returned for a td in the KC game? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I've tried to burn those memories from my mind.

5. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I thought this was a "Give Norv Turner Props" thread? :icon_shrug:

:icon_rofl:

6. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

Seems more like a "Prop Norv up on Cotrell's bloated carcass" thread:icon_shrug:

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Where's B4L anyway? This thread has been up for over an hour now... :icon_shrug:

8. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Did you really think he was going to give Norv props? :lol:

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Winning big helps soothe my anger, but I still want us to beat a good defense before I completely forget about the atrocity that occurred on Sept. 30.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Turner and hell even Cottrell deserve some respect because it wasn't like we just squeaked by the Broncos, we totally turned them into dog food. First time we ever won so big at Invesco/Mile High. For that, I won't criticize too much either of them

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Chicago: We won but it took a loooooong time for our offense to get anything going and the defense looked great!

New England: Both offense and defense were garbage!

Green Bay: The defensive play calling was garbage!

Kansas City: The offensive play calling was garbage!

Norv is suppose to be the offensive guru and is suppose to make our offense better. I say he's just as much to blame for the bad start.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I did on Monday.

Though as I said, it didn't look like Norv's play calling.

13. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The Bucs should offer up a FIRST for the Son of Norvell.

They would be getting a proven monster RB who I am going to hate seeing go bye bye and so long as he stays away from the AFC, the better.

If we do not sign any big name free agents in the mean time we lose el hijo de Norv, we will get at least a comp 3rd round pick in 2009's draft.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You know, I always heard there was more than one way to skin a cat. You have now proved that there is a plethora of ways to beat a dead hores.

For the record books. I get it, you dont like Norv no matter what. I get the message...

Can we talk about something else now? Hows about home brewing?:icon_toast:

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

:yes:

:tup:

Even when the Broncos were like 5-11 under Elway and Reeves about 20 years ago, they still whomped the Chargers 20-10 in Mile High.

But the Bolts had Henning and Billy Joe Tolliver back then so.... :lol:

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I saw it but the rest of the gorillas like to miss it.

You keep preaching that hate and never bow down to the forum bullies who like to gang up on you. EFF them all. :yes:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

This was in response to this statement "Ted Cottrell is so much more to blame for those 3 losses than Norv will ever be." I pointed out that they're both to blame.

Now if we finish higher than last season, I'll give major props to Norv. I saw some improvement last Sunday and I hope it continues.

For the records, he has A LOT more people to shut up than me. Do a Google search on him. Many sources refer to him as
    "The Franchise Killer!!"
    So far, he's a proven loser but I hope he turns that around!!!

The home brewing is good so far. Will we be drinking youur batch soon? :icon_party:

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:lol: :lol:

Like ALL of us, I want Chargers wins and I want a Super Bowl Title!!!
    Sunday was a nice breather but we have tougher teams ahead!!

I speak the truth and I'm not a hater without purpose!! :)

19. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    B4L still criticizing Norv after coaching the biggest *** beating of the Donks in chargers history. The worst home loss for the Donks in 41 years!

Just Shocking I tell ya...just shocking..

Now it is the Norv didn't call the game card...

And to think I was going to take him off ignore to see if he had any thing worth reading... :no:

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Read with your eyes open.

I gave Norv props for last Sunday but there is still plenty ahead.

I also didn't say "Norv didn't call the game card."
    I said it didn't look like Norv's play calling...
    In the English language, that means he changed his play calling!! Get with the times!!

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Oh goodie, 'nuther Norv sucks thread :icon_eek:

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I just had to see what you wrote, and you just stepped on yourself..
    When you say "It didn't look like Norv's play calling" that usually infers that somebody ELSE made the calls...

Thanks for shopping....

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No, I have to get the stuff and do up a batch, but my super sponge powers have failed me, when they were exposed to Coorsinyte. So I have not bee able to procure any gimme tickets.

That and my continual verbal obliteration of Trumpy and his lack of anything resembling logic has turned off that sourse of ticketage.:lol:

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Somebody posted something about that but there was no real credible evidence.

Though I'm thinking that some of the players might have given him some advice. Maybe suggested to try some things that they did last season. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Maybe that's why the play calling looked different that what I've seen of Norv in the past.

25. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    If Norv called the plays, by definition, it was his playcalling.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

change –verb (used with object)

1. to make the form, nature, content, future course, etc., of (something) different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone: to change one's name; to change one's opinion; to change the course of history.

2. to transform or convert (usually fol. by into): The witch changed the prince into a toad.

3. to substitute another or others for; exchange for something else, usually of the same kind: She changed her shoes when she got home from the office.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/changed

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Hope you get it going soon.

That would be cool if everybody made a batch of home brew and brought it to the game!! :bolt:

28. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Yes they kept posting that the O-line coach was calling the plays for some reason. They had no evidence and did it on about every forum.

Also there were a few articles about Norv changing his offense a bit.

One talked about him going back to basics to make it easier on Rivers who seemed to have a tough time with the new wrinkles.

Another was about Norv talking to LT with a one on one conversation that LT seemed very happy after leaving.

Another mentioned that Thursday was their best practice yet and they were all excited about it.

I think Norv expected too much from his players. He put too many wrinkles in and kind of lost the identity of the Chargers. It did not help that our defense was doing badly either.

29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554

Blow me--an idiomatic expression used to insult someone.

You said Norv's playcalling didn't look like Norv's playcalling. That's like saying, "The sky doesn't look like the sky." I think what's more likely is that your perception of Norv's playcalling was not accurate.