1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Iverson Trade Talk

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by reef shark, Dec 13, 2006.

1. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    AI has been on the block for a few days now, and apparently sacramento has "dropped out" of the talks. However, the Kings owners pulled this same move with Artest before they traded for him last season. personally i would like to see Iverson go to a west coast team like the clippers, kings, or warriors. i would also be excited to watch him play in denver or minnesota as well. In terms of a best fit, i think Sacramento and Minnesota are best. how bout u?

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    3 way trade involving Boston Indy and Philly you heard it here first

3. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    this is plausible but i wouldnt like to see it. i think its obvious that philly would want to at least get him outta the conference so they dont gotta deal with him later

4. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Actually I think the opposite. Allen Iverson is a team destroyer. He is a ballhog, not an elite defender and he shoots a horrible % for all those shots he jacks up. The only thing he brings to a team is the ability to draw fouls but at 31 he will only be able to do so at a high level for another 2 years max. If you have Iverson on your team you will pretty much go 41-41 on the season and never win a championship, that's how it works. If he were willing to play within a system and reduce his shot total from like 23 shots a game to 15-17 shots a game then maybe this could change but he won't. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He has always been an extremely overrated player in my opinion. If you gave a guy like Jose Calderon on the raptors 24 shots a game on average and let him control everything, he too could go to the line 10 times a game and put up 25-30 points a game. Basketball is all about defense, protecting the basketball (low turnover rt.), ball rotation, the ability to draw fouls and shooting percentage. That is it. Iverson is good at drawing fouls, that is it. The only reason he's even good at that is because he gets the superstar treatment and at least 2-3 phantom calls a game (resulting in like two 2 shots from the stripe and a couple of and 1's).

5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    do you remember the 2000 season. against kobe and shaq in their prime. and if he is a ballhog then who is he supposed to pass to...there are talks about theo ratliff comin back to philly. enuff said

6. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Iverson has never won and will never win a championship. His jumper is and has always been below average. The only thing he does on court is shoot bricks, come up with a steal every now and then, and make a flashy crossover every now and then to get to the line. I can guarantee that wherever he goes he will screw the team over. He averages 42 minutes a game over his career. He has had a lot of weapons the past few years and back in the late 90's he had weapons too. Regardless, you don't even need to be a "weapon" to shoot a higher FG% than him. 42% career fg% and 30% from downtown is pathetic for a guy who is taking 25 shots a game. His assist/turnover ratio is poor too. Anyone who trades for him is in complete desperation mode. This guy is making 17 million a year which is nuts. You add him, you can't add anyone else... which makes him the centerpiece of your team... and if he's the centerpiece of your team... you will not win a championship. Allen Iverson sucks.

7. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    hah you are funny. i hope you dont bet against him you will lose. but seriously you havent seen the truth. but he will win a championship. he is only 31

• Like Like x 1
  8. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Hey I didn't mean to offend you if you are a Sixers fan but trust me if you are, you will be set for the future if you deal Iverson. Tank this season and you can wind up with Greg Oden/Kevin Durant, and without Iverson's 17m salary you can go get a big name player in the offseason or load the roster with quality depth. Iguadala is money. Dalembert (I went to basketball camp here with him when I was younger) is an adequate starter. Korver is a machine and could actually START because of the strength of the rest of the team defensively if they replace webber and iverson with decent defenders... this is the guy that should be getting the ball 20+ times a game, but the reality is that he won't. Still, 15 shots a game and that will do wonders. He is the best pure shooter in the game right now.

A lineup that would look great is;

PG (pass first guard with defensive abilities)
    SG Andre Iguodala
    SF Kyle Korver
    PF (crash the boards/defensive abilities... the complete opposite of Webber basically)
    C Samuel Dalembert

Chris Webber is making 37% of his "shats" which is pathetic for a bigman. Compare that to a guy who has been mentioned as a possible target in Andris Biedrins, who is hitting 66% of his shats from the floor. That is near double! Biedrins is playing better defense AND rebounding better. Iverson is going to be the first to go then Webber.

Philly should do whatever to get Biedrins and tank the season. Next season they look like;

*Pass first PG*
    Andre Iguodala
    Kyle Korver
    Andris Biedrins
    Samuel Dalembert

With Iggy you have your midrange game and penetration. With Korver you have your 3 ball and curls and sweeps off of screens, with Biedrins you have an inside/outside post/perimeter game and with Dalembert you have an inside game. That is covering every single spot on the floor... that is an attack that can attack you from everywhere and can really stretch out a defense. A point guard like Iverson, who is always looking for his own shot and not for his teammates, would never be able to take advantage of having this kind of a setup around him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i did kinda like philly for a while but only bc of AI. and this was only bc of what he did at georgetown. but i agree that this will benefit philly in the long run, and also that webber has gone downhill. this was a big part in all this. although in the beginning of the year i thought philly would be better bc of the possible combo of iguodala and carney, who i think will be good. but korver is a marginal starter, bc he struggles to create his own shot and can be shaky on defense imo. i can see why iverson gets the ballhog rep, but look at how many allstar teammates hes had. and none of those guys have flourished in other places. also, look at his assist numbers the last few years (about 7 pg)..

10. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Iverson is a denver nugget. Philly just made an awesome trade. Andre Miller is the pass first PG they need. Joe Smith is an expiring contract guy who can provide some minutes... and TWO 1st rounders next year (most likely both in the 20's) will net them some young talent. In total they have 3 first rounders next year so they can even package all those to move up if they like someone who is lottery bound. Great trade for Philly.

11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yea getting miller was solid, but joe smith is probably due for another injury. idk how they also got 2 first rds but billy king just handled the nugs. of course this is all secondary to the 9 chargers who are going to hawaii (and the guys that got overlooked) but i was still real excited about the prospect of ai playin against the west. when melo gets back they will dominate

12. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Iverson Is Now A Denver Nugget