1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jack Del Raider......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I still remember the owners of the Jaguars noting that Del Rio was outmatched many times during his tenure, and that's when the Jags were a half way decent team.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    With the dismantling of the Denver staff and now this hire, things are looking promising next season in the West. :cool:

5. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    OTOH, he beat Mike Tomlin and the Steelers in a playoff game in Pittsburgh, and as soon as Del Rio left the Jags went from below-average to among the worst teams of this generation. It's not like he was supported by strong decision making in the front office. Fortunately this is the Raiders we're talking about so nothing changes in his second go-round.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The only thing I hope for is that he looks at players like Mack and Jackson and decides they don't fit what he wants, then gets rid of them :-p
    As a coach, he doesn't scare or concern me.

Part of the failure in Jax wasn't just him. He was given some good players originally and had a good D with Henderson/Stroud but the GM didn't provide him much support and Del Rio couldn't coach much out of the players at a certain point.

7. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    His leadership style is questionable. He had locker room leaders in Stroud, Mike Peterson, and Deon Grant and managed to utterly isolate those guys to the point where he lost the locker room even before he entered what was his "lame duck year" where he was told "make the playoffs or you're fired" while being given a malaise team.

Gene Smith as a GM did the man no favors, believe me. But Del Rio was utterly lost on defense when Mike Smith was hired away by Atlanta. Mike McCoy in his two years has done more with less in similar situations (not the most talent-rich teams, but expected to make the playoffs - and did one year and narrowly missed the other - while in the same division as Peyton). Evidently he's been recruiting Marc Trestman to be his OC - and Trestman (despite the WR production in Chicago) is more conservative in terms of offensive gameplanning and decision-making than Mike McCoy.

If Mark Davis can manage to not turn into another Dan Snyder or Daddy Al, JDR can probably get the Turds to semi-respectable/6-7 wins a season territory, but unless they get hold of a good amount more play-makers (and depth), that's probably the ceiling because JDR really only gets his teams over the hump when he's flush with talent and all the breaks go his way.

8. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I think Jack Del Rio will be good for the Raiders - damnit!
    :raiderssuck: