1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jackie Battle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Sep 25, 2012.

1. mando-charger

mando-charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I like the mix of both battle and mathews as well. I like battles power in 3rd down and goal line situations, i like mathews for his ability to be a bit more dynamic, cutting and finding holes to run through for big yards. They both have thier strengths and i think its wise to use them both as we saw in the kc game. I still think mathews should be our primary back for sure, but as he mentione his self after that fumble against atl, he is just coming of an injury, he may be a bit rusty. So mathews and battle splitting the carries may be beneficial for one to get back into the flow and the other to get more game time and especially for the team to win.....

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I think we all like the mix and I think we all agree that Battle should get between 7-12 carries a game. Doesn't change the fact that Mathews is and should be the primary back and be out there the vast majority of the time

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Mathews (if he remains healthy and holds on to the ball) will be at 1200 yd rusher by season's end.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That sounds pretty reasonable. And part of that will be because we have a guy like Battle to absorb some of the season's punishment.

IMO, too many people have jumped too far in opposite directions. Some think Mathews should be banished to Oakland, others think that using Battle more is a sign of Norv's weakness. I call BS on both. No reason whatsoever that both guys can't get plenty of touches & be productive.

Now get McClain blocking like a FB & we may really have something.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Mathews is undoubtedly the better player right up until he fumbles. Against bad teams this doesn't matter, because they won't have the opportunities to make us pay for Mathews putting the ball on the ground. However, against quality opponents, a single turnover can have devastating consequences to the outcome of the game. Having Mathews on the field is like going to an orgy without a rubber. Having Battle on the field is like going to the beach and reading a book. In the first case, you're going to score alot, but you might end up with AIDS and kill your season. In the second case, you're a lot less likely to score, but your chances of contracting something horrible go down a lot.

6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I don't know why people thought McClain was some kind of road grader at FB. Never has been and never will be. He's just a little bit better version of Jacob Hester... he gets in people's way enough to let the RB get by him... and he can tote the rock when needed.

But yeah, the Jackie Battle thing is a nice surprise. So if teams have to take any time out of their schedule to plan for him... that's a plus. And if they take no time to plan for him... even better! But he's no Marion Butts!

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Magic Johnson disagrees.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    I'd continue to go with Battle to help soften up the defense along with McClain for Ryginas entrance into the game. A tough ground game helps slow down a good pass rush and the speed change up between Battle and RM is night and day, besides, RM isn't a slouch in the power department either. He just can't drop the rock on the ground.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    Sorry, I'm a pretty big Mathews defender, but interceptions and fumbles are not comparable. Interceptions are part of the passing game. Granted, stupid INTs can be avoided, but fumbles are far more avoidable. I think Mathews deserves a break from the constant attacks about fumbling. Like Jackie Battle said, coming back from a long layoff is tough. If Mathews can get a few more games under his belt without a fumble, I expect he will get more confident and this problem will slowly go away.

10. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Battle is also not going to say anything to ruffle any feathers with Mathews or the coaches. Battle said exactly what he is scripted to say.

11. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Mathews has to be the "one" in the one two punch.

12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    Just as long as he doesn't have to start out by rushing on first downs...

A note to Norv:

Whatever happened to those runnig back/flanker screens and pitches?

• Like Like x 1
  13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    They're in New Orleans now.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Anyone who truly believes Battle is a better RB than Mathews is out of their cotton picking mind. The only reason Battle's season stats look better than RM's as of today is because the opportunity has been there where as Mathews missing 6 weeks of TC, coming off of a broken collar bone, getting benched until the 4th. But if you take side by side stats to both against KC take away the 2 TD's and Mathews line is far superior.

I see some of these Battle fans as one of a kind, They'll scream for a guys number until they're blue in the face, TuTu and Walters come to mind;) I seem to recall people getting their pitch forks and torches ready when Battle was brought in. I also remember a lot of people saying he wont make the final 53 because we have RM, Brown, and Brinkley.

Norv sent a message "we can win without you" lets hope message was received. As far as who do we need more, that'll go to Mathews also, Battle is a one trick pony, a bruiser back, where as Mathews is a home run hitter and can do so much more in that back field which in ways helps our other players get going like Gates and hopefully Meach.

15. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    and if you take away Tom Bradys good looks, muscles, popularity and money and what you have left is you

and mathews can do a lot for fumbling and on the injury list. Mathews hasn't hit a home-run yet

16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    This wasn't a matter of Battle mindlessly coming to the defense of Mathews. He was speaking from his own personal experpience. Battle has never lost a fumble in a regular season game. But he fumbled in his first preseason game this year, and he attributed it to missed practice time due to an injury. He said getting used to game contact, when you haven't been seeing practice contact is very difficult.

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Jackie Battle is no Marion Butts

18. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    What do you mean home run?

I dont know what you guys want from this kid? he had 222 carries last year and rushed for over 1000 yards with 6 td's in 14 games Rated 7th best RB in the league 7 our of 32 for those keeping score at home. Sure he has 11 fumbles and that has to stop but seriously give this kid a break. It's his 3rd year, lets see how he finishes before we call for his head.

Injury prone?!?!?! lets see all the games he's missed were freak injuries. Broken collar bone, High ankle sprain, etc.
    its not like he's missing games with soft tissue stuff like hamstrings or groin, we're talking about broken bones. Let me see a 400 lb man roll on your ankle and see if you don't call out from work the next day.

When he was selected with the 12th overall pick in 2010 maybe he promised to solve world hunger or cure cancer in a press conference or something cuz some of you guys are making it seem like he is the only thing preventing us from going to the super bowl.

Would you rather have had Jahvid Best? because I can guarantee he would most likely be our next option if Mathews was gone.

19. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    He is to soft for the NFL. Broken collar bone is not a freak accident- it is the most broken bone in the body. Many guys get tackled all day long on Sunday but Mathews breaks his. Mathews is what is called Early stages of Osteoporsis. His bones are not very dense thus making it easy to bruise, break, fracture.

Yeah, 400 lb men do roll on my ankle once a week and I still go to work.. lol...

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Anyone who thinks that Battle is BETTER than Mathews is mistaken. That in no way means that a combo of these 2 isn't a very good situation to exploit.

21. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    Battle is the body shot to soften them up, RM should be the big overhand right for the knock out. Don't drop the ROCK!!!!