1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson a true playmaker

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Sep 25, 2009

Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson delivers the big catch when his team needs it, but the fifth-year pro takes pride in being a complete player.

It’s easy to look at a box score and see what kind of performance Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson [​IMG] turned in last week against the Ravens, one that has pretty regular for the fifth-year pro. He caught six passes for 141 yards and a touchdown.

But take a little closer look at the box score. Each of Jackson’s six receptions went for first downs. Five of them covered 16 yards or more. He also cleared out a linebacker to help spring [​IMG] Darren Sproles on an 81-yard catch and run. “VJ” recovered a fumble near the goal line that kept a scoring drive alive, and his teammates believe there isn’t a wide receiver in the league who contributes more in the run game as a blocker.

“He’s become a complete player,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “That’s nothing new to the people who have been watching him.”
    Completeness is exactly what Jackson has sought, particularly over the last three years as he’s emerged as one of the Chargers’ top playmakers. While he loves nothing more than making the big catch down the field, Jackson believes that being a complete player involves more than just getting open and snagging passes.

“It’s winning every play,” Jackson said. “It’s blocking every down when we’re running the ball. That’s a big part of our offense. I want to be dynamic as a receiver, not just a stretch the field guy. I want to be a third-down guy, an across-the-middle-guy and just be as versatile as possible.”

This summer, Chargers quarterback [​IMG] Philip Rivers praised Jackson for the way the 6-5, 230-pound receiver has grown in his understanding of the game. For Jackson, a stronger grasp on the cerebral part of the game was another step in his pursuit of becoming more complete.

“This game is 75 percent mental,” Jackson said. “It’s about understanding what's expected of you and the concept of our offense better and having a relationship with the quarterback.”

While the little things may signify how Jackson is such a well-rounded player, he’s thrived at his most important job function: getting open and catching the ball.

Jackson’s 197 receiving yards are sixth most in the NFL, and his average of 17.9 yards per catch is second only to Dallas Clark among players with at least 10 receptions.

He also has a touchdown reception in each of the Chargers’ first two games.

Turner sees Jackson’s high level of play over the last couple years as a product of the way Jackson has devoted himself in the offseason program, in the film room and in practice, and Turner couldn’t be happier for his star receiver.

“Those things don’t just happen,” Turner said. “That happens over a period of time. All of training camp, he’s become a number one go-to receiver and I think he’s on his way to becoming one of the better receivers in the league.”

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    IMO, he's the next guy who needs a deal done. Even before McNeill. He & PR have a good rapport going. Just watch the adjustments that they make to defeat defenders - it's pretty uncanny at times.

VJ may be the best WR in the game. Sounds like homerism, but how well do Fitz & Andre Johnson block? VJ gets after it every play. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    QFT

VJ is the best WR we've had in a long LONG time. He's had a couple off-the-field issues, but knows all the right things to say and I really believe he's a good enough guy to deserve the long term deal.

Get it done AJ. :bolt:

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    hell yeah get him signed:tup:

5. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Signed!

Open the vault and pay him, he's earned it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Vincent Jackson Makes The Most Acrobatic Catches in the NFL

September 24, 2009 – 10:00 am by Jimmy Shapiro

This post is courtesy of Tim Gunter from 790 the Zone in Atlanta. Vincent Jackson and the Chargers are one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl this year. They are in a week division and their schedule is not that tough so there’s a good chance they’ll have home field advantage throughout the playoffs. The Chargers offense should pose serious matchup problems because of the amount of weapons this offense has. In addition to Vincent Jackson, defenses also have to cover Chris Chambers and Malcom Floyd on the outside, keep both LaDainian Tomlinson and Darren Sproles in check as well as cover Antonio Gates running down the seams or through the middle of the field. Vincent Jackson is a big, physical receiver who fits in perfectly in this Chargers vertical passing scheme. He has excellent balance and footwork which he uses to “box out” defenders when going up for jump balls. He will without a doubt improve on the numbers he posted last season as Rivers continues to take deep shots down the field.

Vincent Jackson joined XX Sports Radio in SD to talk about a way to verbalize how he felt after that spectacular catch last Sunday, if he was aware of anything else besides the ball in the air, whether he appreciates a good catch right then and there or when he sees it on film, whether he saw the Monday night game against the Dolphins, his relationship with Philip Rivers, how much nonverbal communication goes on between he and Philip, and what he is expecting from the Dolphins this weekend.

On a way to verbalize how he felt after that spectacular catch last Sunday:

“Of course, it’s a route that we had open earlier in the game and I was just hoping for enough time to get a ball over there… Their safeties were trying to undercut those receivers so we knew they left a hole open in the middle of the field and Philip just put it up early enough for me to go get it.”

On if he was aware of anything else besides the ball in the air:

“Mainly I am just focusing on how much space I have left out the back of the end zone, where the defensive back is at. Am I going to have to turn around and go up and get the ball and make a play on it? Or can I go ahead and shield my body… Just shield him with my body and catch it over my shoulder.”

On whether he appreciates a good catch right then and there or when he sees it on film:

“You definitely get excited when this happens but to go back and watch the film and watch the play develop the way you kind of draw it up its exciting.”

On his relationship with Philip Rivers:

“That is just something that comes with time. Our lockers are pretty close to each other and we are always joking and talking about everything on and off the field. We have definitely grown closer in the last two or three years and I think that relationship will continue to blossom.”

On how much nonverbal communication goes on between him and Philip:

“There is a lot. A lot of things where he might give me a look in the huddle and saying: If we get this look, expect it up quick or something. It’s just something that I am already trying to keep it in the back of my mind. When I line up or got a certain defender on me or we got a certain coverage he kind of peeks over to me and I know his body language to know that he is like: Go ahead and go on this guy because I am going to put it up. It comes with time and a lot of practice but I think it is going to pay off for us this year.”

On what he is expecting from the Dolphins this weekend:

“For sure. Everybody is going to count them out so you know it’s a Monday Night game and they are traveling across the country but these are professionals. These guys are going to come in and out together a good game plan for us. They played us tough the last time we played them. Like you said they were in this position last year and they beat a real good team. We are taking nothing away from them. We are not going to hold anything back. We are going to come out very aggressive and they will be ready for their best shot.”

Listen to Vincent Jackson on XX Sports Radio in San Diego with Darren Smith

7. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Guys like Sproles and VJ are the future in our success and we need to keep hold of them.VJ has been outstanding so far this campaign:bolt::bolt:

8. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    VJ may not have the stage presence of an LT or a Shawne Merriman, but he gets the job done and he does it more consistently than either one of them these days. I say sign him for the long term, make him a franchise player---he's earned it!!:tup:

9. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Agree completely, gotta get these guys signed up long term.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The more River's gets VJ, Gate's, Chamber's or M-80 involved in the game, big running lanes will open up. I still smell the Lombardi this year and yes, I am crazy enough to believe. I listen to the voices in my head, and they tell me the rest of the NFL is fawked.:icon_eek:

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Color me crazy too, HB. :tup:

12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Jackson signing FTW. :tup: