1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson approaching milestone

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The last two weeks have brought key victories for the Chargers thanks in large part to the clutch play of wide receiver Vincent Jackson, and the fourth-year pro’s big performances against Oakland and Kansas City have him on the verge of accomplishing something that hasn’t been done by a Bolts wide receiver in seven seasons.

With a combined 11 receptions for 237 yards against the Raiders and Chiefs, Jackson now has 940 receiving yards this season. He needs just 60 yards Sunday in Tampa to become the first Chargers wide receiver since Curtis Conway in 2001 to record 1,000 yards in a season.

“I’d definitely be proud,” Jackson said. “It’s not something a lot of receivers do on this team. Especially with less than 70 catches.”

While his comments were in no way intended to pat himself on the back, the latter part of Jackson’s words shed light on the number of big plays he’s turned in this season. His 42-yard catch in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s win in Kansas City set up the game-winning touchdown grab he made three plays later.

Of his 50 receptions this season, Jackson has seven catches of 40 or more yards, which ties him with Green Bay’s Greg Jennings and Detroit’s Calvin Johnson for the most in the NFL. His 18.8 yards per catch average is the highest among players with at least 50 receptions.

“He’s made big play after big play after big play,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “He’s really been as consistent as can be.”

Consistency is exactly what Jackson has strived for this season. While sharing the field with playmakers like Antonio Gates, LaDainian Tomlinson and Chris Chambers, Jackson knows that his opportunities may not be consistent but his approach must be.

“I don’t change,” Jackson said. “I work hard every week and do what I need to do to get ready. We have so many weapons, it’s not a matter of I’m just doing something special the last couple weeks. It’s a matter of I’ve been the one who has statistically shown up.”

In Head Coach Norv Turner’s second year with the club, he has seen Jackson piece together the different aspects of his game to become a more complete player.

“He’s such a big, physical receiver and he’s really learned how to use his speed,” Turner said. “He’s learned how to use his speed getting in and out of breaks and he just keeps getting better. This has been an outstanding year for him. I really want to see him finish it strong and build on all the things he’s done.”

Floyd update

Wide receiver Malcom Floyd is back in San Diego but will not practice or play this week as he recovers from a collapsed lung he suffered against the Chiefs. Floyd wasn’t in the locker room following practice but his teammates have been in contact with him.

“Malcom week in and week out has been nothing but outstanding,” Rivers said. “You hate to see that happen to him. You text him and say, ‘Hey, how are you feeling? Hope you’re alright.’ His response is, ‘We won. That’s all that matters.’ That’s the kind of guy you’re dealing with. He loves being a part of this team. He’ll certainly be missed. Him getting healthy is most important.”

Floyd has posted career highs in receptions (27), yards (465) and touchdowns (4) this season.

Other injuries

In addition to Floyd, defensive tackle Jamal Williams (rest), linebacker Stephen Cooper (knee), cornerback Quentin Jammer (illness) and linebacker Anthony Waters (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Center Nick Hardwick was back on the field and said he felt fine three days after suffering a concussion in Kansas City. Safety Clinton Hart and fullback Mike Tolbert also returned to the field after missing Sunday’s game.

Rainy day

Heavy showers poured on San Diego Wednesday, causing the Chargers to end their practice approximately 30 minutes early. Turner and his players felt like they still had a productive afternoon in the driving rain.

“I thought our guys handled the rain real well,” Turner said. “I thought we got done what we needed to. It’s not what you’d like. We’ll do a couple more things tomorrow to make up for it.”

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson enjoyed the atypical San Diego weather, saying that it conjured up some good memories.

“It’s actually fun to get out in the rain,” Tomlinson said. “It reminds you of when you were a kid. I know when I was a kid, every time it rained we had this big field where we’d go play football. It was all muddy and my mom hated it. It kind of reminded me of those days.”

No hard feelings

Despite leading the NFL in passer rating and sharing the league lead in touchdown passes, Rivers wasn’t one of the three AFC quarterbacks named to the Pro Bowl Tuesday. The Bolts’ signal caller took the news in stride despite many media outlets calling his omission a big snub.

“I think it just shows to me as a quarterback, the most important stat is wins and losses,” Rivers said. “I’ve said that all along regardless of the Pro Bowl, you want to win. You want to do everything to help your team win and then I think individual accomplishments and awards will come.”

Milestone ahead

Tight end Antonio Gates has been stuck on 49 career touchdowns for five weeks now but still has a chance to reach 50 scores faster than any other tight end in NFL history. Sunday will be Gates’ 92nd career game, and the current record holder Jerry Smith currently holds the record after scoring his 50th touchdown in his 100th game.

Gates also sits just 28 yards shy of 5,000 for his career. If he reaches the 5,000-yard mark Sunday, he’ll be the second fastest tight end to accomplish the feat. Hall of Famer Kellen Winslow did so in 69 games.

Good history

The Chargers are 4-0 all time in Tampa, but it’s been a while since the Bolts visited the area. The Chargers’ last trip to Tampa produced a victory in which Stan Humphries threw two touchdown passes and John Carney booted four field goals in the 1993 regular-season finale.

2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    While I love the guy he makes stupid mistakes for a vet every week. If it continues next year he has to go.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    He'll be Pro Bowl material and our goto guy in no time!!! :yes:

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Jackson? Who replaces him?

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Can he just play consistently well throughout the season? He's on fire at the end of the season but he starts so slow

6. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He had a solid start to the season, per game stats:
    Catches-Yards-TDs

1. 3-47-1 (CAR)
    2. 6-73-0 (@DEN)
    3. 3-74-0 (NYJ)
    4. 3-52-0 (@OAK)
    5. 2-56-0 (@MIA)
    6. 5-134-1 (NE)
    7. 4-42-1 (@BUF)
    8. 4-60-1 (@NO)
    9. BYE
    10. 5-83-0 (KC)
    11. 2-25-0 (@PIT)
    12. 2-57-1 (INDY)
    13. 0-0-0 (ATL)
    14. 5-148-1 (OAK)
    15. 6-89-1 (@KC)

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    he got better i'll give you that, just still don't think he's consistent enough

8. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Considering our teams performance this year, I think VJ has been one of the bright spots. I think he will improve if the whole team gets their act together.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's the dumb mistakes that keep bothering me. Admittedly, he's had a very good year in many aspects but, like bdh said, he makes some really bad decisions for a vet. Hopefully he works this out and/or finds the right level for his Ritalin. :unsure:

10. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Given how we played this season, I think VJ's done a great job. He hasn't been the only one on offense who has made some dumb mistakes, but I think he's more than made up for them with some of the catches he's made. Also, don't forget his blocking. He's made some nice blocks that got us some nice run yards.
    With Chambers, Floyd and VJ, we have a solid group of receivers. They are big play guys who'll go all out. I'd like to see some of our lesser known talent Nanee, Chandler, and yes, even Osgood play just to see what we have for back-ups.

11. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I have said this every week.........

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

12. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Our VJ is doing excellent.

I am a proud Adopted Pop. :icon_banana: :tup: :bolt: