1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson making impact without making catches

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Casey Pearce
    Posted Dec 3, 2009

Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson’s individual numbers have been down the last couple of weeks, but his presence has certainly been felt.

It would be easy for Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson[​IMG], who just four weeks ago ranked third in the NFL in receiving yards, to get a little frustrated about the way the last three games have gone on an individual level.
    But San Diego’s leader in touchdown receptions gets it. With his team on a six-game winning streak, Jackson is happy to fill his role, no matter what that might be.
    “It’s not about statistics,” Jackson said. “It’s about what I can do for this team. If it’s running off and drawing coverage or doing my job in the run game, I’ll do whatever I need to do. You’ve just got to keep doing your job no matter what the circumstances. That’s what being a professional is all about. ”
    In the first three games of the Chargers’ current winning streak, Jackson recorded 18 receptions for 303 yards and four touchdowns, including the game-winning score in the final minute at New York. In the last three weeks, he’s caught just seven balls for 93 yards and no touchdowns with a long of 23 yards during that span.
    Even though Jackson’s numbers are down, his impact remains high. He had one catch for 10 yards three weeks ago against the Eagles and two for 27 last week against Kansas City, and tight end Antonio Gates[​IMG] caught seven passes in each of those games.
    “That’s what’s going to happen over 16 games,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “Some people are going to look at it and say, ‘These guys have been getting the ball up the field. We’re not going to let them get the ball up the field,’ and then people start getting the ball underneath. Pretty soon they’re saying, ‘We can’t let Gates catch seven balls for 118 yards like he did last week.’ They do something to take him away and someone else gets opportunities.”
    While Gates has seen an increased number of opportunities the last few weeks, Jackson can point to numerous occasions when he’s been the beneficiary of the attention Gates has drawn underneath.
    “The safety used to come down all the time off of him and that opens it up for me behind him,” Jackson said. “His success is going to help us all and we’re going to help each other. That’s what team football is all about.”
    Like any big playmaker would, Jackson wouldn’t mind seeing more opportunities, but he’s also been a little flattered by the way opponents are starting to treat him.
    “I appreciate the respect I’ve received from defenses,” Jackson said. “I’ve had their best cornerback follow me pretty much all year and even some last year. A lot of times they’re still leaving the safety over the top and taking away the deep ball. We’re going to continue to work and hopefully move me around to different spots, find some one-on-one matchups and get creative about it. My time will come back around.”

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    VJ needs to be locked up, by the Bolt's not the SDPD. The more our passing game hurts defensive unit's the bigger the holes will get for LT. If this this bust's open heading into the PO's watch out.
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Aug 20, 2006
  4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2006
    What's funny is I still don't think we've plateaued yet or even peaked, I still believe we are only maybe 90% of our potential and that's as a unit. Wait for the line to come back HEALTHY. Wait for the running game to peak. Wait for our front seven to step up even more. Wait for the secondary to really pick it up. I say once we peak we'll definitely show the league what's what.
  5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    We'll get Hardwick back, but other than that we have who we are going to have, unless Runyan is still a real stud and merges with the team tout de suite. The running game depends on how the O Line does. The secondary is performing well already, with Oliver and Gregory stepping up as vets. Any improvement will come with the switch going on in Ellison's head. The D-Line is making the strides necessary to get this team over the hump. They are the fulcrum.