1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson, McNeill leave deals on table

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

2 Chargers holdouts may last till November

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010

By letting a deadline pass Monday night, Chargers offensive stars Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill forfeited more than $2.5 million each and signaled to the team that it will be without their services for a long time.

As in, see you around the holidays.

The Chargers have almost exactly three months until they open the season Sept. 13 in Kansas City, but with the clock striking midnight Monday without Jackson and McNeill under contract, the opener might as well be tomorrow as far as the two Pro Bowlers are concerned.

The players did not let their full one-year tenders get replaced with a fractional amount just to turn around and show up for training camp — or even for the first 2½ months of the season.

The Chargers have told the agents of the players what the players will receive for 2010, that the tender amounts will not be increased at a later date. The agents have told the team the players will not be reporting to Chargers Park for some time.

Barring a long-term agreement before then, sources familiar with the players’ thinking have said Jackson and McNeill are not likely to report until after the 10th week of the season (before the Chargers host Denver on Nov. 22).

A player needs to be on the roster for six weeks in order to earn an accrued season. That is important to the players in the event a new collective bargaining agreement does not revert to the four-year requirement for a player to become an unrestricted free agent. McNeill has four years of service, Jackson five.

Both were among 216 players (nine on the Chargers) who had their unrestricted status stayed when 2010 became an uncapped year as dictated by terms of the CBA.

This season is the last under the CBA negotiated in 2006, and there is the possibility owners will lock out players before the 2011 season if a new CBA is not agreed to by then.

By not signing last night, Jackson had his 2010 salary reduced to $583,000 from the tender amount of $3.268 million, and McNeill to $600,000 from the $3.168 million offer. If they do not report until after Week 10, Jackson will make approximately $206,000 and McNeill $212,000.

Sources said Jackson and McNeill have made financial preparations in the eventuality a lockout wipes out the 2011 season.

Neither player nor their agents desired to be quoted Monday.

There is the slight chance that a player could decide to accept the original tender today and his team could decide to not lower the tender. While the deadline for players to accept the original tender was last night, teams have through today to officially lower the tender.

The Chargers last week signed veteran left tackle Tra Thomas , who immediately began working with the first team. They also signed veteran receiver Josh Reed, who would not directly replace Jackson at the front of the receiving corps but would fill out the rotation.

Told that the Chargers would appear a much better team with Jackson and McNeill, head coach Norv Turner said last week, “Absolutely we are. You want all your best players. I don’t want to play without anybody. But we used 59 players last year, and we did some good things.”

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Idiots.

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Report: Chargers' Jackson, McNeill preparing for long holdout

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 15, 2010 10:42 AM ET

San Diego Chargers restricted free agents Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill are reportedly making financial preparations not only to sit out for the first 10 weeks of the 2010 season, but also to sit through all of 2011 without getting paid if the owners lock out the players.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Jackson and McNeill have made financial preparations in case a lockout wipes out the 2011 season.

Jackson and McNeill both declined to sign their one-year tender offers before midnight last night, which means both will have those offers reduced from more than $3 million to about $600,000. But if they both play only six weeks (which is the minimum needed to earn an accrued season toward unrestricted free agency), Jackson will make $206,000 and McNeill $212,000 in 2010.

Obviously, there are lots of people reading this who will make less than $212,000, total, in 2010 and 2011. So it doesn't exactly seem like a Herculean feat for Jackson and McNeill to make the financial preparations necessary to live on that much money for the next two years.

But when Jackson and McNeill have both turned up their noses at more than $3 million for 2010, living for the next two years on just over $200,000 seems like a stretch. In any event, it's wise for every NFL player to make financial preparations for the possibility of missing paychecks in 2011. On that front, Jackson and McNeill are apparently leading the way.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    does this mean that VJ will have to drink the cheap stuff? :icon_shrug:

I hop Tra has something left and that Buster is as good as Acee says he is

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Freakin crybaby millionaires.

6. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    It's going to be interesting to watch that UDFA tackle from TCU, dude looks like a beast, let's hope he develops into one

7. Boltzlover

Boltzlover BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    To me it looks like BJ and MM have declared that they are "me" players. It will not be easy, but they can both be replaced.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I would be very surprised if potentially, after two years out of the league that either one of them gets a long term deal for much more than 3 million.

:icon_evil:

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I must have missed that article. Or any writing of any kind that suggests he's any good at anything.

10. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    he continually says in his mailbag that he look great in practice, that he's healthy but he's just caught up in a numbers game

11. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    3M in this situation is fine cabbage. They should have banked it leading into a lock-out year.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Oh well time to move on.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I really believe mcneil and jackson are living in a fools paradise. They are believeing what their agents are telling them. Fools. They're gonna learn a big lesson in buisness the next two years without money coming in.

They're only way out of this mess now is to sign a fair long term contract with the chargers otherwise they'll be without a paycheck for these next two years.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    **** them both.

Lets trade a pick for Jared Gaither.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    It could get the the point where a.j. will have had enough and will tell them I'll trade you. But they'll have to sign their tenders to legalize the trade. But if Jackson and mcneil don't want to play for the year whats the use of having them on the team. And then next year will probably be a lockout/strike.

So get a possibly 2nd rounder for either or maybe more if were lucky. And have done with them.

16. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    you know, I can see the point of both sides. VJ and MM both want long term deals, that second deal that makes a guys career, and theyre kinda pissed that AJ isnt even coming to the table. AJ is looking at the CBA situation and trying to keep from screwing the team in the future... what pisses me off is that both sides dont nut up and come to a compromise in the interest of winning a ****ing superbowl!

17. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    What are you? .. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!?

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree with you on most of that.:yes: VJack and McNeil have made a pitance for their key contributions over the last few years. But they have to understand that they drew the short stick here, the NFL is facing a lockout, and there is no CBA in place long term. The only choice they have is too suck it up and play 1 more year, and pray they don't get hurt.

If the CBA is AJ's main concern, I'd offer them a 1 year contract at Sproles' money. They can cash in and become rich men, but we won't have to make any long term committment before the CBA is drawn up.

19. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I love listening to a bunch of "fans" who have no clue what they're talking about! :icon_rofl:

Not One Of You knows whats going on. :yes: All of us on these message boards can't do what these guys do. They're doing what they feel is best for them, just like we would do.

I've lost money over the years doing what I believe is right, for me. I've never crossed a picket line and it's cost me money!

Time to STFU.......:yes: And let these players do what they need to do! Quit being a bunch of whinny fans! :icon_tease:

20. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    At the end of the day its the fans that pay their damn wages and ensure that they have a job/career to go to!!!

So I think we have right to ask questions.

I SAY DROP THEM and let them fend for themselves

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hmmm... so your saying we shouldn't speculate and discuss issues with the Chargers because we don't really know whats going on behind the scenes.......what is the point of Bolttalk again?:huh:

22. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I'll be in Loge 46. Rooting for the Chargers. :icon_party:

23. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I don't give a rats a$$.

I gave my opinion. If you don't like it, don't respond! :yes:

:icon_rofl:

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the problem here is the players have now put themselves into a bad situation. Which I believe was set up by their idiot agents.

The best these players can hope for now is a 2nd contract at what the team will pay them. Otherwise they'll be unemployeed for two years.

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Sad I really wanted to hear that both or at least M Mac came to their senses and realized that the contract offered would put them up better in the case of -11 lockout.

Owell F em both now. Course they can still stay if they want to nut up and go get that damn championship before the $hit house goes up in 2011.

I have always said and beleive:
    Stupid people do stupid things.

26. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Did you ever think, maybe it's the players? :icon_shrug:

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    just a wild guess. But the players are taking the lousy advice of thier ever greedy agents.:yes:

28. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    So........
    You don't think it's maybe the player? :icon_shrug:

Have you seen anything that suggests their holdout is at the advise of their agents? I haven't.

29. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Anyone think Marcus McNeil's spinal stenosis may have something to do with this?

VJack I can understand why we wouldn't want to fork over the dough, but McNeil seems like an obvious keep. I'm wondering if AJ is concerned about the degeneration of McNeil's spine, and if he's really a long term guy.

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Interesting. That could be part of it, or AJ Smith might just think that he, even as a left tackle, is somewhat expendable. Though, I think the uncertainty of the next two seasons is a much more rational explanation.