1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jackson, McNeill receive letters

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Friday, August 13, 2010 at 2:48 p.m.

On the same day the Chargers welcomed back Shawne Merriman, it has been learned they have made an effort to spark movement with their other two restricted free agents -- with a typically heavy hand and with no promise of results.

League sources said Friday that Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill have received letters informing them of the Chargers' intentions to place them on the Roster Exempt List if they do not sign their tenders by Aug. 20.

A player on the Roster Exempt List is ineligible to play for three games following the day he signs. The Chargers used the tactic with tight end Antonio Gates to end his 2005 holdout.

That is unlikely to be the result with Jackson or McNeill, according to sources.

McNeill and Jackson have skipped the entire offseason and have not reported to camp. Unhappy with their contract status, sources close to the players maintain they are preparing to sit out the entire season.

However, there was the possibility one or both could report after the Chargers' 10th game and be on the roster for the six games required to earn an accrued season.

If they fail to sign by Aug. 20, which is virtually certain, and are placed on the list, McNeill and Jackson would have to report by Week 8 in order to get their six games and accrued season.

2. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    We need to just pay McNeill. Unlike VJack, he doesn't deserve to be treated like this.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The Chargers have one week to sign McNeil then, as far as I'm concerned. If he isn't signed by this deadline, the FAILURE is on the organization, end of line.

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I easily put all the blame on the agents. If they knew A.j. like we know A.j. they'd know he was never going to back down.

Mcniel and jackson both have bad agents is what this comes down to.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    I hated receiving letters home from school, nothing but trouble I tell you. Yeah, that's what my pop's would say.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Tell that to mcneils agent that created this mess.:yes:

7. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +185
    glad AJ ain't my boss... he plays hardball.

8. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I actually think you're right, but I also think the situation has changed dramatically and the Chargers need to wade through whatever crap (agents, egos, budgets) faces them and get McNeil signed. AJ Smith and co. played it right for a while but now the injuries are stacking up and they have no choice.

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers place more pressure on McNeill, Jackson

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2010 7:10 PM ET

For a team that has declared two of its key players "lost," it's sure doing a hell of a lot to try to find them.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Chargers have advised left tackle Marcus McNeill and receiver Vincent Jackson that, if they fail to report by August 20, they'll be placed on the roster-exempt list, which means that they'll be ineligible to play for three games after they sign their restricted free agency tenders -- if/when they sign them.

The move, as a practical matter, compels McNeill and Jackson to sign their restricted free agency tenders three weeks earlier that Week 10 in order to receive credit for 2010 and to become unrestricted free agents in 2011, depending on the new rules of the labor agreement.

And it means that they'll be involved in three weeks of practice before the first of their final six games, if they intend to hold out as long as they possibly can.

It's a smart tactic by the Chargers, even if it tends to expose the reality that G.M. A.J. Smith was simply blowing hot air when pronouncing his expectation that they players were gone for good. Then again, it's not like anyone believed him in the first place.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    what A.j. is doing is setting a precident on how he does buisness. He's actaully done this same straight shooting precident for years now. Which is why I have to think mcneils and jacksons agents aren't very good.

Now mcneil and jackson might not make a cent for two years because of the cba problems that will probably happen next year. Mcneil and Jackson in my opinon should fire their agents immediately and go on their knees to the chargers for a fair 1 year deal.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Im glad AJ plays hardball or we would be like Daniel Snyder and his Deadskins.....:no:

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Not really, it's a FAILURE for the agents of these 2 players, they're holding out to get more money, if they don't get the money then the agents have failed to do their job. This is money the players will never recoup, with the potential of it becoming worse if there's a lockout.

That's 2 seasons of your prime years where you get nothing. Doesn't sound very smart.

**** who knows what they even want, what if McNeil wants to be the highest paid OT, is he really worth it, we already know Jackson wants to be the highest paid WR. Look at the Revis situation, Revis wants to also be the highest paid at his position and the Jets are basically desperate to get him on the field.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    yada yada yada blah blah blah

Run what ya brung. :icon_toast:

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  15. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Typical group think ... the organization bears absolutely no responsibility for this disgraceful circumstance, none. It's the agent's fault for not realizing that if they didn't accept Smith's narrow parameters, he'd choose to humiliate rather than trade the player. That's a truly pathetic character trait Charger bots would have all interested parties assume. It matters not that had the owners not opted out of the current CBA, Vincent Jackson would've been free to sign with the team of his choosing. This of course is a circumstance that Smith most assuredly could've foreseen and is punishing players he would've otherwise had no rights to whatsoever. Only a classless organization would use such a fortuitous situation in such a spiteful manner.

No less disturbing is the fact that what Smith is doing doesn't serve anyone's interest, not least of all, the team's. Forcing Jackson into that uniform doesn't mean your #1 WR is back on the field. Again, how does this help the Chargers? Seems as though the Chargers have rejected offers to move Jackson. It's as if the Chargers don't want Jackson, but don't want him playing for somebody else either. Vincent Jackson has served his sentence in your fuq'd up institution, try manning up about it! I encourage the real Charger fans to contact the team and voice your concerns.

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I've asked this question twice before in this forum of other trolls-Are you a moron or an idiot? The reply will be most illuminating.

17. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_rofl: I was pondering on how to respond to him but I think you got it covered. :lol:

18. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Real Charger Fans - 0 , Charger bots who pack their pampers when confronted with the truth - 2

BoltsRule:

Interesting, you have such a lop-sided opinion and have no idea what either player wants. Wasn't it Smith's job to find out what McNeil's or Jackson's bottom line really was? Perhaps the window you should be most concerned about is that of the team's ultimate goal. Remember, this is a non-cap year. The Chargers could've had every player they released or is holding out! This team's window is right now, there's no salary cap and proven players are being humiliated. Only an idiot won't know where to look if this nonsense doesn't work.

19. Shumway

Shumway BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Would it have been humiliating for Jackson to play this season and been paid over $3mill to do so?

20. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Shumway:

While it could be argued that you are shaping the situation favorably, I'll note that I haven't taken issue with the team's original offer flatly rejected by Jackson's camp. Quite frankly it's irrelevant at this point, isn't it? It somehow justifies what the team is doing now? Hardly. If Jackson's market value is something closer to what Brandon Marshall received, then surely you can see that $3m grossly understates his worth. I'm curious, is it okay to treat Philip Rivers this way? It isn't for me to say what Jackson's number is, but the evidence (his proven ability, what the market is yielding and the interest he's producing) all point favorably toward his position. That's irrefutable. True, the Chargers don't have to offer him anything, but that's not the issue!

San Diego has no interest in Jackson, which is fine, but for god's sake LET THE MAN PLAY! Why is it so important to try to humiliate him? Many people here seem to share this bizarre notion that management can trash this guy, force him into that uniform, and by doing so, they're position is justified. Even more fuq'd up is Smith suggesting that when these guys are forced in, they'll help the team make it's stretch run. I personally wouldn't want Jackson or McNeil anywhere near the locker room if they didn't want to be there!

My understanding is that Jackson has more than met his obligation to the Chargers. Although Gates may be Rivers first read in his progression, then the check-down, Jackson has proven to be a key threat. And arguably, an under-compensated one. The front office is taking such an extreme position because they really don't hold any cards, 'cept the one we're seeing. With no cap to be concerned with, the better approach would've been to shop Jackson but maintain a fair offer. Management has been very fortunate the main media sources that cover the league have largely ignored this matter beyond the repeatedly narrow scope in which they have.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Your team really needs him, huh? :lol:

I'm really not taking sides on this, but one thing remains .... the Chargers hold the rights to VJ. While I personally believe that VJ is done in SD, we don't know that for sure & therefore can't jump to the conclusion that this is a humiliation tactic.

He'll play again - just not this year. Or possibly longer if he gets yet another DUI.

22. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Buck:

Who needs Vincent Jackson? We've got the magnificent Santana Moss! When we need someone to block he can run down the sideline. When we need someone to go over the middle into traffic, he can run down the sideline. When we need someone to elevate and compete for the football, he can run down the sideline. When we need someone to release clean and effectively execute a fade route, he can run out of the back of the endzone. It's really quite fascinating, you should check it out. :icon_rofl:

The rights to Jackson are conditional, which the Chargers hold under rather unusual circumstances. While the actions of AJ Smith are technically within the rules, I consider them unethical with no credible motive and contrary to the interests of the team. Forcing a player in and putting him on the field would most certainly compromise the integrity of the game.

23. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    How are you any different than the "Bolt bots" only difference is you're taking the side of the players. The players union agreed to the CBA, they knew the uncapped year was coming and was even looking forward to it. Jackson and McNeil should be upset with the union not with AJ, AJ didn't agree to the CBA. He is only using the rules to best benefit the team he works for, which is his job. How can you attack someone for doing their job?

VJ and McNeil weren't the only RFAs to be hurt by the uncapped year but they are 2 of the 3 that still hasn't signed, why did the others not have a problem with it? They didn't holdout until they got a contract extension. VJ and McNeil are the minority they just happen to be on the same team.

My previous statement is correct though, the agent's job is to do what is in the player's best interest. That was signing for the full (3+ Million) tender, instead they decided they'd force AJ's hand and it's backfired. They aren't going to get their clients more money, they actually have cost them money (more money than they've made in their entire rookie deal btw).

Every player would love to get more money, some just go about it in different ways. Gates learned his lesson early and it paid off in his 2nd contract. The team rewarded him for his loyalty and hard work.

BTW only an idiot (or a bandwagon fan) would think it was logical to sign every player because it was an uncapped year. Just because there isn't a cap doesn't mean there isn't a budget. Look at the Jets, they're desperate to re-sign Revis and they can't do it. Also you can't trade a player until he signs his tender, which neither player has done.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And I could give a flying fu.ck what you think about what this organization does. :icon_toast:

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Gates came to camp, practiced and performed and he has a contract. If their agents had their wit about them, VJ and MM could likely have gotten a bit more money for the year and McNeil, VJ and maybe even Merriman would have their contracts on the table for talks. If AJ hadn't thought he wanted to keep them, the tenders would not have been so high. Based on the performance of the team yesterday, it would appear that VJ has lost much of his leverage and McNeil's position is a bit weaker as well. If there is a lock out next season, neither of our two holdouts will ever recover the lost money. Merriman wised up and signed his tender. He's motivated to play for any number or reasons and one way or another, with one team or another, he will wind up with a nice pay day. The others are out in the cold and it would appear initially that we can win without them.

26. markrc99

markrc99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    BoltzRule:

I agree the team has a budget, but if it were you and you knew all these players could help your team get over the top, wouldn't this be the year you committed a little more? I know I would! The player signing the tender in order to move is a formality, not a prerequisite.

Buck:

Finding the truth too offensive for ya, is that it?

Retired:

I'd be leary to draw conclusions after 1 preseason game, 'cept the team's intensity. It's always a good sign when the team is ... well, rabid! So, Jackson did something to deserve this? What is it exactly? Silly me, he didn't sign... e; Like Boltz, your argument conveniently ignores the gap between Smith's offer and Jackson's market value. Tell me this, do you really think it's a good idea to force these guys back onto the team? You're uncertain what their mindset will be? e;

27. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    :icon_shrug:
    Do you not understand that there's limits on how much of a raise they can give (125% I believe?)

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    The club went by the present rules. The player's took the advice of their agents, we now get to wait till the first party flinches.

29. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Except you're missing the obvious problem, when you pay 1 guy then another wants to be paid, it sets a bad example that if you ***** and moan enough you'll get what you want.

This is a game of leverage, the only thing Jackson and McNeil can do is sit and hope the Chargers get desperate, if someone fills their void and they don't miss a beat then really they just wasted a year of their prime years, then what happens if there's a lock out, there goes another year you'll never get back.

And if the CBA is upheld if neither play for the Chargers they will still be RFA's for the team until they do, so all this and they get no where. Tell me how that is smart and how that benefits either player.

You keep harping on the team, but ignore the decisions that these players have made for themselves. They have no one to blame but for themselves. If they're fine with that, then so be it, it's their lives not mine.

You act like the Chargers are screwing them over or something, why haven't the Cowboys paid Austin what his market says he's worth he had no problem showing up to camp, or Jammal Brown, Braylon Edwards, Malcom Floyd etc. All in the same position as McNeil and Jackson, and yet they've shown up to camp and haven't whined about it.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just like the Donkeys did with Marshall, the Chargers could get VJ to sign his tender as a condition to get traded.