1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson proud to be at Pro Bowl

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted 4 hours ago
    1 - 28 - 2010

Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson’s best season of his five-year career was rewarded with a Pro Bowl invitation, and he’s proud to join the NFL’s best this week in Miami.

FORT LAUDERDALE, FLA. – Regardless of how or when the call came, Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson[​IMG] is simply thrilled that he received it.
    At the end of a year in which he posted career highs in receptions (68), yards (1,167) and touchdowns (9), Jackson was able to add “Pro Bowl player” to his resume.
    “It’s just nice to be put in that class, in that category of the best of the best,” Jackson said. “Obviously we work hard to be the best players we can be for our teams, but to be recognized around the league by your peers as one of the best players in the league at your position, it’s a big honor. Once it’s on your resume, it’s there forever.”
    Though his coaches and many members of the national media felt Jackson was worthy of being one of the four receivers initially named to the Pro Bowl last month, Jackson was an alternate and had to wait until early this week to get the invitation. But that doesn’t dampen the meaning or the experience for a man who averaged 17.2 yards per reception this season, second highest among players with at least 45 catches.
    “Obviously there was a bunch of talk about me being snubbed or whatever,” Jackson said. “That stuff is fine. Fans get to vote. Coaches and players, we all get our say in the process. Just to still be considered an alternate is great and now to be here is awesome. I’m really enjoying the experience.”
    When the Pro Bowl teams were initially announced, Jackson didn’t voice any displeasure at his status as an alternate, saying that he knows there are a lot of great players at his position around the league. Jackson isn’t the most outspoken player in the league, particularly at his position, and he says he doesn’t crave national attention.
    “I’m totally fine with it,” Jackson said. “I’m not one of the flashy receivers. I just come to work every day. I love what I do. If the attention goes to other guys, that’s fine with me.”
    Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner, who is leading the AFC squad this week, is pleased that Jackson’s hard work and high level of production this season were rewarded with a trip to the Pro Bowl. Turner believes that Jackson’s time in Miami will allow more fans and people around the NFL to see what a special player the big-play receiver is.
    “It’s great for Vincent to be here,” Turner said. “I think people get an appreciation for what Vincent is all about. He’s been impressive in the practices and he gets an opportunity to be around the best receivers in the league. He certainly fits that category.”
    For Jackson, this week isn’t just about receiving the title that his coaches say he was so deserving of; it’s also about getting to enjoy the company of the NFL’s best.
    “We obviously want to win the game, but it’s more about the experience,” Jackson said. “There’s a community to it. You build relationship and meet guys that you haven’t met before. There are a lot of stories being shared and camaraderie being built. It’s been a lot of fun.”
    Just a week and a half removed from the Chargers’ disappointing end to their season, Jackson hasn’t reflected much on the season he had in 2009.
    “Right now the bad taste of that loss is still in my mouth so I haven’t thought a lot about it,” Jackson said.
    But he’s grateful that his coaches have found ways to help him grow and that his teammates have helped put him in situations where he can use his immense talent to make an impact.
    “I think it’s just more development and more opportunities,” Jackson said of his production in 2009. “Our offensive coaches have continued to do a lot of creative things to get the mismatches we want. Teams have been doubling me the last couple years in certain situations, so when you’ve got guys like (Antonio) Gates and Malcom (Floyd) making big plays down the field, I just feel like I can continue to learn more about our offense and the different areas I can take advantages of defense. I feel like I’m getting better every year and doing things to help this team. Hopefully I can take that a step further next year and as a team we can take the next step.”

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    This is going to go over well with the locals. :lol:

3. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Glad he is being recognized,

• Like Like x 1