1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson-Revis: matchup to watch

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers.com

Casey Pearce
    Posted Jan 12, 2010

Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson will likely spend much of his afternoon Sunday lined up across from Jets Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson[​IMG] is aware of the track record Jets Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis laid for himself this season.
    Houston’s Andre Johnson, Carolina’s Steve Smith, Buffalo’s Terrell Owens, New England’s Randy Moss and Cincinnati’s Chad Ochocinco, all Pro Bowl wide receivers, received the “Revis Treatment” this season without much success.
    “For the most part they say, ‘Hey, it’s you one on one,’” Jackson said of the way the Jets have used their All Star cornerback this season. “He’s pretty much just on their best receiver, pressing him. He’s had some success against some of the best receivers in the league.”
    Jackson could be the next in line to be the center of Revis’ attention. This season, Jackson led the Chargers in receiving yards and touchdown catches while tying for second in the NFL with an average of 17.2 yards per reception. If he is given the opportunity to slug it out one-on-one with Revis, Jackson will embrace the challenge.
    “That’s why you play,” Jackson said.“You train to be the best; you play to be the best. Obviously right now he’s considered one of the top guys in the league. I’m looking forward to it.”
    Revis, a third-year pro out of Pittsburgh, earned Pro Bowl honors for the second-consecutive season this year. He intercepted six passes in the regular season and came away with another last week in New York’s win over the Bengals in the Wild Card round. Revis is considered by many to be the best in the NFL at his position.
    “As far as we’ve played this year and I’ve seen, he stacks right up there with the best of them,” quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] said. “He’s just very patient, for as much press as he plays he’s a very patient corner. Obviously you see when he gets his hands on the ball he catches it. That’s not always the case for those defensive backs, but if he gets his hands on it he usually come out with it.”
    Regardless of how the Jets play Jackson, the Chargers will be cautious of Revis but say that they won’t completely avoid his side of the field. In the regular-season opener, Jackson scored a touchdown against Raiders Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomaugh and the Chargers face Denver’s Champ Bailey twice a year. According the Rivers, the Chargers will be mindful of matchups, but with the likes of Jackson and Antonio Gates[​IMG], the matchups often favor the Chargers regardless of who is lining up against them.
    “You’re smart,” Rivers said. “You know where they’re best, and they know where we’re at our best and you’re smart with those guys and who you attack. We’re pretty confident with the guys we have sideline to sideline that we can go out and execute.”
    When asked about the matchup between he and Revis Monday, Jackson cautioned fans not to get too caught up in it. While Jackson, like every receiver, loves to be fed the ball, he knows he can help the Chargers be successful even if he’s not being targeted often. Twice this season, Jackson was held to two catches on afternoons that saw Antonio Gates go over 100 yards. Too much attention on Jackson could mean Gates, Malcom Floyd[​IMG], Legedu Naanee[​IMG] and others could receive beneficial looks from the defense.
    “I would love to have a great game against him,” Jackson said. “I might only get the ball thrown to me twice, but that’s okay. We’ve got Malcom, LA, Buster, Sproles, LT, Antonio. I’m not really focused on the 1-on-1 matchups. I just want to do whatever is necessary for us to be successful as a team.”

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    that's what makes the team so dangerous. Lito Sheppard has to hold up against Floyd one on one and even then there's Naane, Gates, Sproles, etc. Revis might very well lock down Jackson (and ironically I'd almost tell Jackson to run 40 yd go routes all day to take him and the safety) but how will the rest of their defense match up?

And Revis is talented, no question about it. But we play two equally good CBs that everyone was drooling over twice a year (Asamougha & Bailey), and we beat them regularly too.

3. ChargersBKK

ChargersBKK BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Floyd will be the go-to guy. Go SuperBolts.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Yeah, that is what has me scratching my head. VJ gets Asomugha all the time and is fine. Revis may be good, but cmon... no corner shuts everyone down every time.

5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Revis has this year.

Hopefully that changes on Sunday, though.

If anyone can do it VJ can. :abq2:

If not, Floyd, Naanee, Gates, and Sproles will have a big day. :abq2:

6. ChargersNguyen

ChargersNguyen BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Ok lock this guy up now!

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Revis ain't played against the air,Gillman, Coryell, Turner passing tree system yet. He'll be turned inside out, his head will be spinning. Even the guy's that see it regular twice a year still shake their heads in disbelief.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    the one exception i'll say to that is that the Jets have faced very wide open offenses; the Patriots and the Saints specifically. Didn't turn out so good for them if i remember correctly

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    No team has shut it down yet, and I don't see it happening this Sunday.