1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson seeks his own NFL success

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jun 26, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    gotta love this guy just because of his dad!!!

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/jackson-seeks-his.htm

He’s caught passes from Brett Favre and Dan Marino, wrestled with Reggie White and Seth Joiner and even been on the field for a Lombardi Trophy presentation, yet Chargers defensive tackle Keith Jackson is still anxiously waiting his first opportunity to play in a regular season NFL game.

“I’ve been blessed to get some of the opportunities I’ve had,” said Jackson. “I’ve worked really hard to create some memories of my own on the field. Now it’s time to give it everything I’ve got and make that happen.”

Jackson’s name should be a familiar one to football fans. His father Keith Jackson, Sr., went to five Pro Bowls as a member of the Eagles, Dolphins and Packers. The younger Jackson had a several unique experiences as a child, none more special than when the Packers won the Super Bowl in New Orleans following the 1996 season.

“I was in the stands, right there at the bottom and my dad came and got me, picked me up and put me on his shoulders,” Jackson recalls. “We were running around on the field with confetti flying everywhere. That was one of the greatest experiences of my life. It motivated me to work hard so I could win one some day.”

The younger Jackson grew up around the game and was heavily influenced by some of the NFL’s biggest stars, particularly White, who steered the younger Jackson away from the tight end position that his father played.

“Reggie actually motivated me to play defensive line,” Keith Jackson said. “I liked being physical and there was more contact for me on the defensive side of the ball. Reggie told me I should be like him. I’ve been a defensive tackle ever since.”

Jackson took to the position so well that following a standout career at the University of Arkansas, he was selected by the St. Louis Rams in the seventh round of the 2007 NFL Draft.

After a strong preseason last summer, Jackson earned a spot on the Rams’ practice squad, but just a few weeks into the season he was in search of a new home.

“I felt like I had a good camp and was playing well,” Jackson said. “Then Orlando Pace and (Richie) Incognito got hurt and they to bring in a bunch of offensive linemen. It came down to a numbers deal. They didn’t really want to release me but they had to.”

In November, he landed a spot on the Chargers practice squad where he impressed coaches enough that the club invited Jackson back this spring. Jackson believes San Diego provides another special opportunity for him.

“I grew up watching Jamal Williams and Warren Sapp,” Jackson said. “They were the two best. Now I get to watch Jamal in practice every day and learn from him. My style is like his. We’re both shorter tackles who play with leverage and quickness. I watch him and try to do everything like he does.”

As he did when he was around White, Jackson is careful to listen when Williams speaks, and Jackson has benefited greatly from Williams’ words.

“He’s encouraged me,” Jackson said. “Towards the end of the year last year he told me that if I worked hard I can make it. That’s pushed me.”

As his second NFL training camp approaches, Jackson has devoted himself to preparing himself physically as he battles for a spot on the Chargers’ roster. That work hasn’t gone unnoticed.

“I think he’s improved his body,” said Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner, who once coached Keith, Sr. in the Pro Bowl. “He’s stronger and quicker. He’s worked real hard to give himself a chance to compete for a job.”

Jackson remains extremely close to his famous father. The two speak roughly three times a week. Jackson credits his father with teaching him to treat people right and approach the game with the proper mindset.

“I’m going to play hard every down,” Jackson said. “I know my plays. I know my assignments. It’s going to be a good camp for me. Hopefully everything works out.”

2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We're in need of quality depth on the D-line. If the guy plays hard and can have an impact on special teams, he has a shot.

4. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    i think someone allready started a thread about this guy/artical

edi:

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13769

mods can u please move this