1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson's blossoming has some hopeful Davis can do likewise

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BFISA, Oct 19, 2008.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/oct/17/chargers-notes-jackson-blossoming-davis/?chargers

By Kevin Acee and Bill Center

Friday, October 17, 2008

Vincent Jackson is the player many inside the Chargers organization hold up as an example of what kind of strides Buster Davis could make in the next year or so.

It wasn't that long ago that Jackson couldn't get on the field, his first season and a half limited by nagging injuries and inconsistency.

But the latter part of his second year saw improvement, and his third season, in 2007, saw him make the kind of jump where potential becomes reality with 41 receptions for 623 yards.

He has 22 catches for 436 yards through six games this season, and appears on the verge of stardom.

He is third in the league with a 19.8-yard average per catch. He's tied for fourth with five catches of 25 yards or more. Moreover, Jackson has caught 22 of the 40 passes (55 percent) on which he has been the target. That's 17th among those targeted 40 or more times. No other receiver with more than 20 receptions has that high an average or completion percentage.

“He's just continued to get better every year,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “He just has become more consistent.”

It didn't happen overnight. After being drafted in the second round by the Chargers in 2005, Jackson had three catches his rookie season, in which he was active just eight times. He had just nine receptions through nine games in '06.

“It's a totally different confidence level,” Jackson said this week, a few days after his career-high 134 yards on five receptions against the Patriots. “I don't feel like there's anything I can't do on the field right now I've had two years as a starter now. Sometimes, that's what it takes.”

THREE DOUBTFUL

Wide receivers Chris Chambers (ankle) and Davis (groin) and linebacker Jyles Tucker (hamstring) did not participate in practice yesterday and were listed as doubtful for tomorrow's game in Buffalo.

Tucker did work on the side.

“He's close,” coach Norv Turner said of Tucker. “But it would be hard for him to play this week given the amount of time he's missed. We'll see Sunday.”

Running back Darren Sproles and fullback Mike Tolbert saw limited participation yesterday and were listed as probable for tomorrow.

“I'm fine,” said Sproles of the ankle injury he suffered on a second-quarter punt return Sunday night.

“It scared me a bit more than anything. It was the same type of hit and at first the same thing I felt when I broke my ankle on a punt return in 2006. Everything last week was a lot like that injury, the way my foot was planted and where the weight was on my body.”

OSGOOD IS GOOD

Turner said yesterday that Kassim Osgood is ready as the back-up at all three receiving positions if Chambers and Davis both can't go tomorrow.

“I'd back up for (Antonio) Gates, too, if I had another 20 pounds,” joked Osgood, who didn't play a down on offense last week although the Chargers were also without Chambers and Davis against the Patriots.

“Jackson and (Malcom) Floyd were on a roll,” Osgood said. “Pretty hard to top what they were doing.

“But I've been in this offense for six years now. I know what is required of the three assignments and they're pretty much interchangeable. I'm ready.”

Turner wouldn't say whether Chambers or Davis was closer to being ready. If neither can go, Floyd would open in Chambers' spot with Legedu Naanee subbing for Davis as the third receiver.

NUTS 'N' BOLTS

-- Bills cornerback Terrence McGee (knee) will miss his second straight game Sunday. tomorrow. Rookie Leodis McKelvin will start in his place. Buffalo listed Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Schobel (foot), who did not practice all week, as questionable.

-- Each Charger packed two bags yesterday, one to be used for the weekend stop in Buffalo and a second bag that will go directly to London for next week's game with the Saints.

-- According to weather.com, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny in Buffalo with a high of 57 degrees and winds at less than 10 mph.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    FWIW, I don't believe Buster's a bust, but he does hafta stay on the field. I recall many were calling VJ a bust cuz early on he appeared to be injury-prone.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm not labeling him a bust yet, either, but he had a rap coming out of college about not playing through injuries & he isn't doing much to shed that image yet. He's got to nut up & show that he was worth a 1st rounder or he'll be hitting the market.

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    ok but the dude is made of glass.....:unsure:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That's what some said of VJ in his second year.

6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Then I sure hope that they use whatever tempering process that fixed VJ's brittleness on Buster.

And I think I was actually saying VJ had a chronic yeast infection in his 2nd year but close enough:lol:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The difference with jackson is at least in his second year he started to step up and show himself to be a damn good receiver at a time when McCardell and Parker were fading. Here Buster didn't impress his rookie year (though he always seemed to have one or two semi important catches) but he hasn't been able to get on the field at all lately.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The timeline for receivers is that three years. Davis is definitely underperforming right now. If he is underperforming at this time next season, then we will have better use for the roster spot and if that IS the situation, his trade value will not be a whole lot to write home about.