1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jackson's DUI case on hold for now

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Chargers.com
    By Brent Schrotenboer
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009

SAN DIEGO – In June, Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson tried to have a judge throw out blood-alcohol evidence against him stemming from his arrest on a drunken-driving charge Jan. 6. San Diego Superior Court Judge Cynthia Bashant rejected that request, leading Jackson to appeal her ruling in July.

Jackson's appeal attempt delayed the case until recently, when the appeal attempt was dismissed as being “premature.”
    Now Jackson is back to square one in court. He can choose to plead guilty to a charge or head toward trial. Either way, his attorney, Cole Casey, said Jackson won't have to deal with it until after the Chargers season.

“I'm just going to continue it until after the season is over,” Casey said. “Then we'll decide from a legal standpoint what to do from there.”
    The substance of Jackson's appeal was not heard. Instead it was ruled that he could not bring such an appeal until after the case was resolved. If he's convicted, he then can make his appeal and try to have the conviction overturned.

Jackson's blood-alcohol content measured 0.17 percent, more than double the state limit of 0.08. At the time, Jackson was on five years' probation for a 2006 drunken-driving conviction in San Diego.

Casey tried to have the evidence suppressed on the basis Jackson was forced to have his blood drawn against his will after repeatedly requesting a breath test instead, as was his right. But the breath machine didn't immediately accept his sample, and Jackson moved slowly while removing personal items to be inventoried, according to the testimony of a California Highway Patrol officer.

As a result, the officer considered Jackson to be refusing the breath test. His blood then was drawn from his arm while his arms were handcuffed behind a chair.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I certainly don't control Jackson's behavior at all. Although I'm certain that many of us here have driven when you shouldn't have due to alcohol consumption, it is reckless & irresponsible.

I feel certain that this will be used as a negotiation tool for VJ's next contract. I only hope that A) VJ recognizes his issues & corrects them & B) that this doesn't cause the FO to neglect getting him signed to a long-term deal.

Call a cab, folks. :tup:

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    This just came to me but Jackson now has leverage over the club. We released Chambers and now we have to re-sign VJ. AJ should have waited to release Chambers until we had VJ locked in. What if VJ just walks? Franchise him? :icon_shrug:

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    With the propensity of DUI arrests league-wide, I'm wondering why each NFL club doesn't just spend $500K a year on 5 cars and 5 drivers to chauffer these guys around.

Then tell them to call up these franchise-owned chauffers to take them to places, especially home from bars and restaurants if they need.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Or it could be that AJ may have something already worked out and just hasn't announced anything yet.

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    if VJ doesn't sign and extension franchise-tag him

is he, now, the second best player on the team or at least the second most important building block for the future of this team?

7. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    That's exacty what they need to do do. Spanos is to cheap and narrow minded for that.

8. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Even if the team does that, it doesn't mean the players will use it. Especially those that don't want the team knowing that they were partying that night or for whatever other reason. They don't use a cab and it's not like they don't have the money for it. The team can't control the actions of these men, they're all adults they should know better.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Every owner is this way.

The two richest clubs, Cowboys and Redskins, don't do this, and they are rolling in money.