1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jags moving to L.A.?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by reg, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Move them out of hurricane ally?

I wonder which fault line they will build the proposed LA Stadium over? :rolleyes2:

2. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I wonder how that would affect a possible Charger move to LA?

It seems a shame because I have been there and Alltell stadium in Jacksonville is very nice. If we could get a similar stadium here, I would be very happy.

That brings up a good question. How can Jacksonville, a city in the south with modest economy afford a nice stadium and San Diego city/county cannot?

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm not familiar enough with the financial background of the construction to answer, but the financial picture for both Municpalities and States was far rosier when that place was built. Now, there are deficits almost everywhere.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    please G-d move the damn Jaguars over to LA so the Chargers can stay in SD

5. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I should think that if the Jaguars moved to LA, it would make it more likely for the Chargers to leave the state. If the Jaguars were in LA, the NFL could let the Chargers move without abandoning southern California.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hate to hear of anybody losing their team but it's better them than us. If the owner is putting them up for sale, it makes more sense.

I was also thinking the Raiders since their lease expires in 2010 and don't know how much longer Al can hang in there.

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Move 'em to West LA and you'll only have to change the "J" to an "F"

[​IMG]

Los Angeles Faguars[​IMG]

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    No the sooner the gap fills in LA the sooner the Chargers start negotiating with cities like Las Vegas and San Antonio.:tdown:

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Why would Spanos want to move his team to SA? plus Jerry Jones will try to block it, and the NFL doesn't want a team in Vegas.

IMO the only realistic possibility outside of San Diego is LA/Anaheim.

10. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    I live in Jacksonville and I would love to see the team go..As for the question regarding how J-ville can afford such a nice stadium it holds the Flordia-Georgia game every year, a FSU game and the Gator Bowl and at all of those games they uncover the 15000 seats that are blocked off foe jags games.

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The Jags not being able to sell out will be a major factor if they end up moving. They're a great team yet they still have cover seats to get a "sell out"

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

There are numerous reasons as to why the Chargers could move to San Antonio, maybe the biggest being that the taxpayers in San Antonio would be willing to help fund a new stadium.

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I hope the Jags move to LA, Jacksonville is one of the smallest markets out there. Even with their decent size stadium they are unable to sell our, or even approach sell out. Hell even with covered seats and a great season they have trouble selling out.

The market, Jacksonville, is just too small for a team.

As for the comment about Hurricane VS Earthquake country. California had its last major earthquake around 10 years ago. Florida has a hurricane every year, many times more than one with the number and strength increasing. Furthermore you can fit a stadium to be earthquake proof. Hurricane proofing is another matter and it can never be 100% resistant.

California needs a team in LA.

Jacksonville
    Buffalo
    Rams
    All have the biggest chances, much greater than San Diego which is a bigger market than all of these areas.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Jerry Jones couldnt stop the Texans moving in, why should he have any say in the matter?

And I agree Las Vegas is an accident waiting to happen, it is a HORRIBLE spot for pro sports and for more than just a few reasons.

15. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Alltel Stadium is the old Gator Bowl Stadium, which was retrofitted when Jacksonville won the expansion lottery over St. Louis, Memphis, and Baltimore in an upset years and years ago. They didn't start construction from scratch, so that had a bearing on how they got it built without gutting the budget.

In Jacksonville's defense (and there isn't a team in the league I love disappointing more than J'Ville), the size of their stadium works against them big time. Without the tarps, that place seats about 85,000, which makes it the 2nd largest stadium in the league. Even with the tarps, they average about 68,000....which is probably slightly above average for an NFL team, and more than 10-12 stadiums even hold. And it really is pretty good, considering Jacksonville is the league's second smallest market.

Fact of the matter is that Jacksonville is a better market than Buffalo is, so I really think how the Toronto experiment plays out will truly tell what franchise is in play for Los Angeles. In the meanwhile, ya'll need to HURRY UP and get a stadium built.

I don't wanna see you guys get burned.