1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jags sign Garrard to 7 year, 60 million

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltjolt, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Wow, after one year as a fulltime starter. We better resign Rivers soon

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-jaguars-garrard&prov=ap&type=lgns

Jaguars QB David Garrard signs richest contract in franchise history

5 hours, 2 minutes ago

Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback David Garrard throws a touchdown pass ahead of the defensive pressure from New England Patriots' Richard Seymour (93) in the first quarter of a NFL divisional playoff football game in Foxborough, Mass., in this Jan. 12, 2008 file photo. Garrard has signed a contract extension with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Terms of Monday's April 7, 2008 deal were not released.
    Jacksonville Jaguars quarterba…
    AP - Apr 7, 11:52 am EDT

* NFL Gallery

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP)—Quarterback David Garrard probably could have gotten the Jacksonville Jaguars to pay him more money.

But he was tired of negotiating.

So Garrard ended the contract process Monday, signing a seven-year, $60 million contract that is the richest in franchise history.

“I pretty much had to say, ‘Let’s go ahead and wrap it up. I’m done,”’ Garrard said. “It’s too much stress on me and my family. My wife was done five weeks ago. She’s already been on board with everything. We just kept working on it and I finally just said, ‘You know what, I’d rather be happy now, have the city happy now, have the team, the organization, the owner happy now than trying to string something out having everybody on edge.”

Garrard and his agent, Albert Irby, had been seeking something similar to the six-year, $67.5 million contract Dallas quarterback Tony Romo signed last season.

But Garrard settled for the latest offer because he “felt like it was time.”

“I’ve just seen it too many times,” he said. “I just didn’t want to go through it myself. There’s way too many things that can happen to you between here and now and when you’re trying to get this done and that done. Is it really worth it? I just said, ‘It’s time to make everybody happy because I was already happy.”’

A career backup who beat out Byron Leftwich last preseason, Garrard was entering the final year of a four-year deal that paid about $2 million annually.

The Jaguars were eager to get him under contract after his first season as a starter.

The 30-year-old Garrard completed 64 percent of his passes for 2,509 yards and 18 touchdowns despite missing three games because of an ankle injury. He threw just three interceptions and finished with the NFL’s third-highest passer rating (102.2), proving coach Jack Del Rio made the right move when he announced his quarterback decision a week before the season opener.

“When you look at what transpired and how David responded, I think that’s what’s most impressive,” Del Rio said. “A lot of people may have gotten down, gotten down on themselves, gotten bitter at me for the decision. Any number of things could have taken place that would have led to a different outcome.

“What you see is a young man that persevered, ultimately a coach that saw something, took a shot with him, and now we’re together here for the foreseeable future here in Jacksonville, and tied together and hungry for more.”

The Jaguars expect Garrard to be even better this season, with the addition of receivers Jerry Porter and Troy Williamson and another year in Dirk Koetter’s offense.

“To have David lead this team for the next seven years, it really gives us the stability and the continuity that we need to compete at the highest level and bring a championship to Jacksonville and hopefully multiple championships,” owner Wayne Weaver said. “David has earned this.”

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    his ranks below rothlesburger but yeah i'd put this as a lower end offer for philip

so somewhere right now between 60-102

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I'm expecting Philip to get somewhere between 9-12 mil a year for 6-7 years.

4. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Are you being sarcastic,Garrard is a Really good game manger.Rivers is just feeding off L.T in a really Great TE.Not to knock Rivers game but he doesn't deserve a 7 year 60 mill Contract.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Normally I'd take this as an insult from a donks fan, but if Rivers agreed to a contract lower than that I'd be ok with it :tup:

6. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Why would you want Rivers?I'm confused :icon_huh:

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Because he's better than Cutler. :bolt:

8. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    All Homer aside when Plummer was a Bronco,I wanted him out and I didn't care what move the Front Office would do.As long as they get us a QB that can do Above Average work in the NFL.

After the AFC Chip it only took Shanny one look to see Plummer can't get it done in the big game.How many looks do you guys want?I leave that up to you.

I'm not gonna say anything else about "Rivers" Because it's off topic

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

well since its going to be four years or so til y'all sniff the playoffs, i guess no comparison can be made :icon_tease:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm going to guess about 10.5. Could hit 11 if he gets us a Lombardi. Upside to having fewer draft choices this year is we're going to have plenty of cap room for long term contracts with key players.

11. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

Rivers is better than Cutler. :yes:

Just thought I'd point that out. Oh, and the Broncos SUCK. :lol:

12. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Cutler can't get it done either. I'd rather have Plummer, you went to the Championship game with Plummer, you're sucking *** with Cutler. :yes:

Good luck fighting it out with KC for last place, the Raiders will win more than you this year.:yes:

13. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This donk guy is just talking nonsense....trying to start sh**. Rivers will get an amount that he deserves and AJ will make sure of that.

14. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I'm not sure why donk fans persist in this delusion that Rivers can't do it without LT, so lets look at the numbers.

In the Chargers Indy PLAYOFF game this year, here are Rivers numbers:

Comp/Att Yards TD Int QBR
    14/19------264--3--1--151.4

This was only through 3 quarters of play as Rivers tore his ACL late in the 3rd quarter.

Had Rivers played all 4 quarters he could have easily had over 350 yards passing and a higher QBR than Peyton Manning.

Rivers upped his game in the playoffs. You probably missed the Chargers Indy game because you were painting your house or something. But you missed a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Not to mention that Gates had a severely injured toe, and only had one catch the entire game.

When Cutler can play, and WIN, a playoff game against a HOF QB and HOF coach at the top of their game, without his #1 receiver and running back, all while having two bum knees, you let me know.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :icon_rofl:

Keep hating Donk fans. I guess the fact that both Jackson and Chambers had over 300 yards each in the playoffs has nothing to do with Rivers? :icon_shrug: :icon_huh: Keep in mind this was without a healthy Gates and LT didn't do **** in the playoffs.

4-0 against the Broncos and pretty much the same Broncos that constantly shut Brees down WITH both Gates and LT.

Fuggin pisspipes....... :lol:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree that Garrard is a good game manager and I think that was a good signing for the Jags but to say River's doesn't deserve anything like that is stupid.

25-7
    1 Pro Bowl
    4 Play Off Appearances
    2 Play Off Wins
    This is ALL in two seasons!!
    The problem you have with Rivers is the same problem Retard fans have with him... HE KICKS YOUR ***!!!
    In two years, he's 4-0 against your Donkos and the Retards!!! So go join the Bleak & Shiver is a tear fest!!!

18. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok so Rivers did all of that by himself Then i guess he deserve a Contract like Garrard there ya go you prove me wrong.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Garrard has Taylor and Drew-Jones.
    DONE!!!!

20. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    :clap:

21. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    You still haven't answered our previous points about LT being out and Gates being severely limited during the playoffs.

Besides, your whole argument has a flawed premise from the get-go. It's impossible to separate great QBs from their receivers. How much of the 49ers was Joe Montana and how much was Jerry Rice, et al? How much of the Colts is Peyton Manning, and how much is Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, and Dallas Clark? How much of the Pats this last year was Brady, and how much Was Moss and Welker?

See? You can't separate it.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    And Elway was just feeding off Terrell Davis and Shannon Sharp. Not to knock Elway's game but he doesn't deserve any credit for those two Super Bowl victories.

23. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I know i can't answer it Rivers is the man there ya go enough said.

24. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Yup you guys should become Sports Writers i finally see the light.

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm just using your stupid analogy!!!
    Like I said "your problem with Rivers is that he kicks your Donkos ***!!!"

4-0. Not to mention, we outscored your sorry asses 64-6 last season!!!
    OUCH!!!! I'd hate us too!!! :lol:

26. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Hate is a very powerful word my man i hate no one.:yes:

27. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Wrong you got hit in the face with a bunch of facts that you don't like just like you have no comment on Cutler grabbing his crotch at the Chargers sideline.

You're the one made for ESPN Broncos fan. :yes:

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    :lol: :lol:

29. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    You don't have to hate anyone to make dumb comments. Rivers will command a contract upwards of what Garrard got barring a major injury (not including the one he played through). He is viewed as the franchise QB by one of the best GM's in the league... and the going rate for franchise QB's is greater than what Garrard got. Regardless of what you think about his game, he has an unbelievable record as a starter and has the respect of his teammates.

30. BrOnCoS/32/33

BrOnCoS/32/33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Ok then he deserve a Garrard type contract there ya go.Good Luck