1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jalen Ramsey or Vernon Hargreaves

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JohnnyX, Dec 15, 2015.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Which one would be better suited opposite of Verrett on the outside?

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Tough call, but I'm leaning heavily toward Hargreaves.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    If the Broncos can have three good corners. We can at least have to two great ones. If Bosa isn't there and we trade back a few spots a Hargreaves/Verrett duo would be a good look.

4. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Hargreaves he's a shutdown.

5. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Hargreaves. But I'll be furious if we don't go line in the first round

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Ramsey. Without question, hands down. Hargreaves is a 1 trick pony. A lock down corner. Also a guy looks a as if his ceiling isn't much higher than where he is now. I'll take the kid who has a million times more versatility, length, better athleticsm, and has the potential to be moved just about anywhere on the field.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I think Ramsey is the better player of the 2, but if you're talking about a pure CB to play the other side of Verrett then Hargreaves would be a nice fit. That being said, Ramsey could become an elite safety prospect too.

8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Ramsey is way more athletic, but hargreaves looks like how Haden did at Florida. And if he turns into the type of plays how Haden is. Our secondary would be lockdown for years. Ramsey has more potential but a bigger bust factor

9. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    So Jalen Ramsey is more the next Earl Thomas/Eric Berry than a Revis/Sherman?

I'm all in for that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    I think this conversation may have gotten more relevant after that win yesterday. I believe we are now currently 5th in the draft order. If we stay there, I think Tunsil and Stanley will be gone and probably Bosa. We won't touch Nkemdiche. I think Ramsey and Hargreaves start to come into play at that point. I'll throw another name out there, A'Shawn Robinson. I really like this kid and think his stock is going to continue to soar as the draft gets closer

11. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    After the win this convo has definitely became a hotter topic now "unless they tank the combine, or blow it up to where neither and or one is just there". But robinson i wouldnt touch, he's not dominant enough to be a top 5 pick. He's not gonna jump start the line by himself. If we stay at our position we should take hargreaves, if we trade back, idk theres alot of players id want.

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +943
    I'll agree with you on that. Ramsey has a higher ceiling. But, I think he's another Eric Berry. Athleticism and length doesn't really matter to me. We are taking the best player at their position, and right now we don't know Ramsey's best position. One thing is guaranteed when taking Hargreaves, he will be that shut down corner.

I really like Ramsey too, he's been one of my favorite college football players since coming in as a true freshman in 2013 and becoming a highlight reel. But, look at some of the players he played with that have been drafted into the NFL. He has been a part of a great defensive unit over the last few years and I'm not discrediting him, just pointing that out.

13. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Cmon man. You and I both know their is no "guarantee" when it comes to any player in their position. Just because he is a lock down corner in college does not mean he will be in the NFL. Now on the other hand I do believe that Hargreaves is a shut down corner. However, we already have a shut down corner to lock down a teams #1 in Verrett.

If we did not have Verrett, the unknown on Weddle, and emergence of Patrick Robinson I would say Hargreaves. But right now in my personal opinion I would take a guy that has elite potential at multiple positions over a guy who is just a corner. It allows us to move him all over the field creating mismatches thus making our defense that much stronger.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Hargreaves has the best technique I've seen in all of college football. At the corner position, you don't have to be overly athletic, its much more footwork, technique and both mental and physical toughness. Hargreaves exhibits all that in his play. He has the potential to be among the league's best, and I try to avoid hyping up prospects like this, but Hargreaves is an exciting, young football player.

Again, Ramsey is a tougher player to evaluate. It all depends on the coaching staff we have to help develop him and put him in the best positions to make plays. I'm not saying he won't be a good player, its more of a risk on Ramsey than it is on Hargreaves. With the latter, we know what he can do, and if you're spending a top-5 pick, you want it to be a sure thing.

I'm glad we have Verrett, but having Hargreaves could make an average pass rush a very good one. If Brandon Flowers continues this 'decline' and we don't re-sign Patrick Robinson after this year, we're looking at Verrett, a declining Flowers and Steve Williams as our corners. And to be honest, I like the way Williams has played, but he is not a starter, yet.

15. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    You guys are also neglecting the fact that this front office just spent a 3rd on Craig Mager this past draft. That leaves Verrett, Flowers (expensive new contract), Mager (high round selection), Steve Williams (years in the system) and possibly Patrick Robinson. Not sure CB is where we would go, unless maybe Flowers moved to safety?

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Someone is moving to safety. It looks as if that was planned out last year and why we neglected Weddle. It's either Mager or Flowers.

But, I don't get it. Why are people saying we are all set at CB? In this league, there's no such thing as having too many good DBs.

So if we don't resign Robinson for 2016, Flowers continues his decline in 2016 and Mager moves to safety or struggles to catch on still, CB becomes a need again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +112
    Anybody see Hargreaves bite on the fake by Chessun in the Mich/Fla game? Gave up an easy td

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    yeah it was surprising but not unlike him. honestly if you put the tape on just CB play Mackensie Alexander from clemson is the best one in man. he hasnt allowed one td all season and in his career has only given up 3 plays of 20 yards or more. so my ranking for cbs now are.
    1.alexander
    2.hargreaves
    3.ramsey

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +943
    Lol

Hargreaves is still the best corner in this draft. 1 game does not define a player.

20. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i dont think thats his point, i think he's pointing out hargreaves does have a weakness. Im guilty of coming off when i talk about him like he doesnt have a weakness, as do other people without realizing it. but i highly recommend you go watch mackensie alexander from clemson. imo hes the best man corner in his 2 year starting career he's only let up 3 plays of 20 yards or more. check out his youtube stuff or go watch last night game. he's really impressive

21. Lawyers guns & money

Lawyers guns & money BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +112
    How bout one play?

22. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Didn't Hargreaves get absolutely ruined by Amari Cooper last year? 200 yards and 3 TDs or something like that.

23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Sad thing is, Chesson is nothing even remotely close to Amari Cooper.