1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jamal Williams a possible Bronco?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Hot-ish off the twitter wire...

"@michaelombardi DT Jamal Williams of formerly of San Diego is expected to be in Denver today to take a physical"

:no: don't do it Jamal, don't become a Donkey, you're better than that!

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    can we get Dielman to "land" on his ankle? :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Will his new teammates cheap shot him during practice just from force of habit?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    sounds like a done deal now - supposedly he was "ready to move on" from San Diego... interesting...

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    good one.

I wonder how much they're paying him. He's literally on his last legs. I feel sorry for him more than disgust for now playing for the donks. He must need the money bad.

6. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Tony Brown from the Titans may be a good stopgap here--he was admirable last year in the place of Haynesworth and was a bright spot on a diminished defense.

7. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I was hoping that Jamal was going to go out and find out what he was worth and then come back to SD and finish his career here. Sure does not seem like that will happen. It looks like he will soon be a Bronco. I just hope he gets good $$$$ because he sure deserves it.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Business is business.

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Saints hosting Jamal Williams, too

Posted by Mike Florio on March 8, 2010 4:15 PM ET

The New Orleans Saints apparently are in the market for a few old men.

35-year-old defensive end Leonard Little will visit this week. Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that 33-year-old defensive tackle Jamal Williams will be visiting the Saints, too.

Williams, who has spent 12 years in San Diego, has been a 3-4 nose tackle. In New Orleans, he'd become a defensive tackle in the team's 4-3 approach.

The Chargers cut Williams last week. He missed most of the 2009 season due to injury.

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'm not sure he has anything left. NT is the single most important position in the 3-4 defense, and we don't even have an heir apparent in place....and AJ just released him? Its got to be more than just a financial move.

I have a feeling this could be the same as when the Broncos thought they were clever for picking up Marlon McCree.

11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    I agree totally- don't go over to the dark side...

12. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    and it's official - signed a 3yr deal to be a ****ing donkey.... son of a ***** :flail:

13. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Although I think his skills have eroded, this will always erode Jamal's reputation in my book...joining that team with that coach. I do not believe I have ever hated any iteration of the Donks more than the current one--as much as I liked seeing Cutler fail, seeing McDumbass fail last year, for some reason, felt even better.

Hopefully, this salary money can be spent on an aging pass-rusher...I am a big advocate of the likes of Ogunleye, probably the most underrated cog of the Bears defense over the past 5 years.

14. powayslugger

Ratings:
    +276
    ratfarts... Jamal goes over to the Donkies and their Doogie Houser of a coach.

15. powayslugger

Ratings:
    +276
    - Chris Chambers resigns with KC, Thomas Jones signs with Chiefs
    - Broncos sign three D-linemen including big Jamal the Wall

the rest of the AFC West gets better and AJ sits on his faqing hands... what a douche.

this kind of crap is giving us plenty to talk about on bolt talk

16. CaptainTapp

CaptainTapp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2

Seriously, now KC has a backfield of Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones, one to light it up, the other to grind it out. We HAVE to get our D-line beefed up. Denver and KC appeared to get better while we are just trying to maintain last year's squad. At least the Raiders seem to be dumping as much salary as possible... are they trying to get Lebron??? Oops wrong sport.

All season when I saw those terrible Run-D stats I thought to myself, its just cause we don't have Jamal, next season that won't be a problem. WTF???? :icon_huh:

Now we have to draft a fat boy #1 to fill his spot and HOPE he does half the job Jamal did, then take the best RB left in Round 2. On the plus side we may get a #3 for Charlie Whitehurst (some teams are checking him out), maybe we can package that with our other 3 for an extra 2nd round pick? AJ you better PWN this f-ing draft!

17. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    In the books, folks.

I will grade AJ at the end of the offseason, not the beginning, as he signs for value. At the same price, I would rather have an Ogunleye than a Jamal, as much as I hate to say it...younger, and fills a need that may be vacated by Merriman.

I mean, why sign a McCardell, a Derek Smith, or old FA to simply ride the pine and eat up cap room?

18. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    WTF Jamal?!?!?!

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    He must have needed the money very bad. CAn't think of any other reason a player would play for the donks or raters.

20. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    AJ's plan better be pretty spectacular or I'm gonna be super bummed.... dealing chargerville when times are rough is miserable :( :( :(

We still have a lot of solid guys on our squad but losing Jamal... man I didn't even see this coming and I hatehatehate it.

21. CaptainTapp

CaptainTapp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I know its fun to bash the broncos but to be fair they are still a semi-respectable franchise with the potential to make some noise next season. Remember that at one point their defense was tops in the league, before injuries and wear and tear set in. I'm sure lots of defensive players would like to be a part of that team right now. Raiders on the other hand - they have been so poorly run for so long that very few guys really want to go there.

That said, of course Jamal needs the money. They all do. At the end of the day this is a business, and none of these guys are playing for you and me. They get beaten up and physically destroyed because its literally their job, not because they love the city or the fans (for the most part). They may hate the Broncos when they meet twice a year and see the bulletin-board material that gets spewed out, but when the season is over its just another potential employer for these guys. It's like if I work at McDonald's and you work at Burger King we may say "oh that guy sucks" but if McDonald's fires me I'm thinking "I wonder if BK needs a new fry-flipper" lol.

But seriously, its a little unfair to Jamal to say "he must have needed the money". Why do you think AJ cut him? Because the business that is the San Diego Chargers "needed the money". 13 years didn't mean much to the team, so why should it mean much to Jamal? Meanwhile we have Merriman for another year, he's made it very clear he doesn't want to play for us anymore. But he'll still probably come out and bust his *** to make as many plays as possible. Why? Because he wants a new contract next year. It's all a business, and any one of these guys will go wherever the money is. Can't say I blame them. Unless they go to the RAIDERS that is!

22. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Syd, from what I hear, this was Jamal's choice, not AJ deciding to pull the trigger without any pre-text. I have absolutely no ill will towards the organization if this is indeed the case and put the blame squarely on Jamal's broad shoulders for defecting.

And the Broncos offense will center around Orton to an overrated Eddie Royal, Stokley, and Graham as it stands, which is pathetic. The defense could hold the opposition to 7 points per game, and I would still have my doubts about them doing better than 8-8.

The Chargers are like the Buffalo Sabres of football--people acknowledge all of the players leaving, the lack of FA activity, and are shocked when the team does well because the players kept are actually quite good and a development system that most teams would die for. :abq2:

23. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Syd, we all have to realize its a retooling year. It was gonna come this year or next. And with the league in flux right now and who knows what comes a year from now but this would be the year to do it. Still have alot of talent. WE survived without jamall last year. And a ladanian who's lost a step.

This is the year to do the retooling. A.j. is just trying to keep ahead of the game. We might actually be better next year if we can land two or three good players this offseason to solidify the defense and offense.

Were in the situation like buffalo was when they let bruce smith go. And when the cowturds let emmitt smith go. LIke jamall and ladanian. All these great playes were on thier last legs. Its better to find younger talent to keep building on the team you have now.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Man - you guys are just looking to hate someone, aren't you?

Jamal wants to PLAY. Denver was willing to PAY THE MAN. It's a business, not some f.u.cking hobby where you stand no chance of any play being your last.

Show me a link where Jamal pushed AJ to trade or cut him, IFC. Show me a link or shut your whining-*** mouth.

I despise Denver. Jamal is one of my all-time favorite Chargers. But at the end of the day, these guys are looking to get paid. You want to blame someone, blame the decision makers in our FO. Personally, I think Denver is overpaying for what Jamal has left in the tank, but your BS comments towards him are outta line.

You're acting like a bunch of spoiled little *****es. Grow the hell up & realize that, like it or not, the NFL is a business & these guys have to look out for their interests.

Boo f.ucking hoo.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He took the most money, I don't blame him for that. He'll still end up in the ring of honor eventually.

But giving that much guaranteed money to an often injured 34 yr old NT is a MASSIVE risk. There's no guarantee that Williams will play through the contract and not be injured during the year. He's basically been healthy over the last few years for the first time in his career - prior to 04 he was injured often. From 04-08 he was basically healthy

26. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    You just like to talk out of your *** for the sake of pissing people off, don't you?

Only one person here said Jamal forced AJ to trade or cut him, and we are all essentially saying the same thing as you: JW had a choice, and him being on the Broncos as we speak is because he owes it to himself to get paid, end of story.

Excuse us as fans for being a little pissed that a fan favorite has now joined the enemy, but just because football is "a business" does not mean that actions do not have fanbase consequences.

I agree that the posts in this topic, for the sake of constructive criticism are useless. In fact, I would say that the only post more useless is your own, as it truly does not serve any purpose except to just piss off people who wish to show a little bit of *gasp* emotion towards a player who many fans have become attached to over the past decade.

NFL players can do whatever the hell they want, but to expect no reaction on the part of the fanbase, especially the fanbase that knows the value of a steady NT, is sheer ignorance.

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    jamall and ladanian are on thier last legs. The chargers had the choice of paying big money and not starting to retool and have aging old players. Or they could go the retooling road and start improving this year.

28. CaptainTapp

CaptainTapp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Maybe he is doing us a favor in disguise by fleecing them... Either way I say good for him for getting paid, he gave us many good years, certainly more than Cromartie. Let's just hope we draft a good RB and an O-lineman or two so Jamal isn't a problem when we play Denver...

And for the record I despise Denver more than any other sports city (even boston). Love watching the Nuggets choke in the playoffs, love watching the Donkeys not even MAKE the playoffs. And anytime I see a broncos fan in a message board its "we're going the superbowl" any time they win a game. I've never heard from a Denver fan that wasn't incredibly boastful about their team. But at the same time I can't fault somebody for joining those teams if the money is right, at least they have good management and seem to take care of their players, and they are not as poorly run as the Raiders.

Also, I am so sick of any time the Lakers or Chargers head to Denver how everybody goes "oh the air up there is so thin nobody can keep up with these guys in their own city". For the record we HOUSED them there 30-something to 3, and really, these guys are trained f-ing athletes. Yes I understand thinner, colder air makes a difference and it improves the conditioning of guys who live there - but its not like other teams don't train hard too. Anyway that always bugs me when I hear it.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No, little boy, you implied that you knew something that was a "pretext" to AJ cutting Jamal. Prove it or STFU about him getting paid. You don't like where he went, too bad.

As for talking out my ***, there are plenty of folks here who have met me & know that I will say the same to you in person as anything that I say here. And that I'm a pretty nice guy who's contributed quite a bit to this board.

The fact that the value of a true NT is a known is all the more reason to blame the FO, not Jamal.

You don't like me or what I say, I could give flying crap. Doesn't change the fact that you're a whining little *****. You're emotion, as you put it, is misplaced & I told you. BFD. Go tell your mama I hurt your widdle feelings.

30. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Dude, I could care less about feelings being hurt myself; I just want you to stop trying to justify your very rare instances of trolling and man up.

I will be the first to acknowledge that you do contribute very positively 99% of the time, but there are just cases in which you go off on people for seemingly no reason, and instead of cry in the corner, I call people out when I know they are better than to troll. Sorry.

The pretext in this case is as simple as Jamal no longer being worth his salary, which we do not know for a fact because he is a year removed from production. I agree that cutting Jamal was the right move, despite where he ended up.

But man, at least show some consistency is all I ask, since you accuse me of "whining" and yet, you pretty much hijack this topic and whine about the reactions of the general public towards losing an all-time Charger to a rival.

This is not worth discussing further, I am sure you agree.