1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

JAMAL WILLIAMS SIGNS WITH DENVER FOR 7 MILLION GUARNTEED

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Haterproof2020, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Good job AJ, u played hardball and struck out, Jamal is the last person I wanted to see twice a year F**K:tdown:

2. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    You are late to the party :p.

But seriously, it is his choice, and he is not the player he once was...although I will personally miss him and hate seeing him on that team, in particular.

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    the Broncos should get Tomlinson as well..reeeally rub salt into the wound by beating us down for the AFC Title...and probably win another superbowl..

..SUCK:icon_evil:

4. Haterproof2020

Haterproof2020 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    lol, figured i was a lil late but didnt see a post, he cant play a whole game but he is still a monster trust that, plus he had a whole year off on his legs, and the motivation to beat the **** out of us, he is gonna be a big problem them 2 games.

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Try running on the Broncos next year...aint going to happen:lol:

...put all your faith in Rivers people...thats the what the Organisation obviouslt wants us to do..we have no choice...we sink or swim now, according to Rivers play.

...was probably always that way the last few years anyway come to think of it hehe:lol:

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    wow, one hell of a fan you are sir. :tdown:

7. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    ..was a shot taken at the Chargers Head Office..just making my point!:icon_tease:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Fuggin' Chicken Littles. OH NOES!!!! JAMAL IS GOING TO DENVER!!! WHAT ARE WE TO DO?!?!

Denver is still gonna suck next year w/ or without him.

AJ knows what he is doing so STFU.

It's ALWAYS better to get rid of a player 1 year too early than 1 year too late. In Jamal's case, I think it's a year too late.

9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    When it's called ahead of time like that, it NEVER actually turns out that way! :icon_banana:

10. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    The Donks have been reaching for old timers for what three years now? I wish we kept Jamal but we didnt if he plays the entire season next year I will be surprised. Good Luck in Denver Jamal. You are going to need it.

We better be working on resigning some of our guys ie..... VJ, Floyd, McNeil, Merriman, Sproles and Gates thats what I want to see happen with this team in the near future.

11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I am not sure why everyone is worried about Jamal Williams going to the Donks....

At his age and the way he has played the past couple of years, combining that with coming off a major injury and the Donks having to pay him 7 million a year....I like our chances.

I'll take the comp pick next year.

12. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Do we get a comp pick? We released him and I guess I was thinking we get nada in return?

13. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I've been trying to stay positive, but I'm really pissed off about this one. Jamal could have helped us this year. The Broncos wouldn't have dumped that kind of coin on him if they weren't sure he was healthy. He fixes the one weak spot on their defense....even if he only plays 25 or so snaps.

This is an uncapped year...WTF are we doing letting our big boy go over a roster bonus that won't affect the cap this year. That's just more fodder for the consipiracy theorists who believe we are just shedding salaries so the Spanoses can buy out and leave SD for LA.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    We get nothing.

15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Having Big Jamal back...even on limited playing time...would have been a huge boost for our defence.

It would have put us right up there as one of the best again...sadly its not going to happen..the question is..

..will the Chargers get the same kind of effect that jamal would have had or more from anyone thta they can draft or hire through FA?

I don't have a problem with getting rid of players if you know for sure that you are going to improve as a result! Especially at this juncture. We don't have time to let someone take a few years to grab hold of a newly available position and make it their own...do we?

16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Ya we don't get a pick......I forgot they just let him walk.

17. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    From a player standpoint, I would rather sign Titan FA DT Tony Brown to a deal for likely less money than what Jamal is making in Denver--he put on a good show last year and could give our D a nice boost.

18. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Thing is...there might not be anyone who wants to own the Chargers.

Maybe all the fans could pull together and buy the club like Manchester Uniteds fans are trying to do?!

How much are we talking here? OK everyone, start empting your pockets!! hehe lol

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    AJ will sign nobody worthwhile, not only because its not his M.O. but because this is San Diego.

You want a model of an uncapped sports franchise in this town....look at the Padres.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, but it seems paying big money to older players never works out well.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    So....you think we let Antonio Gates walk next year? He turns 30 in June. He's going to want a new contract which he damn well deserves.

If it happens, its what I consider undeniable proof that the Chargers are headed to becoming the Padres.

22. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    ****ing pissed off about this, but it's par for the course considering the direction this team is headed.

23. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Denver's defense is getting old quickly

By Bill Williamson - ESPN

The Broncos have been busy revamping their defensive line with the signing of Jarvis Green and Justin Bannan, who will likely start at the end positions, and Jamal Williams, who will play nose tackle.

The group is an improvement from last season. Still, the new players are making Denver a very old defense.

A lot will happen in free agency and in the draft, but there is a chance Denver will have nine defensive starters over the age of 30. Six of Denver’s starters last season __ Champ Bailey (31), Brian Dawkins (36), Andra Davis (31), Andre Goodman (31), Mario Haggan (30) and Renaldo Hill (31) – will be 30 or older by the start of the 2010 season. Bannan will be 31 next month, Williams will be 34 next month and Green is 31.

The only current key Denver defenders are linebackers Elvis Dumervil (26) and D.J. Williams (27). Apparently, Denver believes this unit is built to win now. It better be because this group won’t be around together for long.

24. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    baseball is a bit different than football. Alot more hitting in football. Its a young mans game.

25. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    This really pisses me off. All those other teams out there and he has to go to friggin Denver.

It's hard to be a Charger fan when you see player after player leaving.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Jamal has been a great Charger, but he missed all of last season and he was sub par the year before. He was one of those who went light in training camp, along with LT and some others. Broncs can't afford to do that with him this year and he will have to get into game shape by playing more in the pre season. I wish Jamal well, but the odds of him having a major impact all season are not all that great. Strong 4th quarter teams like us could be trouble for a team as old as the Broncs. Maybe they go 6-0 like last year and then fade. That's as likely as Jamal leading a resurgent defense.

27. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    good thing I don't read these threads anymore.

This will be Jamal's 14th season, some 150+ games.

He started one game last season. His cap value was 5.3 million.

What was AJ suppose to do?

:icon_shrug:

28. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    beat me to it

:tup:

29. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Well, for one thing this is an uncapped year, so there is zero negative impact in terms of our payroll. At the very least, he would have been a very good rotational DT to bring in on rushing downs.

We were 13-3 last year....At some point you have to stop looking at 4 years down the road and just go for the jugular and try to win a championship. When there is no cap impact, you have the opportunity to keep some players you might otherwise jettison.

It is clear from this move that Spanos / AJ have elected to go the cheap route and use the roster bonus as an excuse rather than try to win now AND continue to build for the long-term.

30. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    but at some point you have to measure productivity as well as the numbers.

He only played in one game last year.

Maybe the FO felt like he couldn't contribute even in a rotational role.