1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jamarcus Russell Benched

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Russell benched
    October 25, 2009 5:27 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

Many Raiders fans just got what they’ve been asking for: JaMarcus Russell has been benched.

Bruce Gradkowski is playing for Oakland as it trails 21-0 to the visiting New York Jets.

Russell threw two interceptions and lost a fumble before giving way to the journeyman Gradkowski. Gradkowski threw passes on his first three plays and completed one for 7 yards before the Raiders were forced to punt.

This is clearly a fascinating move by the Raiders. Russell has been horrific this season and he struggled mightily last season. It is unclear how long the No. 1 overall pick of the 2007 draft will be on the bench.

But he’s sitting now.

2. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    ME 2

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    WOW I HOPE THE CHARGERS PLAY AGAINST RUSSELL.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    He'll be starting against the Bolts under Big Al's orders

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Russell=Leaf

6. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Russel is the Norv Turner of quarterbacks.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Russell pulls off great success in the end to the bemusement of his critics and his teammates thereby rallying them to his cause only to get steamrolled by a hard charging team???
    :lol:

8. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Sorta? he rallied ppl last year after looking bad... Norv did too. He came into this year touted as a good prospect... Norv did too. He faced tough competiton and got stomped... Norv's play calling did too... He faced talks of benching, Norv faced firing after this year. Now Norv wins against a ****** team to redeem himself with all the Norv worshippers... Russel may play ok against the chargers or pull off a win against KC or something.... Just like norv....

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Both are reluctant to being the leader to their team.

It's amazing how the Raiders can look so awful most of their games and then all of sudden play like a competitive team, and then go back to being complete crap.

10. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    Since VJ and Rivers are on my fantasy team I hope next week is as big a trouncing as this week! Of course once rivers throws like 1 touchdown he will bench him and sproles and LT and just run Hester for the rest of the game and punt and hope to get an int return touchdown or something!

11. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I have LT on my team so I was hoping for that TD, and honestly I'd much rather make sure VJ and Rivers stay healthy in a blowout than racking up FF points.

Although I'm kind of annoyed that I played Brees over Rivers.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Right.

Because that's exactly what he did in this game...

13. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I thought we fired Marty? :icon_rofl::yes:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yep, Jamucus got the hook but it still didn't help the Dud's.

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Leave it to B4L or his clone to try to turn this into a Norv sucks thread.

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    JaMaBa the Hut is going to start the next game for the Raiders. Cable already announced it during post game.

17. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Excellent!

18. YuoGotOwn3d

YuoGotOwn3d Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4
    like someone said sounds like a Ryan Leaf... but i hope not, i just hope he works on his skills or whatever lack of skills

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Wrap-up: Jets 38, Raiders 0
    October 25, 2009 8:56 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com’s Bill Williamson

Oakland coach Tom Cable said after Sunday’s game that JaMarcus Russell will remain Oakland’s starter and he will play next Sunday at San Diego despite being benched in the second quarter against the Jets.

That’s understandable, because the Raiders want the 2007 No. 1 overall draft pick to succeed. But the decision Sunday to sit Russell can’t be underscored. It shows Oakland is willing to bench Russell if it has to. Cable indicated that Russell was out of sorts Sunday.

Russell was taken out after he was intercepted twice and he lost a fumble. Russell struggled for virtually all of the first six weeks of the season. Still, Oakland was reluctant to yank him.

Had his backup, Bruce Gradkowski, played better Sunday, perhaps Cable wouldn’t have been so quick to decide to put Russell back in next week. Gradkowski showed some spunk, but the journeyman backup couldn’t lead Oakland to a score, either.

If Oakland, 2-5, was playing better as a team, perhaps the Raiders would stick with Gradkowski or even try to reunite with Jeff Garcia (whose return is unlikely after he recently criticized the team). But it doesn’t seem like the Raiders are going anywhere. Yes, there are more problems than just Russell.

The team gave up more than 300 yards rushing to the Jets. Sandwiched between Oakland’s 13-9 win over Philadelphia last week was four defeats by a total of 134-16. Sunday’s loss was the worst loss in Oakland’s home history. Defensive end Richard Seymour, who earlier in the week predicted the Raiders would make the playoffs this season, said Sunday they couldn’t beat an Oakland high school team.

All can’t be pinned on Russell.

He needs to be given more time (I’d say the rest of this season) before Oakland decides it has to pull the plug on him for good. Still, it appears that Russell is headed toward being a failure. Sunday’s move sure smacked of a preview of the future in Oakland: The Raiders playing with a quarterback other than Russell.

20. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Stupid Seymour predicted they would make the playoffs.

Yeah right. :icon_tease: