1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

JaMarcus Russell could go down as biggest draft bust ever

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 27, 2010 6:37 PM ET

When NFL Network compiled its list of the Top 10 draft busts in league history, Ryan Leaf came in first.

Some day they'll update that list, and JaMarcus Russell may just supplant Leaf in the top spot.

If the reports out today that Russell will be released are correct, the historical record will show that the Raiders spent the first pick in the draft on a player who provided them with 25 starts and completed 354 of 680 passes (52.1%) for 4,083 yards, with 18 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. Russell was sacked 70 times and fumbled 25 times.

For the most part Leaf's numbers with the San Diego Chargers were even worse than that, which might lead some to conclude that Russell can't be a bigger bust than Leaf (even though, if reports that he weighs 300 pounds are true, he has a bigger bust than Leaf).

But Leaf was the second overall pick in 1998. Russell was the first overall pick in 2007. There have been quarterbacks picked first overall who turned out to be bad, but none so spectacularly bad as Russell.

Leaf recently told the Los Angeles Times, "I used to go to bed at night hoping somebody else like Heath Shuler might magically leapfrog me on those all-time bust lists. It never happened. Why? Because I am No. 1. I can't even think of anyone else in the ballpark that might be close to my combination of disappointment and failed expectations.''

Russell is in the ballpark now.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    I'm sorry but Leaf still owns that title. Just compare the stats, Leaf makes Russell look like Peyton Manning.

And even if you want to compare character issues. Russell is fat and lazy, Leaf was/is selfish, an outright dick, and a criminal. Russell wins there as well.

I'd argue that Russell is a strong 2nd, however.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I think it's a dead heat between Leaf & Russell. Leaf gets the top spot because he was not only sucked, but was an ******* as well. Russell gets it because of his play as obvious lack of intelligence.

4. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Russell should go first cuz he's a RAIDER.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    The main thing I can think of to boost JaLardbutt's stock is that Oakland spent about 3 times the money that we flushed down the toilet on Leaf.

I will miss JaLardbutt....couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with a bazooka and couldn't read a defense with a "Reading Defenses for Dummies" book in his non-throwing hand. Good for 2 Charger wins a year.

6. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    :tup:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I posted this in the other Russell thread

Leaf was #2 pick overall
    Russell was #1 pick overall

The edge for being a bigger bust goes to JR

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,417
    The only reason Leaf was #2 was because some guy named Peyton Manning was in the same draft.

He doesn't get a pass just because he was drafted the same year as a future hall of famer.

Leaf makes JaMarcus look like Joe Montana.

9. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

JaMarcus Russell: A challenger to Ryan Leaf's throne?

Right now, the only thing currently standing between JaMarcus Russell and unemployment is Al Davis.
    The Raiders are preparing to release Russell (though I don't know what a team would need to do to prepare for such a thing -- I'm not expecting a major fan backlash on this one), according to ESPN's John Clayton.
    Russell is guaranteed $3 million this season, if he's released or not. If he stays with the Raiders, though, he'll make $9.45 million, so the Raiders can save $6.45 million by cutting him while not having to worry about a cap hit, either, given the current collective bargaining situation.
    The Raiders have a minicamp coming up Friday, and if Russell were to suffer an injury in that minicamp, the Raiders would be shafted. Teams can't cut injured players, and you'd forgive the Raiders if they didn't want to take that chance.
    In this particular case, though, it probably isn't any more painful to pay $9.45 million to an injured Russell than it is to pay a healthy Russell. I don't know. Neither scenario is attractive.
    If they do end up cutting him, where does that leave Russell, historically? Can he make a claim to the title of biggest draft bust of all-time? Is Ryan Leaf's place in history in jeopardy?
    Now's a fairly convenient time to compare, since Leaf appeared in 25 games in his career in his first three years (there were technically four years, but he missed one entire year with an injury) and Russell in 31. So at the moment, they've got a comparable level of experience. Let's look at the numbers. The following are career stats.

The numbers tell the story. Russell was better at nearly everything, except yards-per-attempt. I attribute that to the Raiders being better at knowing JaMarcus's limitations -- a broad subject, to be sure. The Chargers, for way too long, held on to the dream that Ryan Leaf was a real quarterback, and they let him throw actual, downfield, big-boy passes. It rarely ended well.
    Also working in favor of Russell are the following:

• Leaf's teammates outwardly loathed him, while I don't believe there's any such massive contempt for Russell.
    • Leaf also had the series of terribly embarrassing media outbursts. .
    • Russell's Raiders would've probably been bad teams no matter who was quarterback. Leaf's Chargers, though, actually had some very good defenses. Leaf held his organization back way more than Russell.
    • Leaf has to live with the Peyton Manning comparisons. The 2007 rookie quarterback class is positively grim.
    • The Chargers actually traded up to get Leaf, giving up two first-rounders, a second-rounder and two players.
    • Russell still has a chance to make a decent quarterback of himself somewhere else. Leaf had the same chance after the Chargers let him go, but he never got better. Russell's still got a chance to defy all the odds and become mediocre.
    This one is Russell in a walk.
    But I still think it was a worthwhile exercise because every now and then it's good to get a reminder of just how atrocious Ryan Leaf was. Look at the big picture here. JaMarcus Russell, universally considered a huge bust, can't even come close to Leaf. Not unless he manages to keep getting worse. And now that I mention it ...
    That is a possibility. Leaf, as bad as he was, at least managed to get better each year. Russell, after three years in the league, is actually trending downwards. Here that is, represented in handy graph form. Leaf is in blue, Russell is in gray. The lighter lines are QB rating over three years, and the darker lines are completion percentage.

That those lines keep plummeting downward is your best hope, Ryan Leaf.
    Don't let yourself get there, JaMarcus. Right now, you can look at anyone and proudly say, "At least I'm not Ryan Leaf." Don't let anyone take that away from you.

Check out the numbers... http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...A-challenger-to-Ryan-Leaf-s-th?urn=nfl,237173

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

OK, I'm going to red bomb whoever, the next time I see this in a post.

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    • The Chargers actually traded up to get Leaf, giving up two first-rounders, a second-rounder and two players.

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

I couldn't resist. :no:

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Fool's, there will never be an all time bust and who really cares??? Leaf could never be a bust if all the expert's never said he was a can't miss pick, and I know we have many of the same breed in here. Now stand up and be counted. :icon_shrug: :icon_eek: :icon_huh:

13. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Jamarcus aint gott nothin on this guy

[​IMG]

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I thought that was Eli.

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    didn't we say that was you in another thread?

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I think these two solidify RL as the worst

17. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I tend to agree. I just hate being considered a fan of the Team with the Biggest Bust in NFL History that will ever be. :( :crying: :tdown:

Oakland will be better than the Chargers when it comes to Busts. :tdown:

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Thought who was Eli? The Manning drafted with him?

Eli was drafted in 2004 by the Chargers and traded for Rivers.

19. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree with that totally, however it won't MATTER if we take home that hardware in February! Leaf was a d--k and even though Russell was a colossal bust I don't think he will surpass Leaf. I mean just ask ANY football fan who the Biggest Draft Bust is in the league and the name Ryan Leaf will come up like 99% of the time! Leaf wasn't only the biggest bust as a player but is probably just as big a bust as a human being. I hope he's at least worked on that last part....:unsure:

20. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Leaf will always be the biggest bust just because everyone already decided he was. And every list ever about draft busts says he is. It's a self-perpetuating thing. Kind of like how Citizen Kane will always be the greatest movie ever, even though we've probably all seen better movies.

21. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think someone would have to be a bigger jackass than Leaf was

There have been plenty of crappy QBs, but only one that managed to turn an entire fan base against him

:tdown:

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I was thinking chronology-thru the brandy haze. Still, no one can really beat leaf. Then again, the BIGGEST draft bust in history was our own Ron Billingsley, although he wasn't drafted #1 overall.

23. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    What about Mossy Cade. :icon_eek:

24. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +687
    He got cut today.

25. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    yea like 15 minutes ago, lets see who signs him, if he goes to team to team like leaf he could be a bigger bust

26. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I think we should bring him in for a look...........at NT. :icon_rofl:

:icon_tease:

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Bigger physically, but there's a few things to keep in mind.

Russell still has better stats (which is crazy...but true)

Russell still had a better attitude (which is also crazy, but also true)

Lastly, the Raiders didn't give up two first round picks and a player just to move up one spot to get Russell.