1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

James Harrison refuses to go to the White House.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Helljumper, May 17, 2009.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Because he wasn't asked about it on a local radio show back then. This time, he put himself in the spotlight.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,353
    That's a load of crap. You're the one who's making this more of a color/race issue than anyone else.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This time, they want an explanation!!! :yes:

I think nick is right on target when he said "It's important to some because it's a black man (who was the leader of the best defense in the NFL) refusing to visit the black man who is the leader of the free world.

Last time people probably assumed it was a black man who didn't want to go see the evil white man who was the leader of the free world. No one questioned it."
    :yes:

4. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No, it's right on target. :yes:

And I don't feel that Harrison has to have an explanation... not this year or in 2006. :no:

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    as long as he makes plays on the field, why should we worry what he does off the field. He did not hurt anyone, he did not break any laws, he wasnt arrested for anything. And now he has to defend himself because he did not want to go to the White House. It must really be a really slow news day for the media.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,353
    I don't think he needs to explain himself either. But, he went on a local radio show and opened himself up to criticism. Doesn't make him less of a person or player, IMHO.

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    But obviously... some feel he does.
    A red alert when on in the White House when they found out there is a famous black guy who doesn't idolize Obama. :yes:

Biggest threat since "Joe the Plummer!!!" :lol: :lol:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    The Obama administration would argue that!!! :yes: :lol:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    It's not a bad thing to talk about race. I don't think it played a factor in Harrison's decision to not go to the White House, though. Either time.

I think he's just a surly sunnofabiitch who has a huge chip on his shoulder.

This time the media saw an opportunity to get people talking... and it worked. Harrison probably doesn't give a shiit one way or another.

"OMG!!! How could this wonderful black player NOT want to go and shake the hand of this wonderful black President!!!??? The Horror!!! "

BFD. Harrison's a dick.

Charles Barkley was right. Athletes are not role models.

(Oh... and B4L... we're buddies again. right?) [​IMG]

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,353
    [​IMG]

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Does Obama want us to throw rose petals along his path as he walks along the masses?

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    has it come down to this?

Isn’t there anything else in the whole NFL that we can have an argument on?

POWDER BLUES ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I wouldn't want him on my team - but not because of this non-story.

That said, part of the price of "fame" and all that money these guys make is that when they speak - people listen. When you say stupid **** in the press it gets scutinized. Don't like it? Don't say stupid **** :icon_shrug: Keep your mouth shut or stop being a multi-million dollar athlete. Suck it up.

It's not like he's standing up for some cause - he just thinks he and his team is so important that being invited to the white house b/c you won the super bowl isn't an honor but an insult. That darn Barak Obama (and even Dubya!) is such a bandwagoner :rolleyes:

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly!!!! As soon as the news was out that Harrison would not be in attendance, And alarm sounded through out the White House!!!
    "Send the Joe the Plummer crew out to get him!!! Tell him he must have a note from his doctor or we'll put his picture on the Uncle Tom media wall!!!" :yes:

And weren't we always? :icon_toast:

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I'd love to have him in Chargers colors. Cause he's a great player!!!

As for everything else... I stated earlier that I think his reasons were stupid as well as his loss BUT the whole thing itself is NOT worth printing!!!

It's very simple to see that the mainstream media wants to make an example of him and anybody else who doesn't worship the ground Obama walks on.

17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    In B4 .gif of him playing dirty in the Superbowl.

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    Harrison said...."If you want to see the Steelers, invite us when we don't win the Super Bowl..."

THE WHOLE REASON YOU GOT INVITED IS BECAUSE YOU DID WIN THE SUPER BOWL YOU ARROGANT ****!

This guy is an embarrassment to himself as well as the rest of the Steelers organization.

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Do you really think they really care what we think?

They have 6 Lombardi's we have none, which makes it look like we are crying in our beer.

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    I'm sure the Steelers organization couldn't care less what we think, but I have to disagree that it makes us or anyone outside Steeler Nation look like whiners.

The guy made an arrogant comment - we collectively rolled our eyes and said "Oh Puleeeeez!" - I don't think that's whining so much as it's acknowledging his obnoxiousness :yes: :lol:

21. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I think everyone is going about this the wrong way...It upsets me that most of the media is giving the impression that he should go on this visit based on race. Seriously people....Even if Bush was still the president (i never approved of him) and he invited me to the White House I would accept.

How many people in America would reject an invitation to the White House to meet the leader of the free world? I don't care if it was McCain that invited me I would never pass that up. It is an honor, and should be treated as such!:flag:

• Like Like x 2
  22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    You wouldn't as the rest of us wouldn't either but it's his choice (and loss as far as I'm concerned). Most of us are saying "it was a bad decision in 2006 as well."

But that's not the way mainstream media sees it. 2006 was actually approved. The same guy makes the same decision while their candidate is in charge and now they're outraged. :yes:

No mention about it in 2006 but now, Harrison is stupid.

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    My issue comes in where James Harrison is under the impression that they were invited to the White House because Barrack Obama just wanted to meet the Steelers (supposedly one of his favorite teams).

The pure arrogance of his statement (not the media) is what set me off.

24. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I genuinely might have sent a couple previous administrations straight to voicemail. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  25. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    If you don't want to go, you don't have to go. This is a free country you're free to do as you please as long as you follow the law.

The only stupid thing from Harrison was his comment for not going. If he's afraid of flying that's a valid reason to not want to go, although probably not something he wants to admit.

26. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Count me as one who would not go, I have no reason to go there, and I have nothing to gain from going there.

27. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I agree that if you don't want to go you don't have too. Harrison's comments were stupid to begin with. But the idea that he should have accepted because it's Obama is absurd. I know i wouldnt say no. But this is why America is a free country.

28. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    and we pay tribute to the thousands of people that have died protecting our freedom this weekend! God bless them, each and everyone of them!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    He should accept because its a honor to go to the White House and shake the President's hand, not because its Obama.

Otherwise if he doesnt want to go, just say "I'm busy I can't make it." And then keep his goddamn mouth shut.

30. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    IMO it'd be an honor to get invited by any president, but I'm also not someone important with probably better or cooler **** to do. Still it's a pretty cool honor that not a lot of people get to experience.