1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

James Lofton or Rob Ryan next Turd coach?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Mar 4, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://www.examiner.com/a-1256899~Dickey__New_coach_won_t_fix_Raiders.html

SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) - Lane Kiffin will soon be history — the betting among insiders is that he’ll be gone before next month’s draft — and the only question is his successor. Al Davis will hire from within, either defensive coordinator Rob Ryan or newly hired James Lofton. My money is on Lofton, who was twice interviewed by Davis for the head job in the past.

It’s a total turnaround from last year, when Kiffin was introduced as the new coach and Davis talked of their common history as Southern Cal assistants, seemingly seeing in Kiffin a version of himself at that age.

Davis also allowed Kiffin the ability to hire new assistants, which previous coaches could not, as well as allowing him to run an offense that is an offshoot of Bill Walsh’s system, not a Davis favorite.

Even then, though, there were hints of future discord when Davis overrode Kiffin’s preference for wide receiver Calvin Johnson to select quarterback JaMarcus Russell with the No. 1 overall pick.

Russell did not sign with the Raiders until after the season had started and didn’t play until late in the season.

It’s much too early to pass judgment on that selection. Russell is a big talent and was a big playmaker in college, but there are disturbing signs. He reported so overweight that a woman reporter suggested he needed a bra.:lol: He got back down to his playing weight during the season, but there are reports that his weight has shot up again in the offseason. His focus on football seems less than complete.

He’ll be the starting quarterback, though, because the two quarterbacks who shared most of the playing time last season, Josh McCown and Daunte Culpepper, have left as free agents.

During the season, Davis observed as always but didn’t interfere. The Raiders were more competitive than they’d been the previous season, but still ended up with a 4-12 mark, which was right where they’ve been stuck the last five years, as they’ve compiled an NFL-worst 19-61 record.

Davis tried to get Kiffin to sign a resignation letter. Kiffin refused, but I’m sure the two sides are negotiating a settlement now.

Though Davis has always had the final word on club decisions, somebody else has done the public negotiating. No longer. Agents have said that he’s the one doing the negotiating, as he’s made two big deals, signing New York Giants safety Gibril Wilson, the San Jose native and City College of San Francisco alumnus, as a free agent and signing his own player, defensive tackle Tommy Kelly to a $50 million, seven-year contract with $18 million in guaranteed money.

The first deal was an excellent one. The Raiders can now move Michael Huff, who has been a disappointment at strong safety, to free safety, where he can better use his athleticism.

The second move was a real head-scratcher. Kelly has value because he can play either inside or outside, but he is coming off an ACL injury and he could have been retained at a much lower price.

Davis has clearly decided to roll the dice and show a skeptical football world that he still knows how to put a team together. You can count me among the skeptics. No matter who the new coach is, the Raiders will again hold up the rest of the league this fall.

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    James Loftin or Rob Ryan next Turd coach?

Good Lord, what a joke of a franchise. Looks like another two wins for us next year.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

So much fun!!!

Lane Kiffin is coming out of a losing team smelling like a rose

That's two easy wins for us this year already, I look forward to watching the Raiders' fans' black makeup run down their face in tear streaks

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748

Norv should hire Lane to be our OC and give him free reign to run it up on Oakland.

:lol: X infinity

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579

I would love to see that. :lol:

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171

Al Davis gets what he deserves and Lane Kiffin is the best thing to happen to the Raiders since Jon Gruden.

Idiots. :icon_shrug: :lol: :bolt:

7. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63

Is that necessarily a bad idea? Do you think Kiffin would want to work for us, and if so would it be good for us?

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

hmmmmm verrry interesting
    we do need a real OC and Kiffin could be a good protege and acolyte for Norv's offensive genius

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689

I was just talking to a raider fan friend yesterday and I said the only hope for the raiders was for Al to pass away and have someone else in control. He agreed with me. The nation is losing faith in the godfather. :lol:

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152

Wouldnt mind that one bit

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

fixed it

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I would too. I like Kiffin and he'll only be 33 this season.

Al is freakin' stupid. Just about every Retards fan I know kept saying "I hope Al gives Kiffin some time and sees what happens." I deffinetly would have given him three seasons.

13. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38

Add to that Javon Walker [ex-Donkey] who is also coming off a severe ACL tear and possible microfracture surgery. Oh yeah he signed with the raiturds for get this = 6 yrs $55 MILLION! Yes that's not a typo $55 M with $27 over the first 3 years and $16 M GUARANTEED...the dude caught 20+ passes last year and is not like Al is signing Jerry Rice in his prime here.

Bahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahah :icon_rofl:

Stan :rivers17:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

Now if the Pats will just turn into Oakland East, I'll have faith in the football gods again. :yes:

Wonder what Al is smoking these days?? :icon_huh:

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018

Thanks for the $20 mil, now I can afford to pursue that career as a competitive eater...

16. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96

...I don't know what he's smoking but keep that crap away from me. Obviously it's destroying any functioning brain cells he still had. :hilarious:

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

I know Loftin wants be a head coach but I hope he doesn't walk right into the abyss of coaching and take that job. To bad he couldn't have become an OC with us and I suspect there must have been friction between him and Norv.

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680

Well, those are fans are getting exactly the opposite of what they're wishing for. Because Al Davis is taking a MORE active role in the team's operations.

The signings of Kwame Harris and Javon Walker were 100% Davis decisions. All I can say is "You go Al!".

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584

With all these signings, I think Uncle Al has built in another reason to fire the NEXT faider coach. I can see it now, at the end of next season his statement on why __________ (insert name here) was fired will read "with all the offseason moves we made, our team was a lot better than 2-14". :lol:

20. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579

BTW, who is "Loftin"? Lol...