1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jamie Dukes calls the Chargers Mentality 'soft'

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.mighty1090.com/episode/jamie-dukes-on-the-sliding-chargers-theyre-soft/

Good interview IMHO.
    A lot of people dont like Jamie, I do. He knows his stuff and calls it like he sees it. Pluss he likes him some PR17. He was the only media personality to defend PR17 when Cutlet and he were jaw jacking back in the day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,405
    That "softness" comes from the top...... the ownership.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Could've been worse. Imagine if they were called out as soft by Daisy Duke's! :eek:

4. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Any relation to this guy?

david-dukes.jpeg

5. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Notable absence of any praise for the fact our team is made up of nice guys of good character...

6. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    I could call them some other things too

7. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Jamie Dukes calls the Chargers Mentality 'soft'
    I call that the sun rises in the east.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I know nobody asked, but just in case you were wondering...

Ryan Mathews
    Att: 56
    Yds: 342
    Avg: 6.1
    Tds: 3
    Rec: 12
    Recyds: 97
    RecTDs: 1

Not that he'd be doing much better than 4.5ypc again in our system, but that's still better than Donald Brown and Brandon Oliver.

9. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    It (4.5 YPC) would be better than Melvin Gordon too. On only 56 carries, Mathews has outgained Gordon 342 yards to 328 yards despite the fact that Gordon has had 85 carries (3.9 YPC).

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I disagree with some of what Dukes has to say where he tries to put most of the team's inability to run on lack of practice and focusing too much on the passing game.

If the OL is practicing pass blocking a disproportionate amount, they are not very good at that either.

At some point, you just have to look at what the OL players are doing and conclude that despite their size, they are soft when it comes to run blocking and that is just where their talent or lack of it is. I think Fluker has run blocking potential and Dunlap did well in that area in the past, but right now I am only seeing Fluker get any kind of traction when it comes to run blocking.

And the defense is just small and soft and anyone should have known that was going to be the case even before the season began from the personnel assembled. This year, when it came to defensive stoutness, our front office said, "Let's do something new--instead of being stupid, let's be really stupid!"

I would say that there is hope that the front office could learn from its mistakes, but three consecutive years of stupidity tells me that they might be the only people that can't see the obvious problems that the defense has in terms of how it lacks talent. This is certainly confirmed in their approach to the draft when they pass on absolutely great 3-4 fits to draft lesser players.

11. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    All that extra rest during past seasons in San Diego, ought to have left RM with plenty of rubber and thread. He may have an excellent season if he stays healthy. Good move for him to have gone and he seems like a genius now despite the fact that he did not strike me as a particularly sharp person, mentally speaking ;)

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I'm not suggesting Gordon is the problem, the kid is a rookie so I expect it to be his worst year in the league no matter what. You add an incompetent coaching staff with no clue how to manage the talent they have, and an injuries up and down the line and that's what you get.

It's the one case where I do agree with you whole heartedly on Tom Telesco, I'd have sooner sent Brown AND Oliver packing before watching Mathews walk away. I like Oliver, but his ceiling is low.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Is it Fall Forward, Spring Back? Or is it Fall Back, Spring Forward?

14. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Spring forward, Fall back.......much like the past decade of Chargers seasons.....:confused::ninja::notworthy:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    One thing that I can say is no matter how many men the team is down, whether it's a regular starter or a second/third stringer, the team is fighting and not giving up... On the other hand, some of the other players are clearly showing that they have given up by going through the motions and calling it their 'best effort'. Slackers in our midst...

16. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Agree with pointy there are slackers left right and center on this team. And they are able to get away with it because the mgmt/coaching is soft as marshmallow. Can anyone imagine someone like Donald Brown or Jacoby Jones being on a Belichick team right now. Not a chance, they'd be out the door yesterday. Butler and Flowers are others and I'd question Watt too.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well I have been thinking long and hard on this, and it wont be popular.

But I think that the team should bring McCoy back. Or at least offer to. Coaching staff ha to change, ST coach has gotta go, OC, and DC need to be changed. Give MM the choice to fire them, or go with them.

I look at the Steelers, and a few other teams that hold on to coaches through down seasons and they are usually rewarded. MM has done some really god things, and I am not sure Bilicheck could make this team, this season win. The OL is simply not up to task. Even if the starting OL were all healthy, I am not sure the players we have (all 5) are a solid OL. This season is in the books. It will be a losing season.

But I think MM should be retained. Riley got more years, the Spanos need to show support for the Head Coach in hope of getting this locker room to focus.

18. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Big question: Has the coach lost the locker room?

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Marshmallow Mike will not make that call. So fire the lot of em I say.

Or at least bring in Whiz as OC immediately.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Scott Kaplin says "Scorched earth"........everybody needs to go.......even the Q janitors......they suck too.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Kaplan is a kicker with a mouth.

/argument

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont know, ask the medical staff, they are the ones spending the majority of the time with our players it seems....

23. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    While Conc has brought up some valid points, I just don't know if McMilk is capable of turning this thing around and breathing life back into a full cardiac arrested team. This team is soft mentally, physically and spiritually, nothing works well it all goes in spurts depending on who is well enough to play. To me that's on the whole coaching/training staffs and the perpetual party atmosphere of the Dego lifestyle.

I'd like to see the return of a "Rough Acres" training facility used back in the day by Sid Gillman. Keep the boys secluded where they can train and keep their noses to the grindstone until camp breaks. Make it a honor to become a Bolt and use the Mission Valley HQ as a reward for the hard work it took to be invited as a team member. JMHO.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We will NEVER see the return to rough acres. The new rules limit practice time, meeting time and conditions that players can practice in.

That era seems to be dead and burried.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    This is part of the problem in my mind, the further pussification of the NFL and the game I grew up with. So much has changed that the game has become watered down to a point it is almost unrecognizable. I know these boys are all bigger, faster and stronger today but the game just doesn't have the same soul.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It is, what it is...

~ AJ Smith

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    ...with a pocketful of Dianabol!!

Rough Acres.jpeg

28. Slam

Slam BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +137
    Heard an excellent interview with a former player and he said Sunday is the expression of things going on in the organization... It all trickles down. And our boys are just boys and can't say forget this BS and noise and let's run a train. Nope, each player individually loses every battle. Starts from the top and goes through every facet.

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I don't think they would get away with that these days. Hey, if that is what you advocate it ain't going to happen.