1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jammer, Cromartie expected to start

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

November 24, 2007

<!-- BODYTEXT -->Quentin Jammer is healthy and will start at left cornerback tomorrow against the Baltimore Ravens, and it appears Antonio Cromartie will be the other corner in place of Drayton Florence. Head coach Norv Turner would not confirm that Florence will have his 33-game starting streak stopped, but Cromartie has been working with the first team.
    Cromartie made his second career start last week in place of Jammer, who missed his second straight game with a strained hamstring. Cromartie, who leads the league with six interceptions, had just one ball thrown his way – a 36-yard touchdown pass on which he failed to get inside on his man.
    There remains uncertainty over who will start at center. Nick Hardwick said he would be surprised to start Sunday.
    Cory Withrow has started the past four games in place of Hardwick, who sprained his foot Oct. 14 against Oakland. Hardwick took a significant number of snaps this week in practice, but he and Turner said a decision on whether he starts will be made tomorrow morning after Hardwick tests his foot before the game.
    Busting out?

Rookie Buster Davis has been slowed much of the season by various injuries but had three catches for 39 yards Sunday at Jacksonville. He took a good shot to the leg after one reception but emerged healthy.
    “He tried to push early and go from the start, and injuries set him back,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “But I think he got to sit and watch a little bit, and he looks like a different guy out there – just his freshness and confidence in his route running, and how he believes what he can do.”
    Gotta take it

The Chargers are second in the league in takeaways, and their 17 interceptions are more than any other team.
    But they went without creating a turnover Sunday at Jacksonville, and it showed. They began five drives at their 20 or worse and two inside the 10.
    “It's been a big part of what we've done when we've played well,” Turner said. “Turnovers, when you're struggling a little bit on offense, they make a big difference in the field position . . . When we've been able to get turnovers, it's made a big difference.”
    The Chargers have gone just two games without turnovers this season, both losses. They are 5-0 when taking away more than giving away and 0-4 when the ratio is reversed. Their average starting position in those five victories was the 32-yard line. In the four losses, it was the 25.
    Old friend

Baltimore tight end Lee Vickers, signed from the Ravens' practice squad earlier this month and active the past four games, was Rivers' backup quarterback in high school.
    Rivers said Vickers was about 6-feet-4, 200 pounds in high school. Vickers went on to play college baseball and then played defensive end at Northern Alabama. He was moved to tight end in his first training camp by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is listed at 6-6, 275 by the Ravens.
    Lights Out rod

After the Ravens held Shawne Merriman to one sack last year, Baltimore linebacker Bart Scott yelled across the locker room to left tackle Jonathan Ogden: “Hey, J.O., tell Merriman to turn the lights back on.”
    Merriman laughed a year ago when he first heard Scott's quip and laughed again yesterday when reminded of it. “I love it,” Merriman said. “All they're doing is throwing fuel on the fire.”

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Typically I would say 'oh it is on now!'... But Cottrell wont release Merriman. *sigh*

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Can we say "harmonic convergence" ? :icon_toast:

I have another funky feeling (not like the one which compelled me to lose all my Boltcash $100k+ last week) but a much greater divine spark.

How can I put this succinctly?

Hmmmm.... how about the Ravens are fuc't. :bolt:

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'll bet $1000 boltcash that BDH doesn't bust out the "Prison Sex" on this one... :no::lol:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think that depends on which team shows up. If they play like they did last week and catch a break or two, then you're right. This season the Chargers are reminding me of a sub prime loan. The hole just keeps getting deeper. Cromartie starting makes me feel better. Now, if they would just start Weddle for Mother McCree. If we're lucky, he'll tweak something in warm ups just enough to give Weddle a chance. Weddle is a better fit for the way Cottrell runs things, since he seems to be able to actually find the ball and his *** at the same time. Nothing serious, mind you-something like a toe sprain. I was hoping Hardwick would start, now it's up in the air again. Getting a real Blue Meanie back up front would be nice.

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I don't know Chico........this thing is going to go one way or the other and it starts this sunday. These guys need to get angry and Denver's WR Marshall sure added some excellent motivational speaking (thanks idiot :yes: :lol:).

I'm close...... :bolt:

• Like Like x 2
  7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

You missed your calling, you should have been a poet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I was known as the masked shithouse poet on the jobs. You never knew where and when he would strike - coming to a porta-potty near you. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    This should not be a hard game to win but we're not exactly in a situation to brag either!!!! :icon_evil:

10. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    This entire F'n team needs to shut up and play football. The NE patriots proved to us last year that you can have 800 freaking pro bowlers and lose...On paper we are great. Too bad we play games.

Merriman needs to keep his mouth shut and say no comment. In fact, I would rather here him say, that he needs to step up and play better.

TBF

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Our pass defense may have gotten a little better but will Cro tackle.?

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Of course not. He doesn't know how to tackle.

Cro with our weak safties will not help our run defense for sure.

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    It is also time to start Weddle in place of Mother McCree. I doubt he'll hang the corners out to dry quite so much. He has more football sense than McCree, even in his first season. He is also more athletic and able to react to small mistakes a lot faster-and he's not shy of contact. Considering his playing time, he has plenty of tackles and I don't remember him being burned much. He also has the only sack among the DB's. McCree was brought in last year for his field sense and leadership and sold as the glue that would solidify the back four. There was some evidence of that last year, but this year he has been out of position on several very key scoring plays, when a body in the right place would have changed the outcome. Weddle normally has his body in a position to make a play instead of eating chalk dust five or ten yards from the point of initial exchange. Weddle is habitually around the ball. That's all you can ask, and more than McCree is doing.

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Here’s a porta-potty tip for you. Do not eat the complimentary mints; they are not nearly as tasty as they appear.

15. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Stay away from the yellow snow, too. You know, out there where the huskies go. Oh yeah, don't eat the brown acid either, and under all circumstances, stay away from the lukewarm clam sauce.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Thats exactly what I'm worried about.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    With some safety help over the top Cro would not have been "beaten" for that TD last week. That help should come in the form of Weddle, but doesn't look like he will start. :tdown:

Think Hart will be able to wake up in time to play some ball this week??

18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    So what do you guys think is up with McCree this year?

Always hard to see the safties on TV but he seems a different player now or is the weak pass rush just exposing him?

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The weak pass rush is hurting our secondary as a whole, but I think that we're seeing a player who doesn't have the "football smarts" that we need back there. Our safeties are interchangeable & I don't think that McCree or Hart have what it takes to handle that responsibility.

Now Weddle, on the other hand, has the smarts, focus, & ability. Time to let the new guy show his stuff. :yes:

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree. Weddle seems to have that special sense good safties have about where the ball is headed.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Eventually I hope to see Cro & Oliver at CB with Weddle & Jammer at safeties. That would be an awesome secondary. :tup:

Hey, what time is it there, Alpenbolt? 8am?

22. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Yeah, just got up Buck. What are you still doing awake?

Get some shut eye guy. You got be fresh tomorrow when you collect your cabbage on that cover.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

:lol: Had a long nap this afternoon - shrugging off the effects of too much fun last night!!!!

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    SWEET!!!

FU DFlo

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I second that emotion. :tup:

Flo has hopefully lost his starting position at CB.

Let the Cro era begin!!! :abq1:

26. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    When Merriman's fire was "fueled" last week, it took him 3 quarters to even register on the stat sheet :icon_rofl: