1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jammer Makes Play of the Day

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DefenseWins, Aug 16, 2007.

1. DefenseWins

DefenseWins Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +246
    Jammer Makes Play of the Day
    Thursday, Aug 16, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

It wasn’t an interception or a deflected pass, but Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer made the most significant play of the day Thursday afternoon.

Thanks to an invitation from the sixth-year veteran, approximately 20 student athletes from the San Pasqual Academy were on hand to watch Chargers practice and visit with their favorite defensive back. Jammer spent several minutes signing autographs, posing for pictures and individually chatting with the Dragons’ football players.

“Quentin is really an inspiration to these guys,” said Dragons Head Football Coach Bob Manning. “You can see it in their eyes when he talks to them. They’re speechless, and that doesn’t happen often. It’s great for them to see an NFL star that is as humble as he is. He comes down to their level and really motivates them.”

Last Christmas, Jammer hosted a dinner for several students from the San Pasqual Academy, a residential school designed specifically for foster teens. He immediately built a relationship with the group and decided to make the school the main beneficiary of the newly-formed Jammer Family Foundation.

“I wanted to do something special in the community and I was put in touch with this group of kids,” Jammer said. “They’re unbelievably well-mannered. When I met them at a dinner event, I knew immediately I wanted to work with them because they were so appreciative. I could tell it would be a great relationship.”

Jammer plans to be closely involved with the school throughout the year. Twenty students from the Academy will attend each Chargers home game through “Jammer’s Picks.” Jammer also plans to attend as many Dragons football games as possible, host holiday dinners and buy Christmas gifts for the students. He’s also planning programs to help raise money to build dorms and classrooms on the campus.

“They’re the type of kids I want to help if I can,” Jammer said. “These kids go through a lot. I just try to tell them that anything is possible. I just want them to know that there are people who care a lot about them. It’s more than just football. It’s life.”

Jammer’s involvement with the school is not the first time the San Pasqual Academy has benefited from the Chargers’ generosity. In 2005, SPA was awarded a $75,000 grant through the Chargers Champions program to help improve the school’s upstart football program. In addition, two San Pasqual Academy students have received $7,000 scholarships through Chargers Champions. Manning sees Jammer’s investment as an extension of the Chargers’ kindheartedness.

“I’m just thrilled and honored that he’s taking the time to invest in the lives of these kids,” Manning said. “He’s a busy guy this time of year. He’s got a lot going on. These kids are going to get a lot out of his involvement in their lives.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are also player updates and team notes at the end of the article (press link in title)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    LT, Merriman, Jammer, and I'm sure other Chargers as well, each do so much for the community. It's great that we have such a talented team on the field, but that these guys are great citizens is the icing on the cake. It's like we're the anti-Bengals.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yeah. :tup:

And there's no cough medicine within a mile of that place.:flag:

4. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I thought we were the Bengals West last year with all our arrests... Steve Foley, Terrance Kiel, Ryan Krause, Matt Wilhelm, Shaun Phillips, am I missing anyone? At least some of the trouble makers (the less talented ones) are off the team, replaced with more skilled individuals.

5. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Oh but not to be so negative, this was a great story to read about. I remember when I was in high school, a Charger player came to talk to us about school violence after the Santana and Granite Hills(?) school shootings. I think it was a kinda nobody, Scott Turner I believe, but it was cool that they would care enough to talk to us during a stressful time. And he sounded genuinely worried about us. Keep them the SAN DIEGO Chargers!!!

6. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Yup .. Merriman. Ironically enough mentioned earlier as someone good for the community.

7. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    He was arrested? For what!? Steroids is one thing, in his case they weren't illegal, just banned from football, but did he ever do anything that broke the law?

I know some steroids are illegal (if not most) but he wasn't charged with anything.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Could you post more?

I like the avatar!

9. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Haha, I've been getting a few compliments for it. I still like the one guy's mini video avatar where the girl unzips her top and her beauties are released... Great stuff. Anyway, that's for another thread I guess.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Merriman wasn't arrested. Merriman donates alot of time and money to charity. He does a coat drive for the homeless every year in his native Baltimore, and he does several charity events in San Diego.

11. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Good to see Jammer taking some time with the community. He seems like a solid guy on and off the field.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    It's rarely mentioned in the stadium debates but if the Chargers were to leave the SD area this and most of the other local player charities could be lost as well.

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Good for Jammer! Foster kids deserve all the help they can get!:tup:

14. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Wasn't Sammy Davis arrested for impersonating a cornerback?