1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jammer Plans to Get More Picks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Chargers' Jammer has plans
    Written by Kevin Acee
    8:44 p.m., Aug. 9, 2011

Quentin Jammer thought for a moment about going to the receiver’s back shoulder, taking his usual route to simply break up the pass. It’s what he does best, about as well as anyone over the past several years.

But this time, Jammer saw an opportunity, kept running straight ahead and fluidly grabbed the pass intended for Kelley Washington.

It was just a play in practice last week, but it was nonetheless remarkable in that it was so uncharacteristic of the play-it-safe veteran.

“I gotta be aggressive,” Jammer said with a smile. “I’m coming up toward the end of my career. I’ve only got a few more years left on the island. I’m going to make the most of them.”

He’s serious – sort of -- about all of it.

“I definitely think in this league, as a veteran, you don’t really have to be super fast anymore to play corner,” Jammer said. “As long as you’re smart and you know how to get in position, you’re good. The thing I still have going for me is I’m still pretty fast. I can still run, I can still jump, and I feel great. I think after this year, though, three more years at cornerback. Four total.”

And while the Chargers decision makers continue to insist they see Jammer solely as a cornerback, the second-longest tenured member of the team still has after-corner plans.

“Down the road, I want to play some safety,” he said. “It’s easy for me to put on a few pounds. Right now I’m about 210. I can put on another eight pounds and play strong (safety).”

Until the team signed Bob Sanders this offseason, Chargers fans had actually for years been clamoring for such a move, even before Jammer went public two years ago with his desire to eventually transition to safety.

The persistent talk has been fueled by Jammer’s physical style of play, solid tackling and lack of interceptions.

Fact is, corners are popularly measured by the number of passes they steal. Jammer has never had more than four picks in a season and over the past five years ranks 20th among NFL cornerbacks with 12 interceptions.

But of the 19 players with more interceptions, just Charles Woodson andAsante Samuel have allowed fewer touchdowns than Jammer’s 14. Just five of those cornerbacks have allowed a lower reception rate than Jammer’s 53.2 percent. Just six have more passes defended than Jammer’s 69.

We won’t have Jammer defend his play here. He long ago tired of doing so.

Suffice it to say, while he has worked hard over the years to improve his ball-catching, Jammer remains mostly content being among the league’s safest corners. And he appears to still be near the top of his game. Last season, he faced a career-low 79 passes as teams generally stayed away from his side of the field.

Now, the brutally honest Texan does acknowledge the passage of time. He’s not saying yet that he’s lost a step, but he knows the day is coming sooner than later. He is, after all, entering his 10th season, doesn’t shy from blunt-force contact and has missed just one game since becoming a starter in 2003.

The rest afforded by the lockout combined with a new training regimen, he said, has him feeling “the best I’ve ever felt in my career” at the start of the preseason.

“I want to play as long as I can stay healthy and play with my kids,” said Jammer, whose six-year contract expires after the 2012 season. “I love the game of football. It’s nothing about the money. I’ve made enough money. I just love to play. I like to compete, go out there and have fun. I like being in the locker room and shooting the (bull) and joking around and having a good time. That’s what you miss when you get out of the game.”

As for Jammer going after more interceptions, it should remain a believe-when-seen prospect.

“I’m gonna continue to play the same,” Jammer said. “But if I can get the pick, then I’m gonna take the pick. If I can’t get the pick, then I’ll just break it up.”

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dont sing it! Bring it!

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +504
    Yawn. Jammer has hands of stone, he'll never be a pick machine. I'm happy to leave that to Cason and Weddle. Jammer can continue breaking up passes and laying the wood on opposition players. 4 more years (incl 2011) at corner?, yeah right. 2 more at best I reckon. SS in 2013.

4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    4 more years!!

5. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Wow! He's only missed one game in 10 years. CHAMP!

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What a coincidence .... I plan to pick my nose more this year! :p

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    So long as you dont want me to pick your nose... Cause I will use a real pick!

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm mailing the results to you. :cool:

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ewe...

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    See .... I knew it. You live where men are men & sheep are nervous.