1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jammer Signs 5 Year Extension

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Aug 8, 2006.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +347
    MUST BE!!!!
    You must be watching the Faiders!

2. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +347
    Dude what the hell are you talking about? That basically states everything they have said and nothing you have. Maybe you should just go back the UT then if you like those posts.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I was always defending QJ, too. This guy had it tough. He came into the league, and in his rookie year, the NFL essentially outlawed the way QJ played CB in college. It was like the guy had to re-learn the position. He has shown solid progress every year. In '04, Jammer showed he could stay with any receiver and provide blanket coverage, even if he did sometimes lose sight of the ball. In '05, Jammer improved once again, knocking down 19 passes. If it wasn't for the 3 or 4 dropped INTs, QJ would have been lauded by all for his play last year and would have been given heavy pro bowl consideration.

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    :lol: it's not so much, that he can't catch a cold... what disturbs me, is that he still gets lost covering his man... and the bonehead penalties...

I Luv QJ.... :icon_mrgreen:

... party on Thumpers balconey 10/15...

• Like Like x 2
  5. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Signing Jammer is huge , I hope Smith continues to sign our guys now lock up Cooper, Florence and Wilhelm.

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The UT's article this morning on Jammer's extension said a few particulars:

5 years, up to $30 million, with $13.5 million in bonuses.

7. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Expert?? I am just a guy who can't spell.

Certainly not a famous poster like you.

8. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think that's a good summation - for part of the story.

Jammer is a physical presence in our run defense, and when we play cover-2 and the QB drops the pass into the flat. He's a sure, solid tackler - the type of CB Marty likes.

Even if some posters/fans believe Jammer is "just a #2" CB, it still is good to get him re-signed. If Cromartie develops into a playmaker at the CB spot, then SD has two solid CB's signed longterm.

I also like Florences ball skills, and his fundamentals as a CB. He does get injured too much, and also gets that Sammy Davis "Deer in the headlights" look on occasion. If D-Flo confidence stays high and he also further develops, then hopefully we have 3 good CB's. I would advocate signing D-Flo longterm as well, because teams plays 50% or more of their defensive snaps in the nickel.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    jdog -

Found this post at Chargers.com .....

10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Purely a GUESS .... but I don't think the $13.5 mill is a one time signing bonus.

More likely, it was structured with some signing bonus and some roster bonuses. Maybe even more base salary (as part of the "guaranteed" money) for 2006.

We got good figures from Kirwan and other media sources on Hardwick's extension breakdown. It was a cap friendly deal for the Chargers for the length of the contract, and I'm hoping the Jammer deal is similarly structured.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Another thing.

Remember when looking at details that roster bonuses are USUALLY treated the same as base salary for cap purposes. They are fully depreciated in the year the money was actually paid.

Option bonuses are USUALLY treated the same as signing bonuses, and amortized (depreciated) over the remaining life of the contract.

12. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I think both D-Flo and Jammer could be our starting safeties in 3-4 years (D-Flo at FS and Jammer at SS). It's a natural progression for a veteran CB at age 30 or so, and both have skills for those slots in the secondary.

But, until then, I TOTALLY advocate resigning D-Flo. Teams spend 50% or more of their defensive snaps in the nickel, and you need 3 good CB's. Why not retain all three - Cro, Flo and Jamm???

I hope they can get that done.