1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jammer's key tackle leaves big imprint

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    October 15, 2007
    Several Chargers defenders talked about Quentin Jammer and the “huge” play he made with 20 seconds left in the first half of yesterday's 28-14 win over Oakland.
    <TABLE cellPadding=2 width=284 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>[​IMG]
    K.C. ALFRED / Union-Tribune​
    Shaun Phillips, sacking Daunte Culpepper in the third quarter, lauded Quentin Jammer for his TD-saving tackle near the end of the first half.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>It was the kind of play that never makes the highlight shows or the highlight film, but also the kind of play that changes a game, if not a season.
    Sure, it probably would have been forgotten were it not for subsequent sacks by Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phillips, but those players knew the only reason they were in position to make those plays – which kept the Raiders from scoring a tying touchdown just before halftime – was because of Jammer.
    Funny thing, though: Just about the only player not making a big deal about Jammer's tackle on Ronald Curry was Jammer.
    “I was just doing what I do,” the sixth-year cornerback said. “They weren't throwing at me, so I figured I'd make a few tackles.”
    Humility aside, Jammer's play was a game-changer.
    “To get them off the field before the half with no (points), that was a huge momentum gain,” safety Marlon McCree said. “The play that set it up was the tackle by Jammer.”
    The Chargers were in the process of blowing a 14-0 lead, giving up a touchdown on an interception return and then allowing the Raiders to drive from their 14 to the San Diego 32 with 27 seconds remaining.
    On third-and-1, Daunte Culpepper rolled to his right and lofted a perfect pass to Curry, who beat Drayton Florence down the right sideline. Curry appeared on his way to the end zone, but Jammer sprinted toward the sideline and knocked the receiver out of bounds before he could reach the goal line.
    “I came off my man. I was looking back at the quarterback and saw him throw the ball,” Jammer said. “I just turned and ran for the play.
    “I wasn't worried about the angle. I know if I hit people, if it's my intention to keep them out of the end zone, they're not getting in the end zone. I already had it in my mind he wasn't going to make it to the end zone.”
    The Raiders still had first-and-goal from the 1, but Merriman sacked Culpepper on first down and Phillips got him on second down. Phillips also forced a fumble, and Jamal Williams recovered at the 11.
    “That shows good hustle by Jammer to get over to knock him out to give us a chance to stop them,” Phillips said. “Any time you make a play it's big, but situational plays are what really change the tempo of a game. We were able to get out there and do it.”
    “If he doesn't keep running on that play, they score,” said McCree, who set up Merriman's first-down sack by not falling for a fake and covering fullback Justin Griffith. “He hustled, got him down on the 1-yard line, and we were able to get that turnover before the half.
    “If they score there, even get a field goal, that's a momentum swing for them, not us. To get that turnaround was huge for us.”
    The fumble was one of three turnovers forced by the Chargers, the second straight week they had three takeaways. San Diego also had a season-high six sacks, with Merriman (2½) and Phillips (2) recording multiple sacks in the same game for the first time since last year's season opener at Oakland.
    The Chargers allowed 246 yards, the fewest since Chicago had 202 in the season opener. The defense gave up just seven points after yielding only a field goal last week in Denver.
    In the previous three games, the Chargers allowed 99 points, although 14 were scored by the opposing defense. “We feel good about where we're at right now,” Phillips said, “but we're definitely not content.”

UT

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I'm just glad he made a tackle...