1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jared Gaither and Marcus McNeill, our two tackles going foward?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mettadown, Dec 6, 2011.

1. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    I was impressed by the play of Gaither today against the Jags, do you think theres a spot for him in the Chargers going foward at the right tackle position with McNeill playing left tackle?

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    One game does not a right tackle make, let's see what happens the rest of the season

3. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Gaither is not good. He was terrible for us. Couldn't even make the starting roster and when he played, it was clear why. I know he didn't do anything terrible last night, but the Jags didn't seem particularly interested in competing. I would see this as an immediate stopgap fix only at best.

4. SD Charger Fans in Austin

SD Charger Fans in Austin BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Gaither looked pretty decent last night. **Disclaimer-It was against the Jags**
    Lets not over analyze his performance against a sub-par team.

5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I agree that one game doesn't say much, but I'd like to see him start the rest of the season and if he plays ok bring him back to training camp

6. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    People really dislike Clary haha, sure Gaither had a pretty decent game, but it is just that - one game. Let's not get carried away like he's Joe Thomas or something.

7. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    I know its only one game, but wouldnt a pack of chittering monkeys be better than Clary? Gotta think a 25 year old 6'9" 340 pound dude could get a hold of the speed rushers way better than Clary does. The only Jags speed rusher got killed by Gaither last night. He actually took him down by the neck and the guy fell with his leg underneath him. Seems strong and damn does he have a wingspan. Move Clary to backup, seems like Gaither could be signed for a song right now. Tackles dont usually come cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Need to draft an OT in round 1 or 2 next year.
    I doubt the McNeill's stenosis will get much better--that's some serious stuff with lifelong implications for the man.
    And, as noted, Clary isn't the future.

If the Bolts are forward thinking, they'll be reloading at OT early in the draft the next couple of years.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    If he isn't a long term RT idea, I'd like to think of him as a solid backup tackle option if he's interested

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    ^Or have Gaither split time on the line, and use him for passing downs. He literally rag-dolled whoever was lined up against him in the Jags uni. Even showed him on TV abusing the defenders, and people in the bar were saying, "Who is that guy?" A lot of the people that have never seen him before were remarking that he is the type of monster we need on the lines. Beef is good, more beef! Again, this is only one game and now he will get another chance to show if he can bounce some defenders from Buff on Sunday.

11. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Sorry, I had to laugh at this one. I think half of K.C. is sick to death of hearing "Toddy Baby" talk about how he is going to get the "best 53" on the field. <spit>

We need to see a lot more out of Gaither here, but here he will get a chance to show what he actually brings to the table rather than having to deal with a Napoleon complex on a daily basis.

12. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    I want to see how Gaither holds up for the remainder of the season. I am not convinced that Big Mac is coming back. we may have battles in next season's training camp at both tackle positions. The current crop can fight it out with the draft class of 2012 and any free agent tackles we get in the off-season. Let the biggest studs keep Rivers off of the ground!

• Like Like x 1