1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jared Gaither

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Nov 14, 2012.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Again missing time this week..

Its getting real sickening with this guy. I mean how long is it going to take. First it was his back, which he took what 2 months off? And now a groin issue which I guess I can expect him to come back in December if were lucky.

Mike Harris did a good job against Elvis Dumervil last game against the Donkeys, but Clary struggled against Miller, wish if Gaither was ready Norv would have the balls to throw Harris out there at RT.

But, again if were lucky, Dumervil might be out. Porter I think will again be out as well.. But Chris Harris is actually playing good at CB for them..

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    Dumervil sat out of practice with a shoulder problem. But yeah, Harris did rather well last time. Clary was the turnstile last game.

3. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +496
    draft at least two olinemen, one a LT, get Troutman, Harris, Gaither, et., throw them in a pot and lets see what we get next year

4. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Gaither is not a RT, never has been. He's also not a reliable solution at LT due to his frequent unavailability.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    One can only hope that McGuire had the good sense to push for and get a similar "easy out for injury" clause in Gaither's contract as he did with McNiell's.

However, railing on a guy because he takes a long time to come back from an injury is pretty lame. Back injuries are no joke - particularly when you're as tall as Gaither is and carrying the weight he does, not to mention that proper blocking and drive-blocking technique dictates being able to bend at the knee and air-sit which puts a great deal of pressure on the upper legs, gluteals, and the lower lumbar region of the back, as well as the hip-flexors. Groin injuries are notorious for being among the three longest to recover from among "minor" sports injuries (the others being the infamous high ankle sprain and hamstring injuries). if the guy was truly dogging it, he wouldn't have come back from the back injury and would still be milking that. He's brittle - shouldn't be depended upon as a long-term solution - but don't treat the guy like he's crap because he can't stay healthy, that's just straight ignorant.

But Ikeman is right, Gaither doesn't play RT well. Baltimore tried him in a power-oriented scheme at that position and he performed poorly. KC tried him there in a zone-based scheme and he was equally as unsuccessful. He's a guy like Nate Solder who succeeds because of his athleticism and ability to use his length for leverage to drive guys off the point of attack and negate the advantage their speed gives them. This is why (granted I'm not AJ) but if Taylor Lewan is among the BPA's to us at whatever draft spot we're in the 1st round, I'm taking that kid to the bank. He's got LT potential and a high ceiling, but he needs more seasoning - something he could get playing at RT until such time as Gaither gets injured again or (God willing) if JG stays healthy next season, for a year or two until the guaranteed monies on the contract cap hit have passed and we can offload him (Gaither) cheaply. I'm not an advocate of drafting a 1st round RT, but if the guy is as the Niners originally approached Joe Staley or the Pats Nate Solder your LT of the future who can slot in as your RT for the interim, he's worthy of such draft position.

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Blame lies with AJ.
    Gaither was known to be injury prone, and AJ backed him up with Dombrowski and Harris??
    Not a surprise that Gaither is injured again.
    It was a surprise that the injury caught Bolts mgmt offguard.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    I blame AJ more for the lack of a real backup (Dombo has no business playing tackle and Harris was a very good but very lucky find) than for Gaither. There were no better LT options in FA except for Bell who is a joke in Philadelphia (they rag on him worse here than we do Clary) and after basically saving the season the Chargers had to pay him. But AJ's strategy of getting linemen late in the draft hasn't worked well at all, and finally it's coming back to bite us in the ***.

To get back on track with Gaither, I still have a very very bad taste left from his BS in training camp and the start of the season to the point where I don't give him the benefit of the doubt any longer. I just don't believe him any more because I maintain (even though I have limited circumstantial evidence) that he decided to sit on his *** and collect his checks until the villagers were ready to run him out of town then miraculously he's healthy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    I didn't mean to say that AJ is to blame for re-signing Gaither, hell the guy played well last year and he was worth a dice roll. Just that mgmt needed to recognize that it was a dice roll and get someone better than dobrow backing him up.

Injury: I'm with lbc on Gaither: dude has a messed up back. Though I guess I wouldn't toss out the possibility that he was milking the bolts. Hard saying without being the dr looking at him.

9. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    You'd think he would have lost some weight in the off season and gotten in to shape, that usually prevents back issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I didn't mean to dog the guy for milking it or anything. I'm not saying he didn't or doesn't feel pain in his back or groin. But, I'm just overly frustrated he continually misses games and practices. He had back issues before, so like SatchBolt said, after getting paid this off-season, why wouldn't he lose some weight so that problem doesn't reoccur.

Totally understand what your saying, my father had lower back issues from work. After healing his groin was giving him problems as well. He uses most of his lower body for work too.

But, Gaither has had similar issues in the past. So, I'm frustrated with him and also AJ for not finding a viable back up, even though Harris has been great, but he is a RT for sure.

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    I guessing that Gaither plays Sunday, whether he practices or not........ he's like Iverson. ;)

12. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +314
    Bob Sanders anyone???

13. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +314
    Freak'n San Diego "Bust" 'rs........

I'm so tired of this sheeot. :mad:

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,165
    He is down at the docks taking tickets for tourists that want to see the Star Of India...

• Like Like x 1
  15. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    Gaither is exactly who everyone knew he was to be... a slacker. You can defend his "injuries" all you want and I do think an injured player is defendable, but in Gaither's case, some criticism should be warranted.

He was cut from Baltimore essentially for being lazy and the same goes for Kansas City. Then, this year, he is in camp for the first 20 minute weight lifting session and is MIA for the entire preseason and the first few games of the regular season and is now "sporadically" available with a mysterious ailment that has almost every doctor confounded. Yes, back issues are a doozy and very tough to recover from...some never do. The question with Gaither though is the fact that it has been well documented that he has a very poor work ethic and is not shy about taking a check for doing nothing. Getting AJ and the Chargers to essentially hand him a bag of money to watch football from the sideline is a best case scenario for Gaither, imo.

It is also fairly evident, again imo, that Gaither isn't a "gamer". For all the raves and love that is thrown his way from many forum members around here, you'd think he was pro bowl caliber...but he is far from it.

I think it is very clear at what a sad state the offensive line of the Chargers are if Jared Gaither is the "best" offensive lineman for the Chargers because I think he is one of the worst type of players to have on a team.

16. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    You've obviously never had a back issue. Or if you did, you were fat and think your case applies to everyone.

17. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    That'd be nice...

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Dumervil is playing. He and Miller are going to tear this offense apart from the first snap. Fox knows the Chargers are on the ropes and if Mathews isn't starting in the backfield the defensive gameplan will be to blitz the B and C gaps all day long. Gaither or Harris... doesn't matter. At this point Clary is the best offensive tackle on this team if for no other reason than his reliability (ie, you know what you get with him).

At least if Mathews is in there the threat of a real running game exists. Battle & Brown won't get it done on the ground.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think it matters whether or not Mathews plays. I think that the Broncos are going to pass rush all game, and simply trust that Manning will provide them with points on the off chance that Mathews breaks a long one. They know that Norv will dial up absurd pass plays, and they'll likely just be waiting on them. Since none of our receiving options are scary, they can play 8 in the box all day anyway and have their SS attend to Mathews if he runs by their pass rushers.

Having a garbage o-line negates the value of the running game, because it makes the passing game too full of opportunities for big negative plays. By contrast, a strong o-line (above avg run blocking, great pass blocking) allows you to force more conservative play from the defense in the passing game, while providing the added boon of giving you an effective rushing attack by forcing the defense to react to your plays.

20. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    The bigger the groin, the harder they fall......

UTKevinAcee@UTKevinAcee
    Jared Gaither (groin) will miss another game. Seems more likely that Ryan Mathews (neck) will play Sunday @ Denver.

21. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Harris rocks.

22. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,165
    Did Vasquez get knocked out of the game? Who covered for him?

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Yes... and Molk. At one point during the game the only 1st-choice OL we had in were Hardwick and Clary... the rest of the line was comprised of Harris, Hadnot, and Molk.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Full OL draft next season. No other position. :mad:

25. Heir Coryell

Heir Coryell BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Everybody bashed Gaither and they should ....but what about Eddie Royal? Another hamstring after one play? He and Meachem are USELESS!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +181
    You got that right. These two have been less than useless this year. Do we still have Tutu on the team? I know that we re-signed him a few weeks ago but I haven't seen or heard much about him. Is he gone already?

27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Alexander in 3 games as a starter has 15 receptions.. 1 less than Eddie Royal and 1 more than Robert Meachem. Meachem + Royal's TD's = 3, Alexander TD's = 3..

Meachem+Royal's earnings this year = $3M
    Alexander's earnings this year = $540,000

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    I don't trust Jared Gaither at all, I have no confidence or faith in either that he can play to previous levels or in that he's telling the truth on his back ailments. Frankly I think he's getting fat and lazy on the chargers dime. Simple as that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Freaking Eddy Royal owes us at least a couple kick returns for TDs. He use to kill us when he was a donkey!

30. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Ant...it is time to really let us know how you feel! :D