1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jarret Johnson interview on 1090

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Loves him some Norv too, but don't tell Matty. :D

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Shhhh!

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Be nice you crotchety old pooftah! :)

5. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    You Californians and your words I don't understand

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wait... we are supposed to understand what we say? :eek:

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    We already have one thread discussing the "N" word.;)

8. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    Too old to turn over a new leaf. ;)

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    OK, who pulled Conc's string? :D

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I have no strings... As you can see...

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS: Ravens import Johnson bringing toughness to new team
    [​IMG]

Jarret Johnson comes to the Chargers after nine seasons in Baltimore. JAMIE SCOTT LYTLE | jlytle@nctimes.com

10 hours ago • By SCOTT BAIR sbair@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO — Jarret Johnson's reputation precedes him.

Should one get a chance to spend time with him — and those who work closest to him — the reputation quickly proves true.
    The veteran outside linebacker, one of the Chargers' newest weapons, is stoic and unflappable.
    "I like that dude," said inside linebacker Takeo Spikes, who is cut from similar cloth. "Jarret just loves playing football. You can just tell."
    Johnson likes one adjective above all else ---- reliable.
    "I take a lot pride in being durable, being a guy that you can count on," Johnson said after Monday's practice. "I'm going to back up what I say, and I'm never going to give this game less than 100 percent."
    That much appears true. With Johnson, you often know exactly what you're going to get. He's going to set an edge on the strong side, he'll stop the run, and he'll take on the tough assignments.
    "NFL teams like to pay guys they can count on," Spikes said. "With Jarret, you're going to get your money's worth."
    He isn't flashy, and certainly doesn't draw attention to himself, but Johnson has become an NFL iron man. He's played in 130 consecutive games and started every game since 2007.
    "It's part toughness and part luck," Johnson said. "I've always managed to miss the big injury, and if I can walk, I'm gonna play. That's just the way I am."
    He was beloved in Baltimore, where he played nine seasons after being drafted out of Alabama. While the attention went to Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs, fans loved his blue-collar work ethic and that he wasn't afraid to get his hands dirty.
    The Ravens chose to go in a different direction, and that loss was clearly the Chargers' gain.
    "He does so many things well," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "You know you're going to get his best effort every time out. He's just so consistent in his performance and his approach. That makes for a good football player."
    Johnson's stats won't wow you. He only has 20 sacks in nine seasons and has never had more than six in a 16-game season. But he excels at stopping the run and dropping back in coverage. His teammates say he never takes a play off. That comes from Johnson's love of the game.
    "I really do love playing football," Johnson said. "I love the preparation. I love to hit. I love the mental chess match that goes on between teams, but there's nothing better than going out and playing on a Sunday."
    Chargers fans will get their first glimpse of him Thursday in the exhibition opener against the Green Bay Packers, but during the course of a season, they'll see why his teammates have so much respect for him.
    He ended up in San Diego to chase a Super Bowl ring.
    "One of the main reasons I wanted to come to San Diego is that this team has potential to do something special," said Johnson, who turns 31 next week. "Above all else, I want to win. You can tell they want that so bad here."

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I like what he says, never really followed him witht he Ravens. Does he have any speed left? I got sick of seeing LaBoy and Spike outran last season, we need fast, mean and hungry LBs.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    Sounds like a tough dude, love his accent, is that Alabama like? the way he pronounces some vowels sounds a bit posh!.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't know about speed. To be honest, I don't know if he was ever considered fast. However, he's always been considered a good run stopper & cover guy, 2 skills that indicate a fair amount of recognition & anticipation. I think he'll be able to give us a lot of good reps this year.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good points. And if he can help implement some of what I perceive as the Raves tough mindedness, then I am giddy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    It's in the tude as I've been saying for years and he has it. During his interview he said " If I hit you as hard as I can within the rules of the game and you are hurt, then so be it" . That's all I've ever been asking for and I sure as hell hope it's infectious throughout the whole damn defense!!!!!! Get "sick" boys!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1