1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jason Taylor comments on Chambers (and more)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Oct 20, 2007.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Link: Jason Taylor Q&A

South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    October 18, 2007

Q: What is your reaction to the Chris Chambers trade?

A: "What do I think about the trade? Obviously I love Chris Chambers to death. I love him as a person, as a player. He's one of the classiest guys I've ever played with. I hate to see him go but it's a good opportunity for him. He won three games overnight by getting traded. He goes to a team that has a chance and that's good for him."

Q: Is the Chambers trade more likely to benefit the team in the long-term?

A: "It's not good news. I mean, it's not what I like. But we also know what we are right now. We're 0-6 and we're not a real good team right now. So I don't like it. You can use whatever words you want to call it, retooling, reloading, whatever the heck you want to call it, but it is what it is. We're rebuilding and I'm man enough to see that and say it. It's not a good place to be, not a good position to be in, but it's what we're in right now."

Click the link at top for full article...

Whether you think Chambers will or won't realize his potential, the dude brings a reputation. Solid player, solid teammate, and playmaker. He's going to make this team better on and off the field... but his reputation as a playmaker will put added pressure on defensive coordinators to gameplan for him. He may only get in the endzone a handful of times this season, but that will mean that everyone else's job is made easier each week. :tup:

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I just can't get over that we pulled this off. Just an amazing move by AJ Smith. The only thing that I don't like about it is that I have to wait another week to see it on the field.

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Cam Cameron is in for a bumpy road. Just my opinion.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    He was overrated to begin with. :yes:

5. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    An aging defense and an offense with no game changers at the skill positions and one of the worst o-lines in the NFL.

At least he has the miracle worker Hudson Houck working for him. :lol: Remember how the Chargers were getting grilled for letting that guy go? Three years with the Fish and he hasn't done shiat. I still contend that the huge drop off from the o-line in '05 had much more to do with Mauck than Houck. :yes:

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I was reading on FinHeaven that Jason Taylor may be looking to leave after the season. Same with Zach Thomas.

What are your thoughts about offering a 4th and 5th rounder for him and Zach?

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think the CC in Miami is one and done. I'm glad we got the other CC (Chambers) He's going to flourish here with us.

8. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Naw, I think they'll give him one more year. However, since this season is a total loss and they may finish no better than 4-12 (likely 1-15 or 2-14), he may have to go at least .500 next year to have a 3rd season with the Dolphins.

After all, remember what was said back on draft day. The Dolphins owner was asked about the Ted Ginn pick and if it was a good one. Wayne Huizenga said "It better be.". So, that means Cam is on the clock to have Ginn produce by the end of next year.

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Don't want Zach, he's injury prone and too old, and I don't really see where Taylor would play, I doubt we'd bench either Merriman or Phillips for him.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We need that week to work him into the schemes and terms and to acclimate to Rivers. A week from tomorrow, they push the plunger down on the detonator.

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    if that's the case then the Dolphins will look stupid because with that pile of crap masquerading as a team over there, hell Walsh, Lombardi, Madden or Coryell couldn't win

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Malcolm certainly is having a tough go of it there in Miami so far.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So far mostly good things being said about Chambers - some drops, but no big issues. He's definitely going to be an asset to the O & sounds like a stable guy in the locker room.

But why would we want Taylor OR Thomas?? :icon_huh:

14. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    For depth. Taylor could rotate as an OLB and Thomas could rotate as an ILB. That's why one would use just second day picks on them, picks that would pretty much be depth on our team anyway.

For the people that have been crying about losing Donnie, Zach Thomas >>>>>>> Donnie Edwards.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have players already in these positions. The cap room they would absord would cripple us. We need to bolster our offensive and defensive lines at this point. Depending on whose available our first and our third (should we get one for Donnie) should concern us with the nose and the right tackle. In point of fact, considering the state of the roster outside of the lines and Weddle and Oliver, I'd trade the whole second day for a number two-if we get a 3 for Edwards. We don't need to draft for depth at this point, we need to draft for guys who will eventually start. Next year's draft is represented by Oliver and Chambers. AJ has shown that he can acquire not only depth, but starters with the UDFAs. Don't know whose going to be available, but I could see a multiple draft choice trade for a vet rt tackle who ain't happy where he is. I suspect Olivea will do better at guard.

Call me irresponsible - call me unreliable
    Throw in undependable too
    Do my foolish alibis bore you
    Well I'm not too clever - I just adore you

Call me unpredictable - tell me I'm impractical
    Rainbows I'm inclined to pursue
    Call me irresponsible - yes I'm unreliable
    But it's undeniably true - I'm irresponsibly mad for you

I hope Erik Robertson is back in camp next year.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    RC has a good point here. It's getting harder for the lower tier draft picks to make this team. We've got some pretty good b/u players - we need a few new starters in certain positions. Those don't come cheap.

17. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112

Honestly they way they are playing currently, I'd be surprised if they won any games.

18. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Taylor wouldnt play on the same team as Merriman anyways....

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I wonder who made the overture for the trade. Was it A.j. or was it coming from cam and the dolphins organization.

My guess is it might have just been part of a casual talk between A.j. and CAm a week ago that A.j. might have mentioned he'd give up a second rounder for chambers cause we could use a solid expierenced wr right now. Cam might have gone to his owner and mentioned that. And the owner thought it over and said. "Sheet were not winning this year. Lets load up for the years ahead." And the deal was done.