1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jason Taylor talkn trash about Merriman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Dec 27, 2006.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    Taylor cites Merriman's steroid suspension in award race

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
    December 27, 2006

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor says the candidacy of his likely chief rival for NFL defensive player of the year, Shawne Merriman, was tainted by a four-game steroid suspension in November.

"You really shouldn't be able to fail a test like that and play in this league, to begin with," Taylor said Wednesday. "To make the Pro Bowl and all the other awards, I think you're walking a fine line of sending the wrong message."

Merriman, who plays outside linebacker for the San Diego Chargers, has denied he's a steroid cheat and blamed his positive test on a tainted supplement.

"A performance-enhancing drug is, obviously, what it is," Taylor said. "You enhance your performance by doing that. You fail that test, I think it's not right, it's against the rules and ultimately I think it's sending the wrong message to the youth in America and the people who look at this game not only as entertainment but also to learn lessons from it."

Taylor has been one of the few bright spots this season for Miami (6-9). In 15 games, he has 13 1/2 sacks, 10 fumbles forced and two interceptions, both returned for touchdowns.

Merriman leads the NFL with 16 sacks in 11 games for the AFC West champion Chargers (13-2). He has four forced fumbles and has one interception.

"He's always making plays," Taylor said. "He's one of the best young talents we have in this game right now as far as defensively, and he has had an unbelievable year. With that being said, there are certain rules and guidelines we have to abide by to play in this game."

Taylor made his comments in a conference calls with reporters in Indianapolis. The Dolphins conclude their season Sunday against the Colts.

AP Sports Writers Michael Marot in Indianapolis and Bernie Wilson in San Diego contributed to this report.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArahyVTiOhSGazK7K9GWXRlDubYF?slug=ap-dolphins-chargers-taylor-merriman&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    yeah, Jason Taylor will win it because the media that vote on this don't like Merriman as much right now. Taylor conveniently forgets that Merriman was blowing Taylor out of the water until the suspension began, and Taylor used the 4 games to catch up.

Without the suspension, Merriman would likely have broken Strahan's single season sack record that Favre helped Michael win, and then Taylor would be a mere afterthought in voters' minds, like a piece of snot left on the ground after a sneeze.

I guess players don't deserve second chances if they test positive for taking a tainted supplement they thought was clean.

After all, you can serve 4 months in prison for trying to set up a drug deal (Jamal Lewis), or be suspiciously involved in a shooting (Ray Lewis), you know, real CRIMINAL things. But oooh, test positive one time after taking a tainted supplement you thought was clean, nope, you are forever branded.

Yeah, let's make him ineligible for any Pro Bowl or DPOY consideration.

But hey! He can be named Defensive Player of the Week and to the All-Pro teams lists of the same people that don't think he should be in the Pro Bowl or DPOY.

Hyprocrites. All of them. Fark 'em!

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,468
    Jason wouldnt be talkin trash if he wasnt scared that Merriman really could take this award from him. Its not a coincedence that he said it after Merriman recorded another 3 sack game.

And should you really be considered for DMVP when your team is under 500 and your not gonna make the playoffs?

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +610
    bs, I bet if he where a teammate he would be supportive of Merriman

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,882
    being suspended for a steroid related incident would put a tint on anyone's bid for any MVP and we would be saying such if Taylor got busted instead of merriman

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    jason taylor is a whiney fish. Hypocrite as well. Cheats on his wife and he's calling merriman a cheater. If taylor would look into it he'd probably understand it was an accident. HAsn't been tested positive before or since the one positive. Ahhhh. Taylor you whiney little fish eat sheet.:icon_evil:

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Taylor is just saying what nearly everyone outside of Chargerland is saying and thinking. IMO, he didn't say anything even remotely resembling "trash talk". He simply stated the truth. I think Merriman deserves the award based on his performance. Taylor acknowledged Merriman's talent. But he also makes a good point about the message that may be sent to younger, aspiring athletes about the usage of performance enhancing drugs.

Taylor's been a pretty class act throughout his career. I'll give him a pass on this one.

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    The part that bug's me about the whole Merriman thing is the fact that he's the ONLY one the media wants to bring up. Has anyone heard what Shaun Rogers, from Detroit, was suspended for? NO! I can't remember the other 2 that were suspended at the same time.

The fact is that Merriman is in the spot light. He tested positive in a pre season test. Since then he's passed them all and not missed a beat. Do we take away what he did last season? Do you REALLY believe that he was trying to take a Performance inhancer to get better than last season? I find that hard to believe.

I guess we should take away Peppers DROY. because he tested for a "banned" substance. How about taking away all of OJ's records because he owe's money from a bogus Civil Suit? Michael Irvin ? Look at the crap he got into. He's up for the HOF. I can go on.

If I want to see chior boy's play on Sunday, I'll go to church! :icon_wtf:

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Exactly, these statements from Jason Taylor scream, "Vote For Me!!! Vote For Me!!!"

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  13. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I'm sure there have been others I'm not thinking of this season, so why does this only come up with Merriman? I think it's because he's just that good.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Truth...

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I never did like him...[​IMG]

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,468
    Merriman probably wont win, but it wont be because of the suspension. Itll be because Taylor has better stats, including 2 defensive TD's and a few INT's that Merriman doesnt.

18. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    Merriman - 11 games - 15.5 sack, 1 int,54 tackles
    Taylor - 15 games - 13.5 sacks,2 ints, 58 tackles, 2 tds

19. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +422
    Bottom line is that he is embarrased that a guy who played fewer games than he did has had a better season.....if he had played in the 4 games he missed he would have had about 21-22 sacks and Taylor wouldnt be even sniffing DPOY! He is a B!tch and that is it.

20. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    If Merriman can put up two more sacks in the last game and show 18 sacks in 12 games it will be very hard to vote against him. That is a sick year.

But you have to give Taylor credit for forcing all those fumbles, 10 is a huge number. That is probably the key stat that may swing it in his favor. That is disruptive football.

Merriman paid his dues. If they change the rules so steroid user are ineligible I could live with that. But that isn't the rule now so you have to look at what he has done on the field and nothing else.

I could live with Merriman not getting it. There were four games where he didn't produce a single tackle or sack. And it would make him good and pissed off coming into the playoffs and next season.

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    jason taylors a lil b!tch, he deserves to be trout slapped, doom on you jason :tdown:

22. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Jason Taylor is actually a nice guy. I met him a while ago he is a class act. Obviously he wants to win the award and it means one of two things; he hates cheaters or he himself is on roids :yes: Don't forget how many chitty incidents Taylor has gotten into because of nogood scumbags (I'm not even talking about the NFL). He should be a cop when he retires. The only thing that he should be aware of is that he should get the facts straight before he says anything but again, he clearly just wants the award so he doesn't care about facts.

23. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    PS: I think Taylor edges out Merriman by next to nothing but that many people who initially called Merriman a cheater have huge boners for him and will vote for him.

24. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,057

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    It's tough to hate a guy like Taylor but he shouldn't have said all of this publicly. Should be interesting when he and Shawne meet in Hawaii.

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'm thinking the same thing. I'm sure they'll hash it out just fine.

We know what Taylor said, but we don't know what the question was. Could have been many questions for that matter. These writers were fishing for a very specific outcome and they got it. I'll be interested to see if Taylor clarifies his comments at all, or if he'll just wait 'til he gets to Hawaii to discuss it with Shawne.

27. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This isn't good for Kurt Warner :no: . It's not like Shawne needed any more motivation but this has to piss him off and in the UT article it sure pissed some of his teammates off.

28. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    He's just making sure the Media never forgets that Merriman took steroids so he can win defensive play of the year

29. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    looks like our guys have a different opinion

“I think he's had a terrific year,” Merriman said. “I've watched Jason Taylor for many years, but that's not the rules. The rules were I got suspended for four games, which I took pretty hard.... My thing is I really don't comment on other players around the league, because that's not my place.”

,” Oben said. “... Let him retire and go become a sportswriter or sportscaster, and then he can go say that. I think that's something he's going to regret.

“You don't make a comment about what another player has done (such as) he doesn't deserve (something). Someone could say he's the only shining star on a bad football team. Someone could say that about Jason Taylor. Yeah, he's playing hard, but he's obviously saying that because he wants to win (the award). It's just selfish. He looks like (a jerk). It's the most selfish act I've ever seen to make a comment like that.”

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    Filled in the appropriate blank...

JT stop being a politician and prove that you deserve the award on the field you whiny little biatch. :trout: