1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jason Taylor?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, May 15, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think this is just a bunch of speculation from Pro Football Weekly. Interesting to ponder though. Would you be for bringing in Jason Taylor if he would play here for an very much reduced amount? I say the Chargers just don't need him.

2. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I don't see how he fits on this team. He's too small to play DE, and not athletic enough to learn OLB this late in his career. He's a situational pass rush player only.

Situational guys sometimes get stuck playing on other downs because of injuries. What happens then? If he's playing DE, opponents will just run over him. If he's playing OLB, then by formation and motion an offense will keep trying to get him matched up on a RB or athletic TE.

He doesn't fit and he's too expensive. AJ can better use the available cap to frontload a contract for one or more of our young players coming up on extensions.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    He'd have to take a hell of a pay cut, come relatively cheap via trade, and be willing to take a reduced role in the grand scheme of things. So yeah, no way he's coming the SD.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We need to save the money in order to keep OUR stars. :tup:

Besides, I'm not sure that we can keep enough crying towels around for him when he doesn't get all of the attention he thinks he deserves. Let him stay in Miami & eat popcorn in January.

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Jason Taylor? Just say "No". :icon_banana:

6. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    "...we hear there’s a chance the Chargers may be tempted if Taylor is willing to take a significant pay cut. Taylor does long to be on a Super Bowl contender — which the Chargers are — and the proximity to Hollywood could be tempting for the aspiring actor."

OMG, what a bunch of crap.... :lol:

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Sounds like the guy is talking about Marcellus Wiley! :tdown:

8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I don't know... a guy like Taylor might just take a paycut to get a ring at this stage in his career. I would entertain it.

9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yeah, a significant one.

But ask yourselves, if we had him, where in the hell would he line up? Which one of our starters do you wanna bench for JT?

10. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I am not advocating getting JT but the answer is easy. You pull Igor on obvious passing downs and put JT at DE. Then let the offense guess who is coming.

The question is. Would JT accept a big paycut? Would he accept a part time pass rusher role? How much would he cost the Chargers?

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    With all the other things JT would have to accept, more importantly.... would he accept a one year contract?

Though we do have till the end of the 09 season to resign Rivers, Merriman, and McNeill. So we could just let JT walk if we don't have room for him. Still, Chargers should try and get those guys signed before that time.

Bottom line... not worth the effort.

12. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    fixed it 4 ya :icon_wink::wave::abq1:

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Don't think it will happen. The fact that JT was calling out Merriman would be reason enough. Did they bury hatchet or is there still that animosity between them? Talk about fuking with team chemistry.

14. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Thank you. I was remiss in leaving out the reference to the underworld. :lol:

:icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    He will probably end up playing for the gay Pats. :icon_rofl:

16. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Doubt it… :no:
    There’s no way the Tuna will trade him within the division, and especially not to the cheating Chowderheads!

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is going to be an interesting round of negotiations if the owners opt out of the CBA. It means we won't have to sweat cap room with these quys, so it will be up the Spanos family what they want to spend. They don't have to give any one player an outlandish contract, but the can all get what they would deem acceptable without us having to do any terribly adroit maneuvering contract restructuring.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That would be a great offshoot of the CBA getting pulled. On the flip side, big maarket teams would be able to go out & buy championships, like the Yankees have done, or at least attempted to do.

19. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I would think that the more equitable revenue sharing of the NFL compared to baseball would make that more difficult. There is some revenue imbalance but it's not as lopsided as baseball. There are some teams with enormous cap room whose owners are cheap skates and operate under performing teams. There are others who spend like drunken sailors and still fail. We have the advantage of being a long term contender as well. Would Rivers, Merriman, Gates or McNeil go to a team with a poor chance of consistent success if they could get a decent contract here? It's not like there is a reliable San Diego discount, but if you add the obvious competence of the organization to the pleasures of San Diego as a place to live and a place to win, then the incentives to move would have to really big. It's also a two way street, if the Spanos family wants to fill any holes that a raid by another team could create. They just have to open the check book-and they have a fat one. How many guys would jump at the chance to come here.

I've been thinking about Jason Taylor for a bit. I am thinking, that as a situational player used as an edge rusher, he doesn't offer any thing that Jyles Tucker doesn't. Taylor is a bit taller, but Tucker is physically stronger and appears to be just as quick and fast as Taylor in his prime.

20. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Great minds think alike - so do us weak ones. :)

21. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

I was implying they have a quest for going after aging players. They recently went after Zach Thomas, but he chose the Cowboys over them.

They would go after him if he was released.

22. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    dallas is the worst team in the nfc east..

23. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    really?

You think that Dallas is worse than the Giants, the Redskins, and the Eagles? :unsure:

24. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I don't see Taylor becoming a Charger, unless A.J. Smith concludes that the team just doesn't have enough good dancers. :yawn:

:lol:

25. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Yes, we fit perfectly into the same spiraling groove, spinning ever more quickly as we close in on the hole at the bottom of the cone.

26. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

Dallas is my pick for the SB in the NFC. As long as Romo doesn't date anybody more famous than him. :lol:

27. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Rod Woodson must still be smarting over the 1994 AFC Championship game, just saw NFL Total Acess and was asked what team is the best fit for Taylor, of course he's entitled to his opinion, but of the following teams he mentioned which is closer to a SB: The Raiders, The Redskins, Eagles. [needle going over a vynil record type screech] = the Raiders????

Personally I don't think AJ would pull the trigger on a deal for Taylor unless

1.- It's a great fit for the Chargers defensive scheme
    2.- It's within our draft pick limitations, no more than a 3rd rounder for s 34 year old DE, that has acting aspirations and therefore more interted in outside or peripheral activities not related to winning a SB for San Diego.
    3.- That Taylor fit under our salary structure.

As I said, it's Woodson's opinion, but I feel pretty certain there is some anti-Chargers bias from him getting beat by Humpries to Alfred Pupunu! in the 94 AFCCG!

Stan :rivers17:

28. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I believe Miami has been playing a 3-4 since Saban arrived but still doubt this is going to happen.

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    They are primarily a 4-3D team, but they have run the 3-4. Taylor is more built for the 4-3 for his size.

We do run the 4-3 on obvious passing downs, so seeing Taylor and Merriman on one side would scare the **** out of the LT and the QB. :icon_eek:

30. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Official! Jason Taylor is a Charger!

Ummm why? I wonder if S.M. really did get caught with roids? Why would you we pick him up? Just saw this on E.S.P.N. accoring to Hacksaw. He had said, he wanted to play for a Super Bowl contender and was not asking much at all to play for one.:tup: