1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Jay Cutler an inspirtation to us all

Discussion in 'Smack Talk' started by bronofan, Nov 21, 2008.

1. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Life of Reilly
    Jay Cutler didn't plan on being a role model. Now he has no choice.
    by Rick Reilly

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images

Is your 401(k) suddenly a 201(k)? Did the election turn your yard full of signs into a political graveyard? Need something to feel happy about in life?

Take a look at Jay Cutler's BlackBerry. The Broncos quarterback will let you if you ask. His PR guy sends him e-mails, dozens a week, like this one:

Dear Sir:
    We believe Jay saved our son. Sam is a high school freshman who plays football. He'd lost a lot of weight, but we did not know if it was from the intense summer workouts or not. He was drinking a great deal of water, eating a lot and still losing weight (25 pounds). We read an article about Jay and made the appointment. Sam was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and sent to the hospital. He hopes to be back at practice soon. We just want Jay to know the great impact he's had on our lives.

"PARENTS PANIC. YOU CAN DIE FROM THIS."

Which is crazy, because when Cutler first hit the NFL, he seemed like the last guy to help anybody.

Shy and mop-haired, he led the league in shrugs. He looked like he had terminal influenza. The bags under his eyes had bags. And yet he'd sleep 10 hours at night and three more after practice. He lost 35 pounds in the 2007 season alone. He couldn't concentrate. He was starting to look like the biggest bust since Lindsay Lohan. And that's when he found out he had diabetes. Or rather, it had him.

"At first I thought, I can beat this," he says. "But after two weeks, I was like, Why me? Why do I have to poke myself 20 times a day? You feel sorry for yourself. Then I came to grips with it. I realized it wasn't going away. And I realized I wasn't the only one."

Hi Jay,
    My son Chase, 11, was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He is being so brave. He has given himself every shot! One of the first questions he asked: "Can I still play football?" Someone told him about your condition, and you could see the wheels turning! I know it sucks, but thank you for giving my son a mentor.

Cutler is lucky. "I got it when I was 24. I'm an adult. I can handle things. But if you're 4 or 5, it's gotta feel like the worst thing in the world. Parents panic at first. They know you can possibly die from this."

When Jay's diabetes was diagnosed, his blood glucose levels were between 300 and 400. Normal levels after eating are around 140 to 160. Had he not treated it, Cutler could've slipped into a diabetic coma.

That panicked another parent—Cutler's mom, Sandy. She wanted to move in and help him. Cutler refused. He wanted to do it all himself.

Life of Reilly Bonus Content

* Bobcats F Adam Morrison can tell Jay Cutler all about his new role.

He was awful at it. "The first week, my left hand was trashed with finger-prick test marks. You're paranoid, but you figure it out."

Dear Jay Cutler,
    You signed an autograph for my 10-year-old grandson. I did not have a chance to tell you how much you mean to diabetic kids like him who really need role models. Some of these kids worry about whether they will be able to lead a "normal" life when they get older. They wonder about pretty heavy things like being able to go to college, to have a career and a family. You convince these kids that by managing their disease, they are capable of being anything they want to be.

What Cutler wants to be is a normal QB, but he never will be. From now on, he'll have more holes than a Jessica Simpson movie.

Gamedays, he gets so geeked to play that his adrenaline drives his blood glucose levels up, so he has to check himself after every first-quarter possession. He can do it in under 30 seconds. If he's low, he drinks orange juice or eats chocolate. If he's high, he injects himself in the stomach with insulin. All while coaches yell stuff at him. You think Eli Manning has to mess with this stuff?

"I'm amazed by him," says Broncos trainer Steve Antonopulos. "He's taken control of this. People come to him with questions."

Dear Sir,
    If you saw the look on my 6-year-old's face watching you discuss diabetes on TV, you would have shed a tear. I have now been summoned to buy a Broncos jersey. We are the biggest Jets fans possible. But my son saw a glimmer of hope with Jay, so how can I resist?

Who'd have thought the mope would become the hope?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,629
    I wasn't aware Jay Cutler was the first person in history to have diabetes. What an hero he is.

• Like Like x 1
  3. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    You're right! Everyday I feel kind of sick to my stomach. Then I think of Jay Cutler and realize I have to take a crap. He inspires my colon!

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Bronofan, are you banned from the Bronco forums or something? Why all the sudden are you posting stuff in here that we do not give a rats *** about? Cutler isnt the first person to have to deal with Diabetes.

Why dont you post this stuff in a Bronco forum where it can be disgused by others who care because we dont.

Please take your manlove for this guy to where it can be appreciated. This isnt the place.
    Cutler isnt the only player to have to overcome an illness. David Garrard had to battle Colitus, Minnesota DE Udeze is battling Leukemia, others have battled Bi-Polar desease and others have battled acholholism.

Boohoo........Cutler has Diabetes. I dont wish that on anyone but stop trying to make this dikweed look like a saint because his trashtalking arrogant antics is not the work of a saint.

Just go away dude!

5. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I just figured you guys would like to talk about something positive for a change. I figured you guys were sick of all the fire Norv, AJ, and Rivers threads.:icon_shrug:

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The positive thing would need to be Chargers related thank you.

Not Bronco related. Thank you again.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Very old story, surprised it would take a huge fan of donkey c*ck so long to find it.

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I think you've got us confused for a group of people who give a s**t ! :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    He cant even spell his own name right, you want him to keep up with progress also?

10. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Dear Sir,
    If you saw the look on my 6-year-old's face watching you discuss diabetes on TV, you would have shed a tear. I have now been summoned to buy a Broncos jersey. We are the biggest Jets fans possible. But my son saw a glimmer of hope with Jay, so how can I resist?

:crying:

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    thats what you get for thinking!

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    into the smack talk area (and your lucky its not in the trash)

13. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    But Cutler is trash!

14. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Dear Sir:
    We believe Jay saved our son. Sam is a high school freshman who plays football. He'd lost a lot of weight, but we did not know if it was from the intense summer workouts or not. He was drinking a great deal of water, eating a lot and still losing weight (25 pounds). We read an article about Jay and made the appointment. Sam was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and sent to the hospital. He hopes to be back at practice soon. We just want Jay to know the great impact he's had on our lives.

:crying:

15. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Sorry for your Son and good news that you caught it but we dont need you to be posting crap about Cutler in here. Go to a Broncos' board and do it where they already love the guy. We in here do not.
    And BTW......just because you read about Cutler doesnt mean HE saved your Son. You just happened to read an article that turned a light on in your head. Pat yourself on the back for having the insight to take your Son to a Dr. and get the right diagnosis.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Dude:icon_rofl:

I quoted that from the article.

17. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Jay Cutler is a douchebag not a hero. My cousin has diabetes and is ranked 3 in the state of florida in rb's that is high school.

Stop posting here you're annoying, nobody gives an ape **** about that prick.

:icon_evil:

18. Boltjolt

Ratings:
    +402
    Ok ......still, go post this stuff someplace where somebody gives a **** because we dont.

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    If you are looking for someone who gives a S*** about you, look underneath the hole on the tiolet seat!

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    so you and Cutler are both Trash!

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,643
    Wow
    your douchiness is rapidly approaching cutler's, that takes a special level of *******

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    [​IMG]

23. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,698
    my cousin has type 1 diabetes - he almost died before being diagnosed 15 years ago at the age of 21 - now he is married with kids and voluteers to spread awareness for the disease. the difference between him and Jay Cutler? he's not a whiny *****.

go back to your hole donkey lover :p

• Like Like x 1
  24. Boltage Bimbo

Boltage Bimbo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Cutler is not the first and unfortunately won't be the last. Bronofan, you seem to be the only one here who cares. Take this to your Donkey forums and see if you can rally some support with it.

Attached Files:

25. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I know who you are. :yes:

FF#1

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Your 6 year old son paid attention to someone discussing diabetes on TV? You're full of **it!!! Especially if you're Jets fans.

27. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Do you people not read the article. I mean seriously. You are the second person that didn't catch a quote I put in the article.

Jay Cutler is an American Hero:yes:

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    [​IMG]

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,643

:icon_eek:
    DUMBEST
    EVAH!
    :icon_twisted:

30. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Damn Straight, the real US heroes are the ones in Iraq, Afghanistan risking it all.:flag:

Not Big Mistake Jay

• Like Like x 1