1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jay Cutler for NFL MVP?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by bronofan, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.nfldraftdog.com/NFL%20Team%20Columns/denver_broncos_nfl_team_column.htm

Jay Cutler for NFL MVP

I am putting in my vote for Jay Cutler as NFL MVP. The primary criteria for MVP, is how valuable a player is to his respective team. So the question that arises is there any question is there any team that has had success needed a single player more than Jay Cutler. First let’s look at the other candidates.

1. Kurt Warner, Arizona

2. Drew Brees, New Orleans

3. Clinton Portis, Washington

4. Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee

Other Possible Front Runners: Kerry Collins, Tennessee, Eli Manning, New York

1. Kurt Warner is having a career revival. He is playing airball down in the desert chucking it everywhere leading the lowly Cardinals to a possible playoff birth. He is also the biggest challenger to Cutler for MVP, but he does have a few other contributors to help him out. There are the two proven pro-bowl receivers to work with in Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Bolin. You could argue that both of those players are also up for MVP of the Cardinals. Cutler has a very good receiving duo in Brandon Marshall and rookie Eddie Royal, but with a combined experience of 2 years coming into the season and no pro-bowls. Warner does have a much better defense than Cutler as well currently ranked 11th in the NFL.

2. Drew Brees is currently the passing yards leader and has a little bit better stats than both Cutler and Warner. The problem is that he has made a lot of mistakes by throwing INTs that will likely cost his team from making the playoffs. He does have a bad defense to work with, but not as bad as Cutler.

3. Clinton Portis is having a very good season. Though usually for a RB to take MVP his team has to win the division or cross the 2,000 yard or 26 TD marks. I am also not sure if he is more important than Jason Campbell to his team.

4. Albert Haynesworth leads the best Defense in the NFL and the only undefeated team with a 10-0 record. The record speaks more to the team and a Defensive Tackle is only part of a great defensive line. I think that the team would be at least 6-4 without Haynesworth.

So now let’s get to Jay Cutler. He is not only elite at his position statistically he is also making plays that not very many QBs could make and willing his team to victories. The Denver Broncos would be a lucky 2-8 with another QB starting for them shy of Peyton Manning. Jay is now winning with no starting RB and a defense that is ranked 29th in the league. That means that there are only 3 teams that have worse defenses to work with.

4th quarter game winning performances:

@Atlanta 24-20 - TD throw to take lead in 4th Qtr with 5 minutes left on 3rd and 7

@Cleveland 34-30 - 3 TD passes in the 4thquarter and 477 yards for the game.

Lost 3 LBs and 2 RBs to injury.

San Diego 39-38 - Leads game winning drive by tossing tying touchdown and 2 pt conversion.

Denver would be 3-7 if they had lost those games and all but out of the playoff picture.

The other 3 wins were very much attributed to Cutler playing very well if not flawless football

@Oakland 41-14 - Cutler throws for 300 yards and 2 TDs. Cutler played a perfect game.

New Orleans 34-32 - Cutler throws for 264 and 2 TDs in a shootout.

Tampa Bay 16-13 – Defense Played well for a change and Cutler didn’t throw an INT

Everyone knows how bad the Denver D is, but also with no running game it is all on Jay Cutler’s shoulders. There is no other team in the league that wins on being carried on the shoulders like the Denver Broncos ride on Jay Cutler.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Never gonna happen. It'll be Kurt Warner, Kerry Collins or Brandon Jacobs. That'l be the top three with Warner or Collins winning.

3. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree if anyone deserves it, it is Kurt Warner. I don't know if Kerry Collins really has a shot and Brandon Jacobs is injured. If Warner keeps racking up those yards and TD's he deserves the MVP.

But Cutler has only 300 less yards and 1 less TD pass than Warner does. If he gets hot and finishes with a better record than Warner, you could make a strong case for Jay Cutler.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    why isnt this thread in the smack section where it belongs so we can deal with it accordingly?

5. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    He's not even in the discussion. He has middle of the road stats and slightly above middle of the road Wins.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

I was kinda wondering if dood thought he was on the wrong board or something.

:icon_huh::icon_huh::icon_huh:

7. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    How many QB's in the league could win games and put up nice numbers without a runningback? Cutler has ZERO players healthy on his team who have been to the pro bowl the past 3 years.

And he is leading in a division that has a team with 12.

8. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    dood you havent played anyone good, the Patriots are semi good and they killed you, who cares if Cutler has no RB vs the Browns and Atlanta they both are not really good football teams, by the end of the year cutler will have 25 tds and 20 ints thats not a MVP

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

10. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    The only reason ****ler is looking so good is because he's targetted Marshall 111 times this season. Basically, Marshall is making ****ler look good. The whiny little ***** cracks under pressure, and it's been shown. I honestly believe it's luck that's provided him with a majority of his wins this season.

Take away Marshall and ****ler is nothing but a whiny ***** with "the strongest arm evar in the ENEFEL." Fvck him.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I did not think that eating Rocky Mountain Oysters effected the Brain like some other drugs do. We should tell Cheech and Chong that, they could do a another whole series of movies!

Up in the Meadow

The Farmers brothers

The farmer Brothers next movie

Nice Cow

Still Farming

12. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    12 pro bowlers huh? Can you name them for us?

13. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where there's Rocky Mountain Oysters there's Cheech & Chong

Shanarat and His Old Lady

:lol::lol::lol:

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Bronofan - WHY ARE YOU HERE? :icon_shrug:

Jay Cutler is a waste of space - long live his reign in Denver.

15. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    He's a Brono fan.

16. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    wow a donky fan picking J Cutler 4 MVP
    wht r the odds of that :icon_huh::icon_huh::icon_shrug:

u should post this thread @
    cards
    titians
    giants
    falcons
    raves

MB's

and tell them how jc si better than their QB

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    You can't even spell broncofan correctly.

Opinion invalidated.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yup. No QB that has his team at a 10-0 start should be even considered!!! :rolleyes:

19. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    He is not the Most Valuable player on that team. That would be Haynesworth, Vandenbosh, Bullock, Finnegan, Chris Johnson, and THEN Kerry Collins.

20. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Disagree.

The Titans wouldn't be 10-0 with Vince Young playing QB.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

EXACTLY!!!!!

22. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    They would be 10-0 with Romo, Cutler, Peyton, Eli, Big Ben... and pretty much every other teams starting QB.

Are you telling me Kerry Collins is the best player in the league? Now that is funny.:lol:

23. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    :icon_rofl:"Brono" Fan.

24. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    No, funny is some dickwad telling us Cutler is the best player in the league

25. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Where did I say that? :icon_huh:
    I said with Vince Young. :yes:
    I think you may know who he is? :icon_shrug:

MVP isn't supposed to be the best player in the league.

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

You have nothing to back that and I highly doubt they would be 10-0 with Young starting.

It's not only about your personal stats, it's how far your take your team.
    Collins has his team in the Playoffs, we'll see who deep he gets them.
    Warner will get his team to the playoffs unless they take a major nose dive. We'll see how deep he gets them.

Them there's also setting record breaking numbers like LT in 2006.
    Cutler is not on his way to record breaking numbers and does not have his team in the playoffs yet.

27. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    :lol: Here we go again. Denver wins a game and they throw Cutler back in the discussion.
    For some reason they really want him to be a star. Too bad he isnt .

28. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Collins doesnt even deserve to be on the list. He hasnt really done anything but not make mistakes. Great running game and a great defense.

Tyler Thigpen would have them in first with that team.

29. bronofan

bronofan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I have nothing to back that? I remember when he was in Carolina, New York, and Oakland and he is just an average QB.

If ANYONE on that Titans roster is going to be the MVP it would be Haynesworth.

Cutler is setting franchise records and is keeping his team in the playoff hunt. I think if Cutler keeps playing like he has the past few weeks and the Broncos win the rest of their games he WILL win the MVP. But I doubt we will win the rest of our games....

30. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I remember when he was at Penn St. but you still didn't answer my question! :no: