1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

JEEZ!!! Don't fire, or cut anyone!!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by OverVolt, Sep 23, 2007.

1. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Man I'm glad I stayed out of here for a couple hours...just to cool down.
    You come in here and read all this crap, and it makes CHarger fans look like a bunch of idiots.
    Yes we should be pissed, and yes we all thought this team would pick up were it left off...but the fact is A.J. hired Norv, so anyone with any football knowledge should have braced themselves for the possiblity this team might, at the very least look like pretenders for the first several weeks.
    Lets face a couple facts.
    First, we let go one of the best coaches at taking a sorry team and turning them into winners...to get a coach that takes sorry teams and keeps them at that level.
    Even now, we simply have no idea what we are in for, is this just a period of adjustment, or is what I precive as a "yes man" head coach, with a milk toast toughness starting to impart his personality on our team...that is the question to which we don't know yet.
    We need to "stay the coarse" (damn I hate to use that term) with our players, these are all good players. Yes Hart drifted and cost a TD, but this is his first year starting, give him the same chance Jammer got...yes Rivers choked when it counted, but he was able to show allot more in this game than the other two combined.
    Stop slamming the players, we all know what these players can do, they did it 14 times last year.
    It's now on this coaching staff and A.J.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    You, know, you are one of the few who aren't going into full ballistic "Chicken Little" mode. :tup:

I posted last week that I predicted 4-2 by the BYE week.

I also posted that I'd allow a Green Bay loss if it meant a win in Denver (where I predicted a win in Green Bay and loss in Denver). That would be a better 4-2 than what I predicted.

4-2 and 3-0 division. Three straight wins against our division rivals to enter the BYE week, and regain confidence and momentum. :tup: :yes:

3. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree the Chargers will be fine.

Today they just happened to play against the greatest Quarterback of all time.

[​IMG]

The phenomenal arm of The Great and Wonderful, Brett Favre.

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

And every one agrees, you are a waste of skin

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    IDK about the greatest of all time, I'm a Joe Montana fan :lol:
    I said from the get-go don't let Favre get us into a 'i can win the game' scenario, he did and we paid. You guys played a good game. Don't mind getting flamed from the rest of the board, your a decent guy.

6. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18

Well I'm not sure I agree the Chargers will be fine, at this time I'm sort of leaning the other way...but all these idiots that need to find a player to blame, or fire a coach right now, have no clue about this game...they are really more of a fan of some other sport such as baseball or basketball, in those simple sports it's easy, football is much harder to sort out.
    I'm willing to wait and see how the games go until our bye, by then we'll know if it's coaches getting to know players, and vice-versa...or just poor coaching period.
    So until then, I'll just drown my sorrow:icon_party: pass the Patron

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I agree don't fire or cut anyone (yet), but it is time to start thinking about shifting our starting safties around. All of us expect Weddle to be a starter before the season is out - how many games do we have to lose before that change is finally made?

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I hated the Cottrell hiring in the first place. He is sucking here just as i feared he would . If he comes out and says he is going to step it up, its my guess its AJ who chewed his *** and told him to step it up because he is wasting the talent on our defense.

Im not panicking but i do hate the fact that Cottrell is taking this defense DOWN a level when we should be better than last years defense.

Cottrell is who i thought he was!

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Two .... and counting.

10. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Rivers played well and was well protected by the O-line.

The O-line did not open running lanes. The Packer D-line is one of the best in the league and rotates guys a lot keeping them fresh.

The offense is fine.

I was suprised with the Packer O-line doing well enough against the Charger D-line. I didn't see a lot of blitzing or disguised trickery in blitzs. Favre really only was pressured when he hung onto the ball too long.

Sitting back and trying to defend against Brett Favre is not a good strategy. Blitzing him and leaving receivers open on short routes is not good either.

The coaches and the players are still learning to work together.

The Chargers haven't played a divisional game yet.
    AND
    They don't face Brett Favre or Tom Brady every week.

The Chargers will be fine.

11. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    This is what gets me. Nothing against you, but some people are watching completely different games I guess. You can't expect your DB's to cover guys for 6-7 seconds. A mediocre QB can make you look bad if you give him that much time in the pocket......a guy like Farve will downright make swiss cheese out of your defensive backfield.
    There is zero defensive push upfront with the same personell as last year. The majority of the defensive coaches out there at the college and pro level would tell you it would have been a dream come true to be handed such talent on defense. There is no doubt in my mind that if we still had Wade today (and Norv was still HC), our defense would overcome the shortcomings on offense and we'd at least be 2-1 if not 3-0.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    FYAJ!!!!

13. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Right now I just don't know...it just seems to me, the biggest change I see is one of attitude. This team doesn't seem to have that smash mouth attitude anymore...and we all know that teams take on the attitude of their coach.
    The offense did play a fair game against GB, but the fact is running the ball, and playing defense is allot of attitude...attitude we seem to have lost.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Can we fire Trumpet_Man at least?

15. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Not until he becomes director of talent scouts...then he'd have to go.
    As long as he's posting in here, and blowin' his...horn, he's harmless.

16. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    [​IMG]

YOU'RE FIRED

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Can we put him on Super Secret Probation?:icon_shrug:

18. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Sorry - nothing against you - but it doesn't wash. In the last two weeks our D has given up 69 points... If you choose to worry about having the offense overcome our affliction on effective defense that is your choice. I won't be buying any of it but that is entirely up to you. You are allowed to have your opinions, but I am also going to have mine. :icon_toast:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We need to rediscover the ancient lost arts of rushing the passer.

20. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes I agree, we would be 2-1, because Favre wouldn't have had all day to stand back there and wait for a reciever to uncover.
    If this D was playing like last year's, he'd have been on his arse several more times, and been forced into a couple INT's.
    Last year this D would have made an impact...made a difference. THis year the only game they have made any difference in was the Bears, and that's one sorry offense, so I'm not so sure it was our D, as much as it was their O.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    our linebackers are strong in this art, they must just be released

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Talk to the guardian of the gate... Cottrell...

23. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The "pass rush" excuse .....

I agree that a good pass rush will most certainly help (and cover up poor safety play on top of it), but the pass rush had nothing to do with McCree taking a late head shot at a WR. The pass rush had nothing to do with Hart taking false steps, a bad angle, and then being a spectator as GB's WR raced past him for the go ahead TD. The pass rush has nothing to do with Hart or Cro dropping potential interceptions that clanked off their hands.

Hart and McCree hurt this team one hell of a lot more than they help this team. Their biggest boneheads plays have nothing to do with a crappy pass rush.

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    + Running the ball down the other teams throat by dominating the line

25. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I thought our outside backers did rush allot, but Merriman kept doing the same thing over and over. He'd take an outside rush, and the linemen were easily handling him. Not once did I see him spin it back to the inside...it seemed he took the same path on every blitz.
    If that's by design, then it's piss poor design.

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    We need someone to challenge the manhood of our O line, D line and LBs.:yes:

Get them pizzed and sick them on the Chiefs!

27. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

Fixed it for you.

28. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I hope we learn how to tackle this week.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It just irritates the heck out of me to see pros tackling with their shoulders, while their fists are clenched to their chests.

First think you learn is to WRAP UP!

30. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Way too early to cut or fire anyone...not too early to be pissed that our glorious team from last season has been a joke so far this season. At least they looked like they had played in the NFL before last week. They are improving.